Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Over Charge Evo Battery

swings16

Reaction score
I Should Know The Answer But I Do Not

Leaving The Evo Charging After It IS Fully Charged...Will it damage the battery ?

I always assumed that it was bad for the battery...TRUE ?

Thanks All

Martin/Swings16/NYC

The smart charge board will shut down the battery but things have been known to fail.
So no its not a good idea but in most cases it will not harm your battery.

Reactions: swings16
The smart charge board will shut down the battery but things have been known to fail.
So no its not a good idea but in most cases it will not harm your battery.

thank you ...i will play it safe>>>i have one ready to go and another over 80%

makes me think that a car charger is not a bad idea

your help and response is much appreciated>>>

Martin

I Should Know The Answer But I Do Not
Leaving The Evo Charging After It IS Fully Charged...Will it damage the battery ?
I always assumed that it was bad for the battery...TRUE ?
Thanks All
Martin/Swings16/NYC

I will add another caution you definitely should watch out for when charging your RC controller from the AC wall charger.
What I experienced may be a defect in my own unit....then again maybe its a widespread concern among all or many units.

I always monitor my RC controller charging cycle, taking notes on how long before reaching a full charge when starting at various levels of discharge. And you probably know while the red power light is on you can push the button to lit up the OLED display to see the actual level of charge percentage progress.
One day I was at 99% and the charger was balancing the cells in the RC so I left the room, came back some minutes later to see a Green Light on the power button indicating a full charge and indeed pressing the button showed 100%. I decided to leave the charger connected to see if the Green power light would shut off like what occurs with the drone batteries.

I came back ≈20 minutes later to find my power light was still on and now showing RED again as if in a charging cycle. I lit up the display and my RC battery was showing 98%. Hmm, I had my charger plugged into my Killa-Watt meter on the wall and was showing that only 1.2 watts AC was still feeding the charger but minutes later the battery percentage had dropped several more percent. I allowed this to continue as a fact-finding mission to see if the charger would "kick in" and start charging. IT NEVER DID and the battery was at 89% and still dropping when I disconnected it from the charger. The AC wall output to the charger had remained at 1.2 watts AC while connected to the battery.

Unplugging the charger from the wall, then connecting the RC to the charger and plugging it back into my watt meter on the wall put the charging system into the normal charge mode again. This has occurred twice in my observations and I no longer allow the RC to remain connected once it reaches 100%.

It was almost as if the battery had gone into a self-discharge safe mode after remaining connected to the charger beyond a few minutes time when fully charged.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this phenomena. My RC battery is fine. It holds 100% charge for days of idleness. So I'm still scratching my head about how it can drain down while still connected to the charger after hitting 100% in a successful cycle.

==> As far as purchasing the Car Battery Charger I would hold off on that decision for a while longer. I have one and have experienced some significant flaws in its design and operation that I am still compiling the evidence to send in to Autel. Watch for that in a separate post.

Thank you for this info

Funny that with me...My controller...functioned perfectly from day 1

an odd thing happened today..i was going to THE BEACH...NYC...Rockaway(Riis Park)...to FLY on a FANTASTIC Day...not a cloud in the sky

i wanted to take 2 charged batteries...1st one...Charged up fine...everything as it should be

I plug in to charge #2 battery (i knew it needed a charge )...i plug in...i look over and see no lights...i unplug it and plug it in again.Nothing..WHAT THE ?

I went a bit cave man..unplugged it and gave it a hand slap

Put it back to charge...Lights come on as usual !

did close to 2, 20 minute flights

Fantastic + wonderful...had 10 battery minutes left..i had packed up everything and then i said to myself...GO UP AGAIN

i kept changing my mind and i said..GO FOR IT

I flew close to the breaking waves up and down the Beautiful beach and then brought it above the beach + suddenly it started to do a yo yo up and down thing..IF i didn't hold the stick DOWN all the time it flew Up + High without any input from me...i was grateful i wasn't DIRECTLY over the water...it kept up doing a Yo Yo move and my heart was in my mouth

This has happened to me before...it was the same scenario...Running very low on battery power and the bird went crazy...Up + Down all the while as i held the stick DOWN

Never a dull moment

Last edited:
Thank you for this info

I flew close to the breaking waves up and down the Beautiful beach and then brought it above the beach + suddenly it started to do a yo yo up and down thing..IF i didn't hold the stick DOWN all the time it flew Up + High without any input from me...i was grateful i wasn't DIRECTLY over the water...it kept up doing a Yo Yo move and my heart was in my mouth.

This has happened to me before...it was the same scenario...Running very low on battery power and the bird went crazy...Up + Down all the while as i held the stick DOWN.

You mention "very low on battery power." If you were at critically low battery level and the automatic landing mode was initiated there is some joystick control during this auto sequence but not much from my experience. You may have been overriding the auto landing sequence with your joystick input just enough to prevent the completion of the landing sequence which is designed for last second adjustments to your landing spot. This might be a likely scenario. Can you think back and remember if you were getting down to the default 15% critically low battery auto landing power level? If so stay away from water before you get to that auto landing battery level. Your drone won't fair well landing on the water unless you have pontoons on. LOL

The other scenario: Was the beach fairly steep? If you had obstacle avoidance on and were flying up a sloping beach your forward sensors may have been activating obstacle avoidance braking if you were fairly low to the ground. Mine reach out 50 feet ahead (verified yesterday) so when I fly very low I must turn off the obstacle avoidance even over flat ground as the forward angle of attack of the drone flying forward is enough to allow the sensors to "see" the ground ahead and react by activating an instant braking and hover. Like hitting an invisible wall. :)

When it goes to auto land if you don't hold the up throttle long enough it will try to descend again when you let go (doing the yo yo effect you're talking about). You need to hold it for about 3 seconds for it to get out of the auto land mode. The same with the cancel button. I've seen many people do this.

When it goes to auto land if you don't hold the up throttle long enough it will try to descend again when you let go (doing the yo yo effect you're talking about). You need to hold it for about 3 seconds for it to get out of the auto land mode. The same with the cancel button. I've seen many people do this.
Are you saying that the critical battery auto land sequence can be permanently cancelled by holding the cancel button for 3 seconds? I know I can do that on Go Home landing sequence triggered at the 25% level. Didn't know that was an override on the critically low level too. I was in auto land yesterday and tried juggling my bird in the last few seconds to 'hit' the landing pad but missed. Its tricky....and definitely activated my own "pucker factor." ?

I mean the 25%. Although a couple times when I had a sudden drop to 8% I was able to control it to land on my XSP but it did not over ride it at critical. I had to fight it all the way home.
Edit: I have my 25% set to 20% because I don't usually fly long distances.

Last edited:
I mean the 25%.
OK got it. One of my "feature requests" to Autel (perhaps the most important of all) is an absolute override of the critically low auto landing sequence. Perhaps only when a pilot is flying in Boat Mode maybe. I plan to do a lot of filming from boats out on rivers, lakes and ocean (anglers fishing) and I absolutely need ever last watt of energy in that battery to insure unforeseen conditions don't cut me short on enough fuel to get back on the boat. I'd rather destroy a battery than lose a drone and the battery. Davey Jones has no mercy!

[EDIT:] Yeah, I set my warning level at 20% and my critical to 10% when I am flying over terra-firma and in close enough proximity to my location to see where it might go down if the battery level suddenly dropped as you mentioned.

OK got it. One of my "feature requests" to Autel (perhaps the most important of all) is an absolute override of the critically low auto landing sequence. Perhaps only when a pilot is flying in Boat Mode maybe. I plan to do a lot of filming from boats out on rivers, lakes and ocean (anglers fishing) and I absolutely need ever last watt of energy in that battery to insure unforeseen conditions don't cut me short on enough fuel to get back on the boat. I'd rather destroy a battery than lose a drone and the battery. Davey Jones has no mercy!
I understand that but I don't quite agree. Just come home sooner and put another battery in. JMO.

How do you get out of AUTO LAND mode ? What is the lowest percentage of battery life that you can fly at to not have the problem i described (the Yo Yo thing)

It is funny that i over rode my instinct and low battery power to call it a day but yesterday was a Glorious beautiful day and like a kid i wanted just ONE MORE...not a cloud in the sky...a huge expanse of the Atlantic Ocean visible with southern New Jersey visible from my Brooklyn base...Far off in the sea there were monstrous cargo vessels coming into the ports of NJ and they were all lined up far out in the sea but visible because of the crystal daylight

I still have so very much to learn about flying and i thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me

Thanks ALL

Martin/NYC

This information was written for the Autel X-Star by Heath. He had written a whole document on the XSP's battery and had it approved by Autel. This is just one section of the PDF file but I think you can use it for reference on the EVO.

Another possible "critical drop" cause**...The battery's total mAh capacity is calculated
at each charge.This capacity is also used in the calculation of battery percent remaining.
As it charges, it counts the mAh going in. Once the charge finishes, it averages the new
count with the history of past counts. This is why Autel recommends you run the battery
down to 7% every 20 charges, at least. Now, if you are one of those who tends to bring
it in before the battery warning often, you may want to do this more often...Remember,
the total mAh capacity is based on the average of energy it takes to recharge to full.
Continuous partial discharging (bringing it in early) will cause the total mAh capcity to
fall, which is one thing that causes the sudden percentage drop and **critical land**.
My recommendation is to periodically bring the quad in close when it approaches
warning percentage to stop RTH from kicking in, then before critical percentage, bring it
low, perhaps 5 feet off the ground. When it reaches critical, hold the stick up to keep the
quad aloft until perhaps 5%, then let it land. It will force land around 3% no matter what.
This means on next charge, the count will be high, helping to recover the total mAh
capacity count.

This information was written for the Autel X-Star by Heath. He had written a whole document on the XSP's battery and had it approved by Autel. This is just one section of the PDF file but I think you can use it for reference on the EVO.

Another possible "critical drop" cause**...The battery's total mAh capacity is calculated
at each charge.This capacity is also used in the calculation of battery percent remaining.
As it charges, it counts the mAh going in. Once the charge finishes, it averages the new
count with the history of past counts. This is why Autel recommends you run the battery
down to 7% every 20 charges, at least. Now, if you are one of those who tends to bring
it in before the battery warning often, you may want to do this more often...Remember,
the total mAh capacity is based on the average of energy it takes to recharge to full.
Continuous partial discharging (bringing it in early) will cause the total mAh capcity to
fall, which is one thing that causes the sudden percentage drop and **critical land**.
warning percentage to stop RTH from kicking in, then before critical percentage, bring it
low, perhaps 5 feet off the ground. When it reaches critical, hold the stick up to keep the
quad aloft until perhaps 5%, then let it land. It will force land around 3% no matter what.
This means on next charge, the count will be high, helping to recover the total mAh
capacity count.
I will try what you have suggested

it will Automatically land at 3 % ?

And this is considered maintenance for the life of the battery ?

I will give it a shot

The only thing that gets me worried is the Evo bobbing up + down in the air a few feet off the ground

i worry that it will fly wildly and injure someone while going through those up + down moves

It always seems to happen in a controlled pattern...up a specific height and down in the same fashion

I think that the best way (for me) to handle this is to never fly with 10% 0r less battery power

15 minutes is a fair amount of time to fly...i have 2 Extra batteries and that is more than enough to satisfy my passion for flying

capacity count.

Thank you for taking the time to give me such a detailed and informative answer to my question (s)

Still so very much to learn and lucky to have such informed and detailed answers from you

THANK YOU

[QUOTE
The only thing that gets me worried is the Evo bobbing up + down in the air a few feet off the ground

i worry that it will fly wildly and injure someone while going through those up + down moves

It always seems to happen in a controlled pattern...up a specific height and down in the same fashion

][/QUOTE]

What worries me is how your EVO is performing. There is no way it should be doing what you described. A wild guess on my part I would say one of your sensors is failing or your compass is failing. If calibrating your EVO has no effect on what is happening I would get Autel to check it out. Sounds like a crash just waiting to happen.

[QUOTE

]

What worries me is how your EVO is performing. There is no way it should be doing what you described. A wild guess on my part I would say one of your sensors is failing or your compass is failing. If calibrating your EVO has no effect on what is happening I would get Autel to check it out. Sounds like a crash just waiting to happen.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Do you recommend a GIMBAL Calibration ?

It is odd that every other aspect of the performance of it is practically flawless

Both times i encountered the Bobbing movement it was in a very low battery situation

I will never fly with less than 10% battery and see if that practice alleviates the situation

IF flying a few times without this problem i would trust that it is ALL about the low battery taking me into that bobbing mode

I will first do the calibration on the Gimbal and monitor my time in the air returning with no less than 10% to see if this clears up this problem

THANK YOU once again...i truly appreciate all of your comments and suggestions..i am grateful and hope that i can solve this problem step by step with your much appreciated suggestions and TIME given to me

Martin

[QUOTE

]

[/QUOTE]

Agustine...May i send you a link to the video of the situation i described to you re the up + down bobbing on the beach yesterday ?

I put it up on Dropbox and a Video is worth 10 k Words

The trouble starts at the 3 minute mark

May i send to you for your opinion ?

Thank,Martin

Most of the flights I make usually end up with the battery at 8% or below. This is most often due to my Post-Flight check off procedure. After landing while the drone is still powered up I run through all the software and camera settings to enter into my Flight Log book if there are particular settings I may want to use in the future for a similar result. Or I may want to change some things before the next flight takeoff so I'll 'burn' the rest of that battery rather than use power on the new battery to change settings which cuts down my flight time. Power Management. By the time I have performed that checkout the battery is always below 10%. The last thing I want to do is get back to the house, review my footage and see a great shot and then can't recall what parameters I had set to achieve that result. You can waste a lot of time with trial and error attempts to replicate something that would be easier if you had documented the settings and any field notes as tips for the future.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials