Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Lost over 90% of range after flying some 20,000 ft with yagi extenders

Reaction score
May have accidentally powered on transmitter when changing back to my four Hawks antenna not sure but now it disconnects it around a thousand feet or less. Does anyone know do you send a chance of blowing your electronics if you power up your transmitter without an antenna connected transmitter without an antenna connected seems like that's May of what happened because I have no range now any help would be appreciated thanks Kyle *****UPDATE PROBLEM FIXED I had one of the connectors inside remote that was not correctly seated problem solved

Last edited:
What kind of antennas did you have on the transmitter when had the yagi extenders on?
If you got 20k on that setup I would go back to that and see what results you get. If you still get bad range, than most likely you damaged the transmitter.

You didn’t mention if you split the controller apart to switch back to different antenna setup, if you did quite possible one off the connector cables was pinched while closing up the controller.

Reactions: UasDriver
the Policia Is out this Morning. I bet these two have never drivin over the speed limit LOL ow wait yes they have

Reactions: UasDriver
So after doing a firmware upgrade one time, I took mine out into the parking lot of my complex and flew it approximately 6 or 700 ft and realized I did not put the whip antennas on, which I use in place of the 4Hawks for short unobstructed flights, and I have never had an issue.

So after doing a firmware upgrade one time, I took mine out into the parking lot of my complex and flew it approximately 6 or 700 ft and realized I did not put the whip antennas on, which I use in place of the 4Hawks for short unobstructed flights, and I have never had an issue.
Hey thanks for reply I haven't been on forum in a while I wonder if I have it huh er issue....u gave order new remote be here an day I guess I will see thanks again

you can be lucky, or unlucky. Truth of the matter is, a transmitter without a load is at great risk of damage.

I have never understood using aftermarket antennas, this is one of the reasons why. The transmitter can be fried by powering on the remote without an antenna attached. With the stock antenna I've gotten 5 miles out over open ocean with the only limit being battery life.

In highly congested areas the range is more limited but never to the point to where I cannot complete the project.

some of use get no where near 5miles/8kms so dabble with antennas. Some of us also just do it as part of the hobby

Reactions: PingSpike
I tried all kinds of different range extender accessories and they gave a little extra range depending on the day for extra range, but with or without range extenders I would always have lag problems with camera settings taking effect. So I bought a ALIENTECH Pro signal booster. Well not only is the range limited by the battery now, but the lag also went away. As to the original post I'm aware of bad things can happen without a load on the antenna, but you should be ok if you only turn it on without anything connected if you just want to check the battery really quick which is only seconds. No issues here.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller