Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

So Where Is The Autel EVO 1 Inch? | I Flew 6 Hours To Ask

Back in January, I would have spent the extra $ for the 1" sensor.... Now, not so much. I wonder when those new things Tim is saying, will happen. If ever

That was interesting..... At first, I thought he was kinda dodging the question, but it makes sense to not offer a 1” when you consider the cost of development, and ROI. It would be a totally new camera, requiring unique h/w-s/w engineering to support it. How much better would the imagery be? For me I’d be worth it, I’d probably buy it... How many others would for $1300-1400-1500?

Last edited:
From what I can tell, the Mavic 2 Pro camera is only marginally better than the Evo cam - IF that. I find the Evo cam REALLY good. The question would be how much better would a 1in version be if the cam they have now already compares positively with a 1in sensor cam. If that difference is small, it would further degrade the business case...

LP

Reactions: Phillyjon
If a 1/2.3 sensor camera can bring those results. Imagine what a full inch sensor could do. Include in that package no geofencing, it would be the drone of choice for the masses.

From what I can tell, the Mavic 2 Pro camera is only marginally better than the Evo cam - IF that. I find the Evo cam REALLY good. The question would be how much better would a 1in version be if the cam they have now already compares positively with a 1in sensor cam. If that difference is small, it would further degrade the business case...

LP

If a 1/2.3 sensor camera can bring those results. Imagine what a full inch sensor could do. Include in that package no geofencing, it would be the drone of choice for the masses.
But would the masses pay an extra $300-400 for it? Would Autel ever get a return on the investment to develop it? I just don’t think so...

Reactions: Madhungarian

LP
The Mavic 2 Pro with it’s fancy Hasselblad lens, can’t even do 4K/60, it’s 4K/30 only. From everything I’ve read, only the Phantom 4 Advanced & Pro V2 beats the Evo camera, and not dramatically...

But would the masses pay an extra $300-400 for it? Would Autel ever get a return on the investment to develop it? I just don’t think so...
If they spent their time in R&D for the 1" sensor from the start, they would have invested about the same as they did for the current one. Now that they released the 1/2.3 one, it would be a waste of money to do research for the 1". If the end result would be better than the Mavic 2 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro, Evolve (if they do release the 1" or the other fancy camera); it is my honest opinion that people will be willing to shelve out up to $2,000 for it. You must understand that the demographic of people who are currently buying drones, are people who can afford that kind of spending.

The Mavic 2 Pro with it’s fancy Hasselblad lens, can’t even do 4K/60, it’s 4K/30 only. From everything I’ve read, only the Phantom 4 Advanced & Pro V2 beats the Evo camera, and not dramatically...
The M2P can't do 4K60 because it makes the drone overheat (according to DJI) and the Phantom series can achieve 4K60 in H.264 only. H.265 is limited to 30fps. Then again, the Phantom 4 Pro series is 2016 tech. If Autel actually released the 1" sensor with 4k60 in h.265, 10-bit camera, it would make it the best consumer drone in the market.

Ever wonder why DJI has not and from all reports will not be coming out with anything new for a while? I think Autel is also watching the giant for his next move so they don't get left behind again. Just a thought I was having looking into my foggy crystal ball.

Ever wonder why DJI has not and from all reports will not be coming out with anything new for a while? I think Autel is also watching the giant for his next move so they don't get left behind again. Just a thought I was having looking into my foggy crystal ball.
Yea, it is curious. Obviously it’s a business decision to keep consumer drones where they are, and concentrate on commercial equipment, especially services. Microsoft, Amazon and Apple are making a quiet bundle on services. DJI seems to be headed in that direction? DJI Enterprise - Drone Solutions for Your Business - DJI

Maybe because of the image processor. The Evo has a powerful one, that is why it can do 10bit H265.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Personalty I think it would be a mistake for Autel to chase after a 1 inch camera. The 1 inch cameras out there right now are not that much better than the one we have now.
I would much rather them work on the controller fix those cheap antennas better yet expand on the idea of the built in screen so we do away with all the extra phones and tablets. Design one like the Evolve is doing. I would pay extra for that.

Personalty I think it would be a mistake for Autel to chase after a 1 inch camera. The 1 inch cameras out there right now are not that much better than the one we have now.
I would much rather them work on the controller fix those cheap antennas better yet expand on the idea of the built in screen so we do away with all the extra phones and tablets. Design one like the Evolve is doing. I would pay extra for that.

This ^

If you think 1" sensor is a waste, wait till you see difference in low light. 1" performs much better and you don't get artefacts as quickly. You also get 20MP stills and in the case of M2P/P4P you also get variable aperture.

Evo camera is great no doubt, I suspect they may need to alter the drones power train to a 4S like they did with mavic due to increase payload.

If you think 1" sensor is a waste, wait till you see difference in low light. 1" performs much better and you don't get artefacts as quickly. You also get 20MP stills and in the case of M2P/P4P you also get variable aperture.

Evo camera is great no doubt, I suspect they may need to alter the drones power train to a 4S like they did with mavic due to increase payload.
Yup, in fact I think Agustine posted a comparison video between Evo & P4P in low light awhile back. P4P clearly better. Not only are there more pixels, but the pixel density is typically less in bigger sensor (ok, there’s lots of variables!), usually resulting in less noise in shadowy areas.

Reactions: Ansia
Don't forget the Yuneec Typhoon H PLUS. It's 1" sensor produces spectacular 4K/60 results in the right hands. Priced under $2k.
That said, the existing EVO camera punches well above its weight.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials