Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Sharing your video feed with a bigger screen

After I shut down the Wifi on the phone -- it all went back to peace and harmony on the graph...

Reactions: Ansia
On my way to work. When I get home, I'm going to download those drivers and tinker a bit to force the connection to 5.2ghz in this case. So another question. If yoyr PC is 5.2Ghz and the drone is 5.8Ghz. Will there be interference, even when there is a 600Mhz band difference?

On my way to work. When I get home, I'm going to download those drivers and tinker a bit to force the connection to 5.2ghz in this case. So another question. If yoyr PC is 5.2Ghz and the drone is 5.8Ghz. Will there be interference, even when there is a 600Mhz band difference?

It could since the signals are not too far off (if a radio is out of spec), but most likely not -- as that much separation (600 mhz) would act like a huge guard band.

Additionally, this is trivial as there may be power limits in place like our 2.4 Wifi here for example -- We are not allowed to transmit more than 1 WATT with only a certain size of antenna - Different channels and differences in location will dictate these limits.

We also use 5.8 where you use 5.2. Here, some of those 5.8 channels we share with airports, so if you live close to an airport -- you basically do not have has many 5.8 channels to choose from, as whatever the airport is using/the router will not. They refer to these channels here as DFS channels. That being said, some of our 5.8 channels can only be used indoors while others are for indoor/outdoor use -- within certain power limits.

Just a note -- if you have a drone that uses 5.8 though -- it's range will not be that far as opposed if it were on a lower channel like EVO at 2.4.

Of course you see me showing interference here because the Wifi and the Evo are both 2.4 and also has to do with the proximity - the phone being attached to the controller so closely.

My neighborhood is like a small apartment complex (15+ wifi networks seen at any time) - Wifi everywhere -- but the EVO usually shows a good signal -- in the middle of all this other noise.
screenshot_20190312-141032-png.3791

As long as the EVO/Controller and 2.4 Wifi are a far enough away - they seem to get along just fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190312-141032.png
    Screenshot_20190312-141032.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 37
It could since the signals are not too far off (if a radio is out of spec), but most likely not -- as that much separation (600 mhz) would act like a huge guard band.

Additionally, this is trivial as there may be power limits in place like our 2.4 Wifi here for example -- We are not allowed to transmit more than 1 WATT with only a certain size of antenna - Different channels and differences in location will dictate these limits.

We also use 5.8 where you use 5.2. Here, some of those 5.8 channels we share with airports, so if you live close to an airport -- you basically do not have has many 5.8 channels to choose from, as whatever the airport is using/the router will not. They refer to these channels here as DFS channels. That being said, some of our 5.8 channels can only be used indoors while others are for indoor/outdoor use -- within certain power limits.

Just a note -- if you have a drone that uses 5.8 though -- it's range will not be that far as opposed if it were on a lower channel like EVO at 2.4.

Of course you see me showing interference here because the Wifi and the Evo are both 2.4 and also has to do with the proximity - the phone being attached to the controller so closely.

My neighborhood is like a small apartment complex (15+ wifi networks seen at any time) - Wifi everywhere -- but the EVO usually shows a good signal -- in the middle of all this other noise.
screenshot_20190312-141032-png.3791
View attachment 3792

As long as the EVO/Controller and 2.4 Wifi are a far enough away - they seem to get along just fine.

View attachment 3793
My computer is the one that said 5.2Ghz. I always thought it was 5.8Ghz until last night. It does connect to 5G networks fine, so I have no idea here. My Phantom is both 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz and has the ability to switch between the 2 frequencies and the various channels both frequencies have to improve signal (only available on the v2.0 models). I did not verify the transmission graph on my phantom, just kept an eye at the top bar where it display signal strength, so I am sure they weren't interfering with each other up to the 400' (120m) I flew. Sadly I can only do testing with the drones on weekends. I work from sunrise to sunset. That sucks. BTW I am US, so we have the same standard as in NC, if NC means North Carolina.

When I get home I will take both my drones out and do full testing inside my house. I don't have a router in my house (I tether all my internet needs from my phone) so any interference (if any) will come from neightbors. I live in a 20 stories apt building that has over 300 apartments. I live in the very last floor, so I only compete with 5 or 6.

My computer is the one that said 5.2Ghz. I always thought it was 5.8Ghz until last night. It does connect to 5G networks fine, so I have no idea here.

Given we are both the same "REGION" the channel you describe is one of the DFS channels I described. Referred to as the UNII-2 and UNII-2 Extended Channels....

The entire 5G band covers around 5.170 - 5.835 and is split up as you see. The UNII-1 band is the one referred to previously as "Indoor use" as it broadcasts at a higher power level than UNII-3 channels are allowed. (Edit: If I remember this part correctly - it may be the other way around ? )

We can access those channels on new/updated wifi gear -- as long as you are not near an airport that is using it for their radar and such. My home is just outside of 2.5 miles from a small airport. So my gear only shows basic channels 36-48 and then jumps to 149-165 like depicted in the chart below.

People like myself call it 5.8 because it was marketed this way at one time and is where the frequency of the band tops out -- It has not been long that we have had access to the DFS/Wether Radar bands. They have usually just been off limits to Wifi. But the gear today recognizes the radio environment is serves you the channels per what it finds in your environment.

The technology also has fail-safes -- in the event your router did think DFS channels were available -- if a Radar were to power-up and start pulsing nearby -- your router would move you off the DFS channels -- usually you want know a thing unless you are looking at things like we are.

Wifi and other wireless techs like LTE and 5G-NR (cellular/MM-wave) - have such close acronyms and such that it does get confusing.

I refer to 5.8 a lot more now as 5G too when really this is a true acronym the cell companies are calling newer signals that mainly broadcast on MM-waves. Those channel allocations are no where near what this graphic show. MM-waves are a totally different beast.

I am no expert, just a computer geek since 1984. Electrical, Mechanical, Communications and Radio have been my other interests -- followed by photography.

Some of this knowledge is self learned (thank you Radio Shack - Electronics project kits!) Other knowledge I have been mentored, schooled for, or hands on somewhere in my profession.

Always double check anything I say -- and always try things at your own risk. It is such fun tinkering and learning! -- usually without incident. And trust - I have had a few incidents along the way. ??⚡ So I do know the ramifications very clearly, but always proceed with caution.

Last edited:
So @thomasr I finally sat down and did some graph testing and here are my results:

So what I did for each drone. I set up everything in the comfort of my living room, turned the drone on, connected the tablet to the PC via MiraCast, Smart View, or w/e name the mirroring of the screen to the PC is called now...lol, and finally let the drones stand there for 10 minutes each while monitoring the graphs for both the PC and drones.

DJI Phantom 4 Pro v2.0

Autel Evo

I also included the analysis of the wifis around me at the time of the tests. These were taken at the 5 minute mark.

Although the computer connected to the tablet via 2.4Ghz, I never saw the graph move up or down. It stayed steady all the way on both drones. Heck, it was more flatline on the Evo, than on the Phantom. Obviously, this weekend I'm taking my Evo for a spin and trying this out on a road trip to see if it works out in the field.

I honestly do not understand why you are getting such huge different results from me and why can't you get it to connect via ad-hoc.

Last edited:
So @thomasr I finally sat down and did some graph testing and here are my results:

I honestly do not understand why you are getting such huge different results from me and why can't you get it to connect via ad-hoc.

It is because my router is in the mix I am assuming -- and it is so close, since I am setting in the house doing this. If I get this one set up running ad-hoc (like yours) -- I may very well see different -- better -- results. Like I do when forcing all of my wifi to use 5.8 only and not seeing any interference on the graphs.

----------------------
For now further tinkering is possibly on hold as I think my Evo caught the Avian Flu or some weird joyfulness -- lol

I've been having issues with it since last week, and going back and forth with Autel. We were waiting for a day I could fly. lol I'm starting to suspect my EVO has gone bad or is going bad for some reason. That may be impacting what I am showing you here, as it has to do with an update with the controller/player. at least once per Autel -- from my log files.

I've honestly had several grumbles about/from this Evo along the way, which I addressed with them and I continue getting feedback from Autel.

The weather finally allowed a flight. lol so I flew the EVO earlier this evening -- flying for the first time on the BETA firmware -- it flew. ugh... thought I see tons of oddities about my Evo and the messages I am seeing from it. Before I upgraded to BETA, I started getting stuck in what Autel called an "UPGRADE LOOP", something they are aware of.

Then I started getting other weird messages before and after upgrades - and then major issues with the gimbal all of a sudden tilting and not allowing flight for "not being ready"... just everything not quite right with not much explanation.

I am one of the "slow one's" -- that forgot and left my gimbal cover on -- a few weeks ago. I've read that it should not hurt, and asked Autel, and never got a clear answer. So who knows if that's causing the problem. I have reviewed some of my video from before this ooopsy -- and see it's been a small tilt problem all along that seems to have just continued getting worse. There are other complaints this thing has about different other things too. So I will let them have a look. lol I started a ticket with Autel around the 5 - 6th flight. It is just 6.5 weeks old...

Today was it's 9th time I actually had it in the air. I done multiple take-off and landings on two different batteries - it seemed each take-off/landing was different.

Once I get all of this video processed from today's flight/flights and links sent to Autel tomorrow -- they will probably have me ship it in for examination, as we have already discussed a what next? situation ... lol Originally, they give me the option to just send it on in to them -- but said I could also see what the BETA would do for it.

I have nothing to loose in the matter, so opted to help them -- help me -- if that makes sense... lol Just working through the motions now with the support rep handling my ticket. Love my hobby - hate some of the time it takes to compile all of the video... lol

• Sad
I was born when you became a computer geek. ? Was it the release of the Macintosh?

As for the rest you said...
View attachment 3796

I'm in stitches! OMG! CUTE!

This is how I kept praying things would not work out with my EVO today. I had a few big birds get interested and come from their roosts to see what was up with my Evo... lol When I finish the video, I will see if I got any shots of them....

It is because my router is in the mix I am assuming -- and it is so close, since I am setting in the house doing this. If I get this one set up running ad-hoc (like yours) -- I may very well see different -- better -- results. Like I do when forcing all of my wifi to use 5.8 only and not seeing any interference on the graphs.

----------------------
For now further tinkering is possibly on hold as I think my Evo caught the Avian Flu or some weird joyfulness -- lol

I've been having issues with it since last week, and going back and forth with Autel. We were waiting for a day I could fly. lol I'm starting to suspect my EVO has gone bad or is going bad for some reason. That may be impacting what I am showing you here, as it has to do with an update with the controller/player. at least once per Autel -- from my log files.

I've honestly had several grumbles about/from this Evo along the way, which I addressed with them and I continue getting feedback from Autel.

The weather finally allowed a flight. lol so I flew the EVO earlier this evening -- flying for the first time on the BETA firmware -- it flew. ugh... thought I see tons of oddities about my Evo and the messages I am seeing from it. Before I upgraded to BETA, I started getting stuck in what Autel called an "UPGRADE LOOP", something they are aware of.

Then I started getting other weird messages before and after upgrades - and then major issues with the gimbal all of a sudden tilting and not allowing flight for "not being ready"... just everything not quite right with not much explanation.

I am one of the "slow one's" -- that forgot and left my gimbal cover on -- a few weeks ago. I've read that it should not hurt, and asked Autel, and never got a clear answer. So who knows if that's causing the problem. I have reviewed some of my video from before this ooopsy -- and see it's been a small tilt problem all along that seems to have just continued getting worse. There are other complaints this thing has about different other things too. So I will let them have a look. lol I started a ticket with Autel around the 5 - 6th flight. It is just 6.5 weeks old...

Today was it's 9th time I actually had it in the air. I done multiple take-off and landings on two different batteries - it seemed each take-off/landing was different.

Once I get all of this video processed from today's flight/flights and links sent to Autel tomorrow -- they will probably have me ship it in for examination, as we have already discussed a what next? situation ... lol Originally, they give me the option to just send it on in to them -- but said I could also see what the BETA would do for it.

I have nothing to loose in the matter, so opted to help them -- help me -- if that makes sense... lol Just working through the motions now with the support rep handling my ticket. Love my hobby - hate some of the time it takes to compile all of the video... lol
I'm sorry to hear your bird is sick. I really hope Autel helps you out promptly, so you can continue tinkering.

I continued doing research on this topic. Well it turns out you only need a laptop. Windows 10 has an app called Connect, that uses the wifi adapter in the laptop as an ad-hoc directly to the tablet. It has a delay of around 1 second. Although not as fast as the Chromecast option, I don't have to carry various things to achieve what I wanted. My laptop's screen is 18", so it's big enough for clients to see what I'm watching.View attachment 3693

I hope this helps some of you out there.
Ansia, I'm confused. You are showing us a DJI setup.Naturally the DJI had HDMI, but not the Evo controller.???

Ansia, I'm confused. You are showing us a DJI setup.Naturally the DJI had HDMI, but not the Evo controller.???
If you look closer, there is no hdmi cable coming from the controller. If you see the post above the DJi, it's the Evo with the same setup and in the exact same place. My point was to prove it will work, no matter what brand of drone you fly.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy