Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying into sun

Herdfan

Reaction score
This evening there was little wind for the first time in a few days so I decided to fly my Evo. Just got it for Christmas so it's all still kind of new.

For this flight I decided to go from the rear of my house so I could sit on my deck and fly it. Got it out about 1500' and started to return and I was getting warnings on my screen that I was about to hit something. I am looking at the drone and there is nothing anywhere near it. Finally had to turn it around and come in backwards.

Since it was late afternoon the sun was very low in the sky and on a direct path between my and the Evo. Could the sun have caused my problem?

The sun will cause it to think something is in front of it when the conditions are right. Just be sure to verify visually that is really what it is.

Reactions: Ansia
You've never read the story how Icarus tried to fly towards the sun with his wax wings? ?

On a serious note, like Alaska stated, when the sun hits the sensor or a reflective light hits the sensors, it will trigger OA, causing your drone to slow down or stop completely. What I do in times like these is turn off OA, but leave the sensor indicators just in case. It saves battery power and gets you that shot you are looking for.

So I can turn off OA while in mid-flight?

Did not know that, thanks.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791