Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Looks like The US of A is going to be harder to find places to fly legally

Soon, nobody will care about obstacle avoidance — effective countermeasures will be the next big thing!

Government Relations | Academy of Model Aeronautics

Ya all better study for your exam :)

• The bill removes the model aircraft definition and lumps all hobbyists, toys, and the recreational community under the FAA as simply unmanned aircraft systems (UAS).
  • There are testing mandates, which raises many concerns. Federal and state regulations could hinder youth from participating in the testing requirement therefore denying them enjoyment of our hobby.
What gets me I have been posting about what is coming for the last 6 or 7 months and still there where guys saying it will never happen and if it did it will take the government 5 years to make the changes. Well guess what guys it is on your back door.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Wait, I thought our savior in the White House was getting rid of burdensome regulations?

It may seem like an overreach to us, but having worked with DoD contractors for decades, their prospective is very different. This is being pushed by DoD & Homeland Security. Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon & Northup all have classified work in this arena — both offensive and defensive. Micro surveillance drones, hunter killers, and drone zappers. Homeland Security thinks it’s only a matter of time before drones are used for domestic terrorism.

Note every time an illegal drone overflies an airport’s perimeter, or other restricted area. The FAA & Homeland notes them all, using it as justification for a clampdown. Looks like they made their case...

Weaponized drones are already in use in the Middle East, even by what’s left of ISIS. Al Qaeda likes simple weapons for soft targets with Max results. Radical groups are weaponizing commercial drones. The Russians have given an offensive, militarized model to the Syrians, which means one of dozens radical groups will grab one of them soon. I’m not happy about this, but knew it was coming. I fear this is just the beginning...and if the USA does it, other countries will follow...

Last edited:
Government Relations | Academy of Model Aeronautics

Ya all better study for your exam :)

• The bill removes the model aircraft definition and lumps all hobbyists, toys, and the recreational community under the FAA as simply unmanned aircraft systems (UAS).
  • There are testing mandates, which raises many concerns. Federal and state regulations could hinder youth from participating in the testing requirement therefore denying them enjoyment of our hobby.
What gets me I have been posting about what is coming for the last 6 or 7 months and still there where guys saying it will never happen and if it did it will take the government 5 years to make the changes. Well guess what guys it is on your back door.
Yea, I hear ya. If you didn’t see this coming, get your eyes & a reality check....

Just some comments I have been keeping track of over one UAV Legal News page. Hope it helps sort out some questions.

Things to be aware of:

-no more RC soaring, Giant scale aerobatics (IMAC), RC pattern, RC jets. But FPV with a spotter is legal now!!

-As I understand it, this bill is the bill that provides funding for the FAA. Not passing the bill meant no funding for the FAA.

I am not an attorney and never claim to understand the political process but it looks to me that including the drone stuff in this bill was a guaranteed way to get it to pass.

Similar to how pork gets put into other bills.

-There are several items that affect Part 107 operators - both good and bad.

- Question: After POTUS signs it when will it become law and at that second will all the traditional drones be banned from being sold until they become certified?
Answer: NO. It will take months or even years to go through the NPRM process and wade through public commentary and more. People need to cool their jets and understand the processes.
Moreover that is a State legislature passing a state law and this is the Federal government instructing a Federal agency to study and then create regulations - delegating the authority. Federal agencies have to then follow the NPRM process to create the regulations.

The FMRA is the bill that provides the FAA with its budget. If the FMRA didn't get passed by Friday of this week or extended, then the FAA would receive no federal funding and wither and die.
Suggest that you read the bill or one of the many summaries of the bill. There are timelines in each section that designate to the FAA what schedule they must meet to roll out changes. You can search for "400" if you'd like and see the deadlines in each second that pertain to that number.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
-As I understand it, this bill is the bill that provides funding for the FAA. Not passing the bill meant no funding for the FAA.
Bingo. There’s SO MUCH behind the scenes lobbying today, it’s truly frightening. Big money, big stakes. We’ll never know how many covert issues were at play, how many political quid pro quo’s. The FAA is very powerful, heavily lobbied, and not too transparent. Sadly, the public rarely has that kind of clout or even access ...

I found this video pretty entertaining LOL

LOL, too funny... That took a boatload of editing, and a script writer. He made do both himself, but I bet not — very well done. The way you keep dry subjects interesting is fast pace and humor. He does both well!

Need a Practical Solution to all of your US/A Woes..?
www.CostaRicaLifestyle.info Since 18 years, I have Never Looked Back and have Never Regretted Leaving that Dysfunctional Cesspool. Jump in, the 'Water' is Very Beautiful... Glad to help anyone considering a Fresh New Life. Cheers

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Need a Practical Solution to all of your US/A Woes..?
www.CostaRicaLifestyle.info Since 18 years, I have Never Looked Back and have Never Regretted Leaving that Dysfunctional Cesspool. Jump in, the 'Water' is Very Beautiful... Glad to help anyone considering a Fresh New Life. Cheers
That’s one of many possible locales to choose, but from my experience, there’s just no perfect place. Every locale has pluses and minuses. You payz your dues, and takez your chances! ;)

That’s one of many possible locales to choose, but from my experience, there’s just no perfect place. Every locale has pluses and minuses. You payz your dues, and takez your chances! ;)

"PERFECT" is when we Leave this World but in the Meantime, if you were to Choose between 'HELL' or 'High Water', which would it be.? Between my wife and I, we have Traveled the World Over and Unlike Dorothy, Oz still Lives in the US and Yes, there are Other Places to 'Live' other than the Sanctimonious Once Upon a Time 'Good Ole US/A". If you want to Learn how to Sail, consider Experiencing 'Living' Life on an Air Conditioned Sailboat where the World can literally become your Oyster. That's how I found Costa Rica 18 years ago. The US Govt has long since Flushed the US and Everyone in it 'Down the Proverbial Toilet'. Do search YouTube: George Carlin, "It's a Big Club and you're Not Invited". See you at the next Chapter. Cheers Mate

"PERFECT" is when we Leave this World but in the Meantime, if you were to Choose between 'HELL' or 'High Water', which would it be.? Between my wife and I, we have Traveled the World Over and Unlike Dorothy, Oz still Lives in the US and Yes, there are Other Places to 'Live' other than the Sanctimonious Once Upon a Time 'Good Ole US/A". If you want to Learn how to Sail, consider Experiencing 'Living' Life on an Air Conditioned Sailboat where the World can literally become your Oyster. That's how I found Costa Rica 18 years ago. The US Govt has long since Flushed the US and Everyone in it 'Down the Proverbial Toilet'. Do search YouTube: George Carlin, "It's a Big Club and you're Not Invited". See you at the next Chapter. Cheers Mate
I’m thrilled it’s working for you! Best of luck, Aloha...

Thank you Hawaiian Brother, If I did, anyone with Desire, a little Luck and Perseverance, God Willing, so can you... If you were to Choose between 'HELL' or 'High Water', which would it be.? I Chose 'Independence and a little Help from The BOSS. Cheers Mate

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials