Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Picture Printing on Canvas

resq3129

Reaction score
Can someone please help me with this question... I have someone that wants to purchase a picture I took with my Autel Evo 1. They want to have the picture printed on canvas and framed to hang on the wall of their office. They want to know what the largest size canvas print they will be able to use without distortion. I have put the details of the picture below, The picture is in JPEG format. Thank you to anyone that can help with this. Oh, Yes I am part 107!
1608472275575.png

Attachments

• Boat Launch 12-11 1.JPG
    Boat Launch 12-11 1.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
Hello..
I have used these people for over 20 years for sports posters and in home prints
Canvas Prints
All info needed is there
Quick turn around and great CS !
As a suggestion for those landscape prints, I suggest making a horizontal row of three or four vertical sections spaced about 2" apart!

Sorry I dont really understand what you mean by that suggestion. Multiple Prints?

I believe he was looking for just 1 print, about 20 inches by 15 inches. Would it be distorted at the properties I have listed above?

Couple of questions...

1) Do you have an original DNG or just the JPG from the camera?

2) In the office this will be placed, what will be the average viewing distance from the photo?

You are fortunate that the client wants canvas, as the texture of the canvas print will camouflage any perceptible pixelation.

If the average viewing distance for example is 6 feet away and the client wants a height of 15 inches, that will give an effective DPI of 200, which should be fine. Your final image will be sized at 20" x 15.5".

If your client wants the wood frame wraparound style, you will need to provide an image sized at 24" x 19.5" to accomodate the wrap. This will bring your resolution to about 167 DPI... which with the canvas will still be fine.

Last edited:
ELCO states
"No higher than 300dpi for sizes up to 30x40, 200dpi for sizes larger than 30x40 is sufficient."

With your DPI at only 72, you might not be able to get large prints.
Check your original photo and re-crop to a higher DPI if you can
They respond quickly to emails, so email them and ask what you need for what your end result needed

I did a 16x24 from Canvas Prints a few years ago. When uploading it said my photo was not the best resolution but I went for it anyways. The hardest part I found was finding the right size photo for them to print. I had to play around with the sizes to actually get it to take on their web page. When I received it from them it was just fine.
This is the photo hanging on my wall.
20181114_094459.jpg

Reactions: EBEPLS
ELCO states
"No higher than 300dpi for sizes up to 30x40, 200dpi for sizes larger than 30x40 is sufficient."

With your DPI at only 72, you might not be able to get large prints.
Check your original photo and re-crop to a higher DPI if you can
They respond quickly to emails, so email them and ask what you need for what your end result needed

That DPI can easily be converted in Photoshop before sending out for printing... and should be, to provide an image at print resolution. Also if the OP would rather pickup locally, these can be produced at your local FedexOffice.

Reactions: ducatstrada
I do not have the .DNG file. How do you increase the DPI ? I have Photoshop Express and never saw this option. Lol.
Thank you for all the help so far from all of you. Never really was to keen on selling my photos (Still Shots) so never really gave DPI a second thought. I usually just do video stuff.

I do not have the .DNG file. How do you increase the DPI ? I have Photoshop Express and never saw this option. Lol.
Thank you for all the help so far from all of you. Never really was to keen on selling my photos (Still Shots) so never really gave DPI a second thought. I usually just do video stuff.

Should be a similar route to this:

Open your JPG...

Click on "Image" on the main navigation menu... select "Image Size" from the dropdown list.

You should see a popup box similar to below with specifications of your JPG. In the Document Size field, change the resolution to 200. Make sure the "Resample Image" checkbox is unchecked. Save.

If your client wants that wraparound style canvas print as mentioned above, set the resolution to 167.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
The 72 DPI that you are seeing in your EXIF data is meaningless ignore it. Pixels are pixels and the other answers you received are good guides to the size prints you can make. 300 DPI is typically considered to be photo lab resolution, and the highest you need to go although some insist you can see a difference beyond that. So if you do the math here are the size prints you can expect:

300 dpi: 13 x 7
200 dpi: 20 x 11
100 dpi: 40 x 22

Here is a link to the 72 DPI question.

Last edited:
Keep in mind this is canvas... that in itself will degrade the image a little bit. For a sharper looking image I've had photos printed on either wood, glass or metal.

Reactions: tvwxman
If you want to go larger, the best upscale program I've found to increase size and sharpness is Topaz GigaPixel AI. You can increase easily beyond your needs and have ample corp if needed.

Hi. I did a canvas print of one of my prints. The size was 40x30 which is alot bigger than what you are planning I believe. And my dpi was 167. And it turned out really nice. As someone mentioned earlier that being on canvas made it look a little bumpy by itself. But not that bad at all. It actually turned out great. I was very happy with the results. The size of the photo was 4000 x 3000. And it was a jpeg. Dpi 167 and again it turned out very nice. I was very pleased with it. I didn't know what I was doing and didn't ask like you. I just took a gamble. But I was happy. This was my experience. Maybe i was lucky. Maybe not. But i was happy with the results and still have it hanging and get all kinds of compliments on it still. If I was you and I was this worried. I would call the company you are going to use to print it. They are usually very helpful in helping you decide little things like that. They have seen and worked with all kinds of photos and prints in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Honestly they would know best how their printers do in certain situations. No one will be able to help you more than them. They do this everyday for a living and want to make a sale so are very helpful usually!! Hope I helped you or at least gave you some sound advice. Congrats on the sale:)

Reactions: tvwxman
To determine the largest size canvas print without distortion, the resolution of your original JPEG image is crucial. Higher-resolution images generally allow for larger prints with better clarity and detail.
If you're looking for expert advice in the world of canvas printing, you can find professionals online. They have the knowledge and experience to analyze your photo's details and provide recommendations on the optimal canvas size for printing.
Make sure to provide them with the JPEG image you took with your Autel Evo 1 and discuss your requirements for the office wall. They will guide you through the process and help you choose the right size canvas for your photo.

Last edited:
When it comes to printing a picture on canvas, the quality and size can play a significant role. To ensure the best results without distortion, it's recommended to use the highest resolution version of your JPEG image. As for determining the largest size canvas print, it depends on the resolution of the image itself. To get accurate advice, you might want to reach out to professionals who specialize in photo printing Dubai. They can guide you on the ideal canvas size for preserving the image's quality and avoiding distortion. Sharing your image's resolution with them could provide precise recommendations.

Last edited:
Canvas prints can be a wonderful way to showcase your work. To avoid distortion, it's important to consider the resolution of your image. Since you mentioned it's in JPEG format, the quality might vary. If you're unsure about the largest size for a distortion-free print, you could try consulting with a local print shop or an online service that specializes in canvas printing. And hey, if you're looking for some inspiration on wall art and paintings, there's this store called Artworks.ae that has a neat collection! For a crisp canvas print, I'd recommend checking the image resolution. Generally, a resolution of 300 DPI (dots per inch) works well for print. Given that you're part 107, you're probably familiar with the technicalities.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller