Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Recommended filter to mitigate glare/reflections caused by solar array?

AndrewS

Reaction score
Hello. I've got a shoot coming up involving a certified passive home that has a large solar array on the roof which is a priority capture for my client. For those experienced drone pilots out there, would you recommend a specific type of filter to potentially mitigate harsh reflections coming off the solar panels? I have an Autel Evo Pro 2. Thank you

Hello. I've got a shoot coming up involving a certified passive home that has a large solar array on the roof which is a priority capture for my client. For those experienced drone pilots out there, would you recommend a specific type of filter to potentially mitigate harsh reflections coming off the solar panels? I have an Autel Evo Pro 2. Thank you

Very very simple....film the home on a cloudy day; the clouds will turn the sun into one nice big softbox. If the client will not wait for a cloudy day then wait until sunset or shoot at sunrise when the sun is low on the horizon. There is nothing that will get rid of glare for a shoot like that except working with the only light source you have...the sun.

I work with clients all the time on the proper time of day to capture their project in the best lighting. Sunrise and sunset golden hour is the best lighting anyway. Most solar panels face South to South West to capture the most sunlight possible, so in your situation if you cannot wait for a cloudy day, then sunset would be your next best choice to prevent dark shadows on the south side of the array which would occur if you tried to shoot the sunrise.

You can also use an Azimuth calculator if you want to get even more precise for the absolute best time to shoot the project.

Last edited:
Very very simple....film the home on a cloudy day; the clouds will turn the sun into one nice big softbox. If the client will not wait for a cloudy day then wait until sunset or shoot at sunrise when the sun is low on the horizon. There is nothing that will get rid of glare for a shoot like that except working with the only light source you have...the sun.

I work with clients all the time on the proper time of day to capture their project in the best lighting. Sunrise and sunset golden hour is the best lighting anyway. Most solar panels face South to South West to capture the most sunlight possible, so in your situation if you cannot wait for a cloudy day, then sunset would be your next best choice to prevent dark shadows on the south side of the array which would occur if you tried to shoot the sunrise.

You can also use an Azimuth calculator if you want to get even more precise for the absolute best time to shoot the project.
Chuckling that you jumped in. You're the guy that rags on polarized filters, right?

Chuckling that you jumped in. You're the guy that rags on polarized filters, right?

I would not call it ragging on them...I think they have their place in the right situation; but IMO there is no right situation for drones due to the unique nature of drone photography / videography. In fact, I think CPLs are great for landscape photography from the ground when used properly.

But yes, for this situation a CPL literally didn't even cross my mind. The first rule to working on any outdoors daylight project is that the sun is your key light and so you need to work around its schedule. Even the time of year affects where the sun will be for that time of day which is why an Azimuth calculator overlaying the position of the solar panels may reveal a specific time of day when there will be no shadows or glare even in direct sunlight.

I have used azimuth calculators plenty of times to help me advise clients for the big commercial high rise shoots the best time of day to film their projects to ensure minimal shadows. I even had one project where I only filmed the east side of the community during sunrise and only filmed the west side during sunset to show both sides of the community only in its best lighting.

A polarizing filter will reduce reflections if properly adjusted (rotate ring) and looking towards the sun, just like your polarizing sun glasses. It might take some fiddling to get it right.

Polorized ND filter. The entire point of them is to block light reflections from specific angles. If you dont know what position to put the filter in, just fly up and if there are harsh reflections bring the drone down and spin filter until you have the correct angle to block those reflections.

(but watch out, it might break your gimble or so ive heard from others on this forum. ?)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy