Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flight authorization

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I've just recently received my license, so I'm still learning... I'm looking for guidance regarding the authority to fly in a certain airspace. I have access to hunt in certain areas of the military base, Fort Hunter Liggett (238 California Avenue, Jolon, CA 93928). I'm interested in using my E2P while I'm there. Looking at the sectional, I see an area marked as R-2513. I recognize that as Restricted.

When looking at this sectional: VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts
I see a campground area that is just north of the R-2513. However, it's inside a burgundy hashed area called the "Hunter low A and High MOA." What FAA regulations apply, and/or do I need to get base approval to fly near the campground and adjoining areas?

Thanks for any input/advice. Dave

As far as I recall, you just have to use Extreme caution while flying there. But I would call the military commander in the area and make sure its not hot when i wanted to fly.

I would call the local FAA FSDO for clarification; even the military commander may not know the FAA's take on it. My local FL FSDO is very helpful and has been able to answer any questions I have had in the past; just tell them that you have a UAS question and they will route you to the right person.

I would also ask the FSDO if there are any restrictions for taking off or landing a drone at the military base which could be in place by the military facility itself. The FAA controls the airspace above the base, but the base could have additional restrictions that prevent you from taking off or landing a drone on their facilities.

I thought I read somewhere years ago that there was a blanket drone ban for all military bases. Personally, I would never step foot on a military base with a drone; you waive nearly every right you have when you step foot on a military base and all it would take is some over zealous MP for you to never see your drone again.

Last edited:
Reactions: superflyguy
I would call the local FAA FSDO for clarification; even the military commander may not know the FAA's take on it. My local FL FSDO is very helpful and has been able to answer any questions I have had in the past; just tell them that you have a UAS question and they will route you to the right person.

I would also ask the FSDO if there are any restrictions for taking off or landing a drone at the military base which could be in place by the military facility itself. The FAA controls the airspace above the base, but the base could have additional restrictions that prevent you from taking off or landing a drone on their facilities.

I thought I read somewhere years ago that there was a blanket drone ban for all military bases. Personally, I would never step foot on a military base with a drone; you waive nearly every right you have when you step foot on a military base and all it would take is some over zealous MP for you to never see your drone again.
Excellent advice!

As I'm researching this in more depth, I found a portion of the Base's website where I can request a photography permit, so I will explore that in more detail. I also found an FAA resource that shows a graphical display of "no drone fly" military areas:

Thanks for the input everyone!

IF it's an MOA, you have to excersise EXTREME Caution!

If operating around a Restricted Area, the FSDO will NOT have that information and you need to contact the Operating Authority to Verify if the Restricted Area is HOT or NOT and they will usually tell you what Hours it is active as well!

Reactions: gschulzuio
IF it's an MOA, you have to excersise EXTREME Caution!

If operating around a Restricted Area, the FSDO will NOT have that information and you need to contact the Operating Authority to Verify if the Restricted Area is HOT or NOT and they will usually tell you what Hours it is active as well!
Good point, and if you look at a sectional (or digital version via an app), it should give point of contact for the MOA or other area.

I don't remember the exact place I read this but I remember reading in the last few months of someone being arrested and fined for using a drone while they were out hunting. Even though they said they weren't using it during the actual hunt they were still fined. Apparently it is illegal to use a drone to aid a hunt operation. I'm not a hunter so I don't keep up with those regulations.

I don't remember the exact place I read this but I remember reading in the last few months of someone being arrested and fined for using a drone while they were out hunting. Even though they said they weren't using it during the actual hunt they were still fined. Apparently it is illegal to use a drone to aid a hunt operation. I'm not a hunter so I don't keep up with those regulations.
It varies state by state, or even local regulations. Generally you are not supposed to harass wildlife which can include "driving" them to where a hunter/harvester is. Some states like Wisconsin have regulations that also prevent use of a drone to interfere with somebody fishing or hunting (e.g. the hunter is not using a drone, someone who us anti-hunting is using the drone). Thus look into your specific state and local regulations.

Check for NOTAMS to see if a MOA is active. That's what pilots flying in their aircraft do. Personally, I would fly elsewhere.

in some places, not only can you not use the drone but also you can't even have one with you on the hunt.

Good afternoon,

I've just recently received my license, so I'm still learning... I'm looking for guidance regarding the authority to fly in a certain airspace. I have access to hunt in certain areas of the military base, Fort Hunter Liggett (238 California Avenue, Jolon, CA 93928). I'm interested in using my E2P while I'm there. Looking at the sectional, I see an area marked as R-2513. I recognize that as Restricted.

When looking at this sectional: VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts
I see a campground area that is just north of the R-2513. However, it's inside a burgundy hashed area called the "Hunter low A and High MOA." What FAA regulations apply, and/or do I need to get base approval to fly near the campground and adjoining areas?

Thanks for any input/advice. Dave

Be careful ... in almost all states it is illegal to use drones to spot game while hunting, though photography OK many places.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles