Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Fly aways

Lucky luke

Reaction score
99% of fly aways is the pilots own fault, before flying go and inspect the area for towers there is so many towers these days mtn, vodacom, tv, and they make a lot of noise if u get to close then your drone cant hear the controler and drift away. Even when you do a rage test the signal gets weak and any tower can make a noise and u can drift away so be carefull the evo is exspensive dont lose it to stupidity. To take nice vid and pics you dont have to fly 200 meters high and 4km out.

99% of fly aways is the pilots own fault, before flying go and inspect the area for towers there is so many towers these days mtn, vodacom, tv, and they make a lot of noise if u get to close then your drone cant hear the controler and drift away. Even when you do a rage test the signal gets weak and any tower can make a noise and u can drift away so be carefull the evo is exspensive dont lose it to stupidity. To take nice vid and pics you dont have to fly 200 meters high and 4km out.
Although I agree that most fly aways occur due to pilot error, I disagree on the fly aways being caused by cell towers. When signal is lost, the drone initiates RTH. If it lost RTH, it will Auto-Land on it's current position.

Most Fly Aways have been caused by taking off from a magnetic interference area (even if you didn't get the error message). If you take from XY coordinates and you fly south 500', but the magnetic interference made your drone believe it flew east 500', once it corrects it's bearing, it will try to correct itself. That is where the flying without input happens. I have experienced this twice with the same bird.

I agree with u on that one i also had a magnetic warninig and only after i did a compass callabration it came right. But if your drone dont drift off and u stay in the area of the tower and u dont go over to atti mode the drone cant go into RTH mode because of the tower noise. That us how i understand it.

In my experience, a cell tower does not affect the GPS or compass. It only affects the signal, so the drone should return. If you lose GPS while going near cell towers, then your module is faulty. That being said, I have losy GPD dignal while flying free of obstacles at 250' but that was caused by a Sahara Desert dust cloud that every year the winds bring to the Americas.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Although I agree that most fly aways occur due to pilot error, I disagree on the fly aways being caused by cell towers. When signal is lost, the drone initiates RTH. If it lost RTH, it will Auto-Land on it's current position.

Most Fly Aways have been caused by taking off from a magnetic interference area (even if you didn't get the error message). If you take from XY coordinates and you fly south 500', but the magnetic interference made your drone believe it flew east 500', once it corrects it's bearing, it will try to correct itself. That is where the flying without input happens. I have experienced this twice with the same bird.
I’ve had 3 uncontrollable fly-aways on my XSP’s, but they were all caused by a faulty compass module. The first two times I hit RTH 27 times — and that made it come back. I then tried to figure-out what I was doing wrong, but kept flying. The 3rd time (in a week) it flew out over the ocean, but somehow landed a mile away in somebody’s yard. That’s when I called Autel and they reviewed the log, and fixed it under warranty...

Reactions: Ansia
I agree with u on that one i also had a magnetic warninig and only after i did a compass callabration it came right. But if your drone dont drift off and u stay in the area of the tower and u dont go over to atti mode the drone cant go into RTH mode because of the tower noise. That us how i understand it.
How do you “go over to Atti mode”?

I lost my previous Evo just flying around a container ship... It never activate RTH. Learned the lesson to never fly close to container ships... Maintain a long distance to them.

Reactions: Antonello
On the topic of magnetic interference at take-off, someone suggested to me that steel reinforcement in our concrete deck might throw the compass off. I doubted this, but as soon as I started launching from our deck, I started having compass errors, and as soon as I went back to launching from a grassy area, the problems went away. If the rebar had somehow become magnetized -- this might be the reason. At any rate, I've stopped launching from concrete slabs.

On the topic of magnetic interference at take-off, someone suggested to me that steel reinforcement in our concrete deck might throw the compass off. I doubted this, but as soon as I started launching from our deck, I started having compass errors, and as soon as I went back to launching from a grassy area, the problems went away. If the rebar had somehow become magnetized -- this might be the reason. At any rate, I've stopped launching from concrete slabs.
Metal does not have to be "magnetized" per se in order to cause interference with devices that rely on magnetic inputs.

When I was a young soldier we used compasses for land nav.Something taught early on was to keep the compass away from metallic objects with iron/steel to avoid interference. Something as small as a wrist watch could throw a compass off by a degree or two. Larger items, such as a weapon, even more. A degree or two seems innocent until you have to navigate 1500 meters with dog legs in the route, LOL.

I try to avoid anything with lots of metal when flying my EVO, especially at take off.

Metal does not have to be "magnetized" per se in order to cause interference with devices that rely on magnetic inputs.

When I was a young soldier we used compasses for land nav.Something taught early on was to keep the compass away from metallic objects with iron/steel to avoid interference. Something as small as a wrist watch could throw a compass off by a degree or two. Larger items, such as a weapon, even more. A degree or two seems innocent until you have to navigate 1500 meters with dog legs in the route, LOL.

I try to avoid anything with lots of metal when flying my EVO, especially at take off.
I agree. I had issues taking-off and landing in Hawaii on old military bases. Most all of the concrete was steel reenforce and rusting badly in places where it was exposed. It didn’t shut me down, but it made things dicey at times...

Interesting conversation!!! One day I took off from pavement street, very close to a sewer reinforced iron cover, and almost immediately the aircraft went up +- 15 ft and dropped down to +- 6 ft, kept repeating ups and downs until I was able to grabbed it and turn off the RC. Is this an example of compass error??

Interesting conversation!!! One day I took off from pavement street, very close to a sewer reinforced iron cover, and almost immediately the aircraft went up +- 15 ft and dropped down to +- 6 ft, kept repeating ups and downs until I was able to grabbed it and turn off the RC. Is this an example of compass error??
Could be, but I have never experienced this myself, so I am not sure.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy