Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Maximun range for Evo II Pro

Ostinato

Reaction score
Today I flew my Evo 2 Pro in 15mph winds gusting to about 20. The battery was fully charged and has only been used for a few cycles. As expected, the drone was rock solid coping with wind. I flew it straight out at about 45ft altitude for about 800 feet in manual mode. On the Explorer app map a curved blue line appeared. When the drone reached the blue line, I got a message that said this was its maximum range and it would hover. And that is exactly what happened

I then turned it around and flew it home. The battery was approximately 75% full when it landed.

I checked the user manual and this forum but could not find any reference to this behavior. I then called Autel TA and the tech said that the drone makes a judgement based on how charged the battery was and the energy it would take it to return home (taking into account the force of the wind for instance) and sets the maximum distance the drone can fly from home. The only way to change this is change the low battery percentage that the drone uses to trigger when to activate the Return to Home. I made the adjustment from 25% to 20% but it do not seem to make much of a difference.

Has anyone has experienced this? Is there another work around?

Last edited:
Today I flew my Evo 2 Pro in 15mph winds gusting to about 20. The battery was fully charged and has only been used for a few cycles. As expected, the drone was rock solid coping with wind. I flew it straight out at about 45ft altitude for about 800 feet in manual mode. On the Explore app map a curved blue line appeared. When the drone reached the blue line, I got a message that said this was its maximum range and it would hover. And that is exactually what happened

I then turned it around and flew it home. The battery was approximately 75% full when it landed.

I checked the user manual and this forum but could find any reference to this behavior. I then called Autel TA and the tech said that the drone makes a judgement based on how charged the battery was and the energy it would take it to return home (taking into account the force of the wind for instance) and sets the maximum distance the drone can fly from home. The only way to change this is change the low battery percentage that the drone uses to trigger when to activate the Return to Home. I made the adjustment from 25% to 20% but it do not seem to make much of a difference.

Has anyone has experienced this? Is there another work around?
Check your distance limit settings under flight control settings. Should be set to off.

Has anybody offered any other reasons or work arounds for this distance limitation? I encountered it flying in a gravel pit today. I was in the middle of the pit/flight area, the flight plan on the Autel Explorer for the entire pit was about 3000 ft x 3000 ft. But the Evo II wouldn't go beyond 1620 feet. Clear skies, no winds no obstacles. Perfect drone conditions for contour mapping. SO I broke the plan into 2 missions. Then moved 1000 feet closer to the far end. The furthest point was about 1000 feet away. But the drone would not finish the last few runs, right where it was limited before. I moved again, relaunched, it just kept stalling at the same spot. Luckily I had the trusty Phantom 4 Pro V2, and was able to do the entire mission at one time.
To answer questions, yes the distance limitation was off.

I bought the Autel because it gave another option for mapping, especially if you're anywhere around an area the Phantom doesn't want to fly. The Evo takes great photos, and nice resolution for aerial photogrammetry. But this type of quirky behavior in the software makes it undependable. Perhaps a range extender would help?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy