Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Smart Controller V1 issues

ssb73q

Reaction score
Hi, I yesterday I received a new V1 Smart Controller (SC) to use with my EVO ll V1 drones. I enabled WiFi and paired the SM with my EVO ll 6k drone. I than began to continue the set-up by precisely following the instructions in the Autel YouTube video "Autel Smart Controller Device Setup". Update System said my system was up to date.

The problem comes when trying to do the Update app and Firmware update. Both those return a message "Version check failed". I turned off the SM and then powered it back on and tried to again do the Update app and Firmware update, but get the same message, Version check failed.

Today I forced a firmware update, V2.7.30, using a download from the Autel download site to an SD card. However, Update app and Firmware update still return: "Version check failed".

The current Explorer app on the V1 Smart Controller is 1.0.67. Is it possible to update the Explorer app on my V1 Smart controller and how do I do that. Without a Google store I can't see how I can ever do Explorer app updates.

Another issue is that the Map on the Smart controller is blank. How do I get a map on my V1 Smart controller.

So far, other than a brightness advantage over my Tripltek 8" tablet, there isn't any advantage owning the Smart Controller. I hope I can turn these issues around. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Richard

Last edited:
Hello Richard,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues, that’s a bummer. I have the SmartController V1, but my firmware is V2.7.25. You are saying yours is V2.7.30?

Unless an update recently took place, haven’t flown my Evo 2 V1 in weeks maybe an update surfaced recently.

i do my updates from the SmartController V1 itself, connected to my iphones hotspot. I don’t remember how I got the map going with my SmartController V1, do know when I’ll flying a new area I’ll leave my phones hotspot on so mapping will load on that particular area. Future flights in that area, I can leave my hotspot off because mapping has already loaded for that particular area.

i hope others chime in, hopefully help get you going in the right direction.

Keep us updated,
Paul

V2.7.25 for V1 Smart Controller

Reactions: Sjs
Hey Richard. I don't have a v.1 Smart Controller so I am not up on what is current. If over the air app updates are not working, you can always side load Autel Explorer if you can download the .apk.

For maps, you need to open the General settings and toggle on "Mapbox" or something to that effect. No one knows why it is not the default.

BTW, what is a "SM"

yesterday I received a new V1 Smart Controller (SM)

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Hey Richard. I don't have a v.1 Smart Controller so I am not up on what is current. If over the air app updates are not working, you can always side load Autel Explorer if you can download the .apk.

For maps, you need to open the General settings and toggle on "Mapbox" or something to that effect. No one knows why it is not the default.

BTW, what is a "SM"
Hi Paul and Dave, thank you for your replies. The Mapbox setting does now allow a simple map, but no satellites or hi-bred. Thanks for the suggestion. Just for grins I set the SC WiFi to an extended range device in my house. Now all the software updates work perfectly. I have no idea on why using my main internet WiFi wouldn't work.

BTW, the standard SC V1 firmware is V2.7.25, but I forced the beta V2.7.30 firmware downloading from the Autel download site to an SD card and installing the SD card in the drone.

I emailed Autel support three days ago about my smart Controller issues. So far no reply. I guess that Autel Support is buried with Nano problems and their other drone or controller issues may just find the round file.

Regards,
Richard

Last edited:
Just got my v1 smart controllers. One for my evo2 and one for my sons. I had no issues binding his. Everything works as it should. Mine was totally different. Nothing but trouble. It couldnt find my wifi, then it couldnt find my drone. Had the same issues with updates failing. It took several attempts bit its all good now. The odd thing is that I have a maxi 508 auto tablet. When i loaded the sc home screen it has my apps off that tablet already loaded. Its as if someone preloaded for me. Wouldnt think that had any thing to do with it but worth mentioning in case someone else has issues.

Sorry to say, I can't offer any solutions to the issues you've identified.
I was among that group of hapless souls who was destined to miss out on the v1 SC, pre-ordered back in March or April of last year. Finally in early December I was able to take a first, tentative, flight using the SC. In a couple of posts I did after the initial acquisition of the smart controller and some test flights I was happy to report I'd had no problems pairing my EVO II Pro (6k) and flawlessly working through the updates.

Doing a bit of commercial work plus some recreational time, I've now logged close to 4 hours flying with the EVO II and Smart Controller without encountering any issues. Other than liking the idea of being able to use bigger sticks on the yoke surfaces, I'm happy with the larger screen real estate and improved visibility in bright sunlight (as a comparison, I had been using a DJI Crystal Sky monitor since purchasing the EVO II). Definitely a must to use the supplied harness or a similar table strap. Since I also fly a Yuneec H520 with ST16 controller, it seems quite natural to me to use a harness anyway.
A monopod might work better than a tripod as suggested in another post - VLOS requires a bit more manoeuvrability than a tripod would allow.

I hope you're able to resolve whatever is impeding your ability to complete the set up and updates soon so that you too can enjoy what seems to me to be a great combination.

Happy and safe flying :cool::D

Last edited:
Its working fine. It just took a lot patience and attempts. If it wasnt snowing Id be out flying right now.

A question to everyone that owns a smart controller.

My smart controller v.1 was shipped on February 7 this year. Software wise I had zero issues so far.

But I noticed something odd that drew my attention. Sometimes the fan spins up and not often but once in a while makes noises as if it is grinding tiny bits of plastic. Also when I shake the controller up and down with the screen facing up, I can hear a light clang noise from inside. Are these noises also there in other controllers or just in mine?

Both of mine are quiet. Sounds like something floating around inside yours for sure. Hate to day it since it took so long but rma to get it fixed before it does serious damage if it hasnt already.

Reactions: uas_gian
A question to everyone that owns a smart controller.

My smart controller v.1 was shipped on February 7 this year. Software wise I had zero issues so far.

But I noticed something odd that drew my attention. Sometimes the fan spins up and not often but once in a while makes noises as if it is grinding tiny bits of plastic. Also when I shake the controller up and down with the screen facing up, I can hear a light clang noise from inside. Are these noises also there in other controllers or just in mine?
Mine is quiet and I never noticed any fan spin up at all . No rattle either.
If you didn't get it from Autel I'm not sure about warranty unless it's from one of their authorized dealers or outlets. That's if its a new unit.
I recently did some R and D for them last fall on a bunch of issues with the SC V1 and they OKed a 1 year warranty for helping them for 6 weeks on the problems.
I got mine from a privet dealer on eBay.
I hope you find that it's something loose and corrects itself and not a real problem.
Good Luck.

If you didn't get it from Autel I'm not sure about warranty unless it's from one of their authorized dealers or outlets. That's if its a new unit.

thank you and also to the others for reconfirming these units are not supposed to make noticeable noises apart from speaker output.

yes mine is brand new and was bought through an authorized dealer.

my repair ticket has been opened and is currently pending further processing.

Then Autel asks for some video evidence of the matter at hand. Then even suggests in their reply we should put that video up on YouTube. We think that makes no good advertising if people start posting videos for minor hardware failures on major platforms. But hey if they want a video, why not make a video?

Also not everyone has time and skills to produce such a video and upload it. Too bad we did have time ☺️

Let's be fair and not use YouTube for this, happy to share video evidence amongst other autel pilots. :cool:

(video file has been removed)

All this whilst awaiting further processing of the repair ticket.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: edgardcafe
You cant post you tube without the Faa getting on your butt unless you have commercial license. An faa post said any video on you tube could make money and thus requires a commercial license. And surely autel is well aware of this.

Here's an update after almost half a year. The warranty issue regarding the misbehaving fan in my smart controller was after some weeks finally acknowledged by AR and the service ticket # was upscaled to next level support. Thereafter it became silent again for more than a month. Suddenly and without prior notice I have received an email from the united parcel service about returning the drone. Their messages was only announcing that a shipping label will be mailed to my letterbox. Because I didn't plan to return the aircraft I contacted AR support once more to check if it is clear I am having an issue with the smart controller. So yes, they reconfirmed I should ship just the controller. However then the shipping label never arrived to my letterbox. Also I have never received an RMA number for me to possibly send it in at my own expense. Everything went back to the usual silence, meanwhile for again more than a month I am awaiting further instructions. Why not email me the label for me to be print out? Weird procedures that cause only more work and more delays.

Reactions: Brock Inspector
Here's the final update on this issue. About half a year ago a new person working at AR tech support suddenly replied to my request. I then did receive the proper shipping label and the controller unit was finally repaired under warranty. It just took them very long. SO long that any new issues would no longer be covered under warranty. But knocking wood, I had zero hardware issues since the repair.

Hi, I yesterday I received a new V1 Smart Controller (SC) to use with my EVO ll V1 drones. I enabled WiFi and paired the SM with my EVO ll 6k drone. I than began to continue the set-up by precisely following the instructions in the Autel YouTube video "Autel Smart Controller Device Setup". Update System said my system was up to date.

The problem comes when trying to do the Update app and Firmware update. Both those return a message "Version check failed". I turned off the SM and then powered it back on and tried to again do the Update app and Firmware update, but get the same message, Version check failed.

Today I forced a firmware update, V2.7.30, using a download from the Autel download site to an SD card. However, Update app and Firmware update still return: "Version check failed".

The current Explorer app on the V1 Smart Controller is 1.0.67. Is it possible to update the Explorer app on my V1 Smart controller and how do I do that. Without a Google store I can't see how I can ever do Explorer app updates.

Another issue is that the Map on the Smart controller is blank. How do I get a map on my V1 Smart controller.

So far, other than a brightness advantage over my Tripltek 8" tablet, there isn't any advantage owning the Smart Controller. I hope I can turn these issues around. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Richard
did you ever get the issue sorted on the v1 smart controller as iv been after one for couple years ,,non seem to be for sale steve [email protected]

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy