Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Smart controller antenna options

yes the autel SC will go 25,000+ ft distant with stock antennas
Mine sure didn't! Got between a mile and two miles, at best, without video freezing, losing signal, and RTH which then took 4 minutes to restore signal! Adding boosted panel antennas for 2.4 with the SC app set to 2.4 yielded no better results in the U.S.. Got the exact same results as the stock EVO 2 controller!

Where are you flying, and at what elevation above ground, to get that range with the Autel SC?

Mine sure didn't! Got between a mile and two miles, at best, without video freezing, losing signal, and RTH which then took 4 minutes to restore signal! Adding boosted panel antennas for 2.4 with the SC app set to 2.4 yielded no better results in the U.S.. Got the exact same results as the stock EVO 2 controller!

Where are you flying, and at what elevation above ground, to get that range with the Autel SC?

I knew it. Even DJI's SC is no better w range than the original controller per actual users of it.

ANOTHER RANGE TEST taken from post #20. I'm told it was an Alientech Flat panel power amplified Antenna. This test flight was taken over a populated area with several radio towers nearby. The video (in screen capture mode) goes straight to the end to the max distance of 26,150 feet (both signal and battery were at their limits). BUT THIS RANGE test flew all the way to It's original take off point with 10% battery remaining when landed. There were plenty of signal weak warnings. The signal was only maintained at heights above statute limits as observed in the screen data. It did not perform as well as the test shown in Alsey7's post, but the terrain was very different. Trees, homes and radio towers may have affected it, requiring it's altitude levels. It was flying sideways and in Ludicrous mode w average speed of 40mph. Flying sideways keeps the batteries cooler as the airflow vents are on the sides of the aircraft.

as we are in lockdown once again, ,i thought i would do some more testing, with the alientech boosted antenna this time. Different to my other setup as the alientech is more directional.
At 400 ft, i did not find any significant improvement to range. This is fine with me as its at a range i would not operate at during normal operations.
BUT, when i came back I did some testing i hadnt tried before. That was much lower altitude testing. I am testing in a hilling area with a lot of bushland and high trees. The alientech booster kicked *** here. I was able to almost double my range at 100ft as the boosted antenna was able to punch through all of vegetation and obstacles.
So it seems that while the boosted signal wont travel further than standard smart controller, the boosted directional antennas certainly comes into its own, keeping signal when flying low amongst dense bushland.

as we are in lockdown once again, ,i thought i would do some more testing, with the alientech boosted antenna this time. Different to my other setup as the alientech is more directional.
At 400 ft, i did not find any significant improvement to range. This is fine with me as its at a range i would not operate at during normal operations.
BUT, when i came back I did some testing i hadnt tried before. That was much lower altitude testing. I am testing in a hilling area with a lot of bushland and high trees. The alientech booster kicked *** here. I was able to almost double my range at 100ft as the boosted antenna was able to punch through all of vegetation and obstacles.
So it seems that while the boosted signal wont travel further than standard smart controller, the boosted directional antennas certainly comes into its own, keeping signal when flying low amongst dense bushland.
I think I know what you meant but could you please clarify:

you said: standard smart controller
there's a standard controller and a smart controller

just making sure you were referencing the smart controller (v1) and not the standard rc. alientech booster mounted not the smart controller and you found (in your conditions) improved connectivity and range at lower altitudes, correct?

just collecting data points as I consider selling my alientech; thx.

By standard smart controller I mean a smart controller v1 with stock antennas

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about the smart controller. Did you test it yourself.
A RANGE TEST WITH ALIENTECH's $350 power amplified antenna. It Doubled my distance.
Here is a link to a 26150 ft journey. Not saying is was me personally. It's a recording of a recording. Safety first.??
It starts at about 25000 ft then hits 26150ft at the 3 second mark and then returns home, is fast forwarded and lands. Battery data is shown at the end on the screen recording.
Excellent.

Should be shipping the Version 2 smart controller next week from advexure.com. Looking forward to doing my own range test here in Ontario, Canada.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller