Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Hi from Idaho

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am impatiently awaiting my Evo delivery, hopefully tomorrow. This site kept popping up when I was doing info searches and I love a good forum so I thought I would join. Very much a novice and only own a couple cheap drones, which I will now give to my husband. ? Yep, I'm lady who loves taking pics and video. A coworker let me fly his Phantom 3 a couple weeks ago and I am hooked. He uses it for work (and play) to take pics of projects in process and had me come along as his spotter. I decided on the Evo after reading a ton about consternation people have with DJI's software and NFZs. I live near a small airport on 5 acres but have large fields all around me. I have checked my location on the FAA map and have a 100' ceiling surrounding me but a 0' a couple sections over. It really made me nervous to buy a DJI and then not be able to fly it at home because they decide to be too cautious. We have horses and pack in the wilderness so I wanted a drone that I could pack easily to get some aerial vids and pics of some of the most beautiful parts of where I live. I hope I love it as much as others seem to love theirs. Thanks for all the help you all provide.

Last edited:
Ha! Mine are too lazy to run anywhere unless I am trying to catch them. Even then their heart isn't in it very long or far. They have even gotten used to the drone buzzing above them. The border collie on the other hand is hilarious and I have to be careful in knowing where she is when taking off and landing. She would love to get her teeth on it. I probably need to get video in the snow of the hubby on his quad with the dog chasing him.

Thanks for the welcome.

Reactions: Ansia
Thanks!

So I did a test with Airmap today to see if I could get automatic authorization and it went through. It shows me 3 miles from the airport. Ceiling is 100' as I had already known and all the advisories/rules were listed in the app. EVO is out for delivery! I needed to make sure that I would have no problems operating at my house before I open the box. I don't want the drone police showing up. LOL.

Last edited:
If you want to fly higher than the 100' for automatic authorization, I suggest you get your Part 107 Certification. This will allow you to submit for an authorization for up to 400', plus waivers to fly at night, over people, etc.

Some are harder to get than others, but having that certification removes a lot of limitations RePL have.

Reactions: redwooddesigns
Thank you. I will think on this. My coworker has 107 cert. so I will talk with him about it once I get comfortable with flying a "real" drone. I did make my zone just over my property and probably won't fly outside it at first so I can make sure to get my craft back should something go awry.

I wish it wasn't so windy today. Horses had dust blowing all around my landing zone so this is all I got before we stopped. My yaw is too fast but to me this footage is amazing for my first time with a real flying camera. The other drone I have has a 720p single gimbal camera and it's just unwatchable. I didn't change any settings at all and it will take much more practice and research to see what appeals to me. I don't know much about file formats other than RAW from my DSLR so that will take some time and research as well. No editing so this is straight off the card.

I can tell I will love this hobby and am certainly hooked. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Looks like you have a great place to practice. Great scenery.
A couple things I noticed that might help you a little.
1: The yaw can be adjusted in the settings but another way to get a better yaw is to use your index finger and thumb on the controller. Seems to work a lot better and I find it easier to keep a constant speed.
2: It looks like you turned off the drone and it stopped the video. Doing it that way can corrupt your file. It's best to stop video on your phone/tablet or controller. If it does corrupt a file there is a way to fix the file. Just turn the drone on and start another video and end it. The problem is that it didn't not finish the previous file and when you start a new one it finishes the old one.

Reactions: redwooddesigns
Thanks! The yaw will take practice for sure. I may slow it down in the settings at first.

I didn't turn the drone off but was trying to remember buttons and where they were so that's why it sat so long. I took it up a couple more times after this video.

Reactions: Tufargon

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles