Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Question re: Smart Battery auto discharge.

BlairAir

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can answer this: The Evo 2 Series Smart Batteries seem well designed. They have air vents for cooling, and the current firmware level allows you to choose when to start discharging the smart battery if unused, from 1 to 10 days, in 1 day increments. That' really granular control and I appreciate that they provide that level of control over discharge. But beyond that there is little available information. For example:

If I set discharge to "2 Days" - I can take a look at the battery at day 3 or 4 and will typically see 3 of 4 LEDS of charge level indication. I see at some point further in time 2 LEDS + 1 flashing. All of this is documented somewhere as: 2 + 1 flash = 51% to 62% and so on.

Does anyone know at what RATE the auto discharge occurs. and if it happens at timed cycles, what those are? I.E. Does it:
  • Discharge one level at the set # of days you choose: (Down 12%)
  • Does it then discharge another 12%? When? Every 2 days?
  • When or at what voltage or percent does it STOP discharging?
These are the questions that keep me awake in the wee hours. "Is it discharging right now? Should I go check? Maybe it won't do it if it see's me peeking (these levels of thought are after multiple sleepless nights) I have a couple of after market chargers but none that support discharge or charge to "storage level" - typically they choose about 60%, but the only aftermarket charger I saw with storage level was the AstonPower modular charger that you can swap out the battery module to support a few different drones - 2 that own. I like the concept and look but the company is almost impossible to communicate with. I actually BOUGHT it on their site, and after 2 MONTHS of no order verification or even any response, they wrote and said "we no longer sell direct - go to a reseller" Great. Except their order page still takes your money. Every review I saw was they same: Bought it, cannot reach anyone at the company for support. A shame, because it looked pretty good. B&H has a few models, some which say "special order" - my advice? Don't even consider it. One review said it damaged a dozen batteries - this was a fleet manager who stopped and tested known good batteries (Mavic 2 Pro I think) and they stopped accepting charge.

With our $200+ batteries, there is no way I am going there. Even companies with warranty only refund the cost of the charger, leaving you with wasted batteries.

Anyway thanks in advance if anyone knows more about auto discharge cycles, limits and such.

For DJI batteries, solid 2 and the 3rd just starts flashing indicates ~50% To verify where you are with Evo packs, just charge one until it just starts blinking the 3rd LED and then put it in the craft, power on, and read the percentage and you will know.

I have never relied on self-discharge. I always either fly them down to ~50% or more often just use my Phantom Angel discharger. I have 2. I set auto discharge to 2 days as a backup. Basically, Lipos do NOT like to sit fully empty or fully charged for any amount of time.

Thanks Dave. I actually found the indicator percentage on our manual. I think 60% is bit on the high side for storage, but most of the 3rd party chargers I have go for that level. It's acceptable I guess. I guess I can pop them in and out and measure exactly what level they are on first day of discharge and test daily for what levels it seeks over time. I was curious if anyone already had gone down that path - a combination of technical curiosity and true laziness in action!
Evo 2 Battery Level Indicators.JPG

Reactions: Drgnfli
It is recommended to us original manufacture’s charges and batteries.
I use the hub charger which will let me charge 4 batteries either in series or in parallel.

Reactions: EBEPLS

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials