Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

National Parks in the South West

AirStag

Reaction score
I'm going on a photography trip to about 8 national parks next month; visiting Arizona, Utah and New Mexico. I know I can't fly in national parks, but there have to be lots of cool sights outside the parks, right? I'm trying to decide if I should bother to take my drone. Anyone have advice/suggestions for me?? TIA

Sounds like an amazing trip! I'm a little jealous... If you're driving and you have room you might as well pack it. Even if you don't use it it would be nice to have it in case you found something spectacular to film with it.

Reactions: AirStag
There are opportunities at some of the SW USA NP's - like around Moab and Arches NP. While you can only take-off / land outside the park boundaries - you can get up and shoot pics / vids inside the park. Many great drone spots around Moab that are not park property - so find those and make sure no restrictions or get authorization to fly. You might be able to get close to Canyonlands and Utah's Dead Horse SP next to Canyonlands. Bryce Canyon would be a difficult one to see much if anything - but always check maps to see how close you can get.

I flew outside Zion NP from a spot in Springdale, UT. Got some decent photos / vids from there. Several roads outside the park you can go up and shoot parts of the park many never venture too. Again, check your apps like B4UFLY / UAVForecast (which also integrates DJI's FlyZone / geofence zones too) and even do a Google search on states you are going to, to see if restrictions in State Parks- which list seems to be growing or even local ordnances in city parks / etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: AirStag
Your photography trip to the national parks in Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico sounds amazing! While flying drones inside national parks is generally restricted, there are indeed many incredible sights to capture outside the parks. The Southwest region offers a wealth of natural beauty and unique landscapes that can be just as captivating.
Thanks @MilieWolf321 the trip was great and I shot a bunch of beautiful footage. I haven't processed it yet, but I'll post a link when I do!

You can also ask the park rangers if they will let you go up take some pics then come right back down. A 5-10 minute flight. From what I understand, some will let you. What they don't want is a drones flying all around disturbing the visitors or wildlife.

Reactions: EBERLS and AirStag

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo