Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

GPS GNSS Receiver

mapman97

Reaction score
Website
droneviewgis.com
Hi All,

I am trying to decide between the SparkFun RTK Facet L-Band and the Robota RoboDot GPS GNSS receivers. I currently have an Autel EVO II Pro Enterprise with an RTK unit. I really like the Sparkfun GNSS, but it does not log RINEX files. I also plan to use OPUS for PPK workflows. My accuracy requirements are around 6-12 inches for mostly GIS mapping work and initial field reconnaissance requests.

Does anyone have any experience with the two options below.

SparkFun RTK Facet L-Band

RoboDot RTK

Regards,

Gerry

why not go with Emlid, its PROVEN...
Thanks for your reply.

The cost for the same specs out of the box is prohibitive with Emlid. In addition, Sparkfun Corp pays for the first year corrections subscription. I am waiting to hear back on the cost after the subscription expires. I also read a forum post that it's still accurate to 1.5 feet without a CORS network. This level of accuracy still works in the mining industry for the majority of projects. We have used data with much worse tolerances than that in the past.

Last edited:
how well does this receiver send corrections to the drone? have you looked into that? There is more to look at when it comes to drones and GNSS equipment

how well does this receiver send corrections to the drone? have you looked into that? There is more to look at when it comes to drones and GNSS equipment
I really don't know how well the receivers send corrections to the drone. But, that should be perfected by now with today's technology I would think.

The RoboDot folks build and produce their own drones, so I am confident their product will fit the bill. Sparkfun guys tell be their unit will work with RTK drones from the specs I have sent them through emails, no number to talk to a live person. I am just looking for something better than a handheld Garmin GPS like some of my colleagues are using for field work.

Do the Emlid RS+ single band work just as well as the Emlid RS2+ Dual band units?

Just talked to the owner of Robota (RoboDot). He is willing to meet with me and demo connecting his product to my RTK drone. Very cool of him I thought.

Regards,

Gerry

I really don't know how well the receivers send corrections to the drone. But, that should be perfected by now with today's technology I would think.

The RoboDot folks build and produce their own drones, so I am confident their product will fit the bill. Sparkfun guys tell be their unit will work with RTK drones from the specs I have sent them through emails, no number to talk to a live person. I am just looking for something better than a handheld Garmin GPS like some of my colleagues are using for field work.

Do the Emlid RS+ single band work just as well as the Emlid RS2+ Dual band units?

Just talked to the owner of Robota (RoboDot). He is willing to meet with me and demo connecting his product to my RTK drone. Very cool of him I thought.

Regards,

Gerry
Very cool, indeed, Yes the L1 units work just as well as the L2, just need time to bake a lil while more, And then send corrections to the drone with no issue at all

Regards,

Gerry
Hi Gerry,

I'm in exactly the same boat (agriculture rather than mining) and I was wondering what decision you made? It looks like the sparkfun can log RAWX files to convert to RINEX with RTKCONV.

Hi Gerry,

I'm in exactly the same boat (agriculture rather than mining) and I was wondering what decision you made? It looks like the sparkfun can log RAWX files to convert to RINEX with RTKCONV.
Hi CineRik,

I decided to go with RoboDot over Sparkfun RTK Facet. I spoke directly with the CEO of Robota about his product and Sparkfun would only communicate through emails and forums. Robota has been building drones for many years and I could not find one single drone pilot that connected the Sparkfun GNSS Receiver to a drone. They both offered 1 to 2 cm accuracy, but RoboDot does not have a subscription fee after the first year. The main reason I went with RoboDot was the ability to connect a RTK equipped drone to the RoboDot as if there is a NTRIP network. Easy to setup and works every time. The post processing is not as bad as I thought it would be and the general accuracy of the final aerial output using WebODM has been less than half a foot from the actual RoboDOT location. The general accuracy from image to image is even better.

To sum up, I'm glad I went with RoboDOT, it's cost effective, fast setup, and very reproducible.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Gerry

Attachments

• 1Before_RoboDot.jpg
    1Before_RoboDot.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 2After_RoboDot2.jpg
    2After_RoboDot2.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 11
Hi CineRik,

I decided to go with RoboDot over Sparkfun RTK Facet. I spoke directly with the CEO of Robota about his product and Sparkfun would only communicate through emails and forums. Robota has been building drones for many years and I could not find one single drone pilot that connected the Sparkfun GNSS Receiver to a drone. They both offered 1 to 2 cm accuracy, but RoboDot does not have a subscription fee after the first year. The main reason I went with RoboDot was the ability to connect a RTK equipped drone to the RoboDot as if there is a NTRIP network. Easy to setup and works every time. The post processing is not as bad as I thought it would be and the general accuracy of the final aerial output using WebODM has been less than half a foot from the actual RoboDOT location. The general accuracy from image to image is even better.

To sum up, I'm glad I went with RoboDOT, it's cost effective, fast setup, and very reproducible.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Gerry
It absolutely does. Thank you for the detailed reply.

Sorry - 'it absolutely does' was a reply to 'Hope this helps'. Robodot definitely looks like the right direction for me to go in.
When you place your order, please let Antonio know that Gerry ([email protected]) helped you make your final decision. I don't get anything from it, but I promised Antonio I would spread the good word about his awesome RoboDot.

Mine is charged up and ready to go.

Happy flying.

Regards,

Gerry

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_145811558.jpg
    IMG_20230513_145811558.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: EBEPLS and CineRik

Regards,

Gerry
Dual band antenna and receivers will provide the highest and most consistent accuracy, due to the larger number of satelites acquired. IMHO

Dual band antenna and receivers will provide the highest and most consistent accuracy, due to the larger number of satelites acquired. IMHO
Thank you for your response. Another reason I went with RoboDot over the Emlid RS(+) single band. OPUS only excepts dual band.

Sure.

5 items total:

1 RoboDot
1 Wall Plug
1 USB-C cable
1 5/8 to 1/4 adapter
1 small stencil

I bought the pole separately from Huepar.

Regards,

Gerry

Sure.

5 items total:

1 RoboDot
1 Wall Plug
1 USB-C cable
1 5/8 to 1/4 adapter
1 small stencil

I bought the pole separately from Huepar.

Regards,

Gerry
Tks Gerry. How's it going with testing this rig?

Hi CineRik,

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Gerry
How much does it cost?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles