Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Finding a lost drone

hummerbk

Reaction score
New Evo owner. Assuming I crash my Evo and it no longer is communicating with the remote. Does the Explorer app remember the drones last location so I can use it to guide me to it?
There is a bulls eye icon on the screen that lets me choose between Me, Home and Aircraft. Is that what I use to find it?

Update: I found the flight logs and I think the might be what I need to find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tealsmoke57
New Evo owner. Assuming I crash my Evo and it no longer is communicating with the remote. Does the Explorer app remember the drones last location so I can use it to guide me to it?
There is a bulls eye icon on the screen that lets me choose between Me, Home and Aircraft. Is that what I use to find it?

Update: I found the flight logs and I think the might be what I need to find it.
try looking at the Flt log, see where it was going at the time.

Hope you are able to locate it OP.

I had been considering putting a Tile on my Evo when it arrives and while I don't think it'd be perfect I'm starting to come of the mindset that anything that might help to track it in a situation like that is probably a very good thing....

Reactions: gwc
I used the google map on the a;pp to locate mine when it went down. Your flight path should be traced on the map.

Marco Polo will let you track it for miles. Tile is only good within bluetooth range. Cell trackers are better, but not if there is no cell service. Marco Polo works no matter what.

Marco Polo will let you track it for miles. Tile is only good within bluetooth range. Cell trackers are better, but not if there is no cell service. Marco Polo works no matter what.

Great device if you can afford it. Not something in my price range but I am retired and on a fixed income.
In flat open terrain with few obstructions, Marco Polo’s communication range can be up to 2 miles. In open terrain with rolling hills and few obstructions, the range is about 1 mile. In typical suburban areas, the average communication range is about 2,000 feet.

Opera Snapshot_2020-02-15_144403_www.pettrackerreviews.com.png

Great device if you can afford it. Not something in my price range but I am retired and on a fixed income.
In flat open terrain with few obstructions, Marco Polo’s communication range can be up to 2 miles. In open terrain with rolling hills and few obstructions, the range is about 1 mile. In typical suburban areas, the average communication range is about 2,000 feet.

View attachment 6272
I figure if I just paid around $900 for a drone, this is cheap insurance. And it can be put on with velcro so it can be moved to and used with other items. I've tested it by having the DSH hide it in the woods and I try to find it (just the tracker) with no clue even which way he went on our 15 acres. I can pretty much walk right to it with an occasional zigzag. As long as you know which way the drone was going when it was lost you can walk, or drive that direction with the receiver running in the car, and it will start sounding off when it gets in range. If it is in tall grass or bushes it will take you right to the spot within inches. I got the dog collar model that is in a waterproof case so it won't quit working if it lands in water. The drone will be toast, but you will at least get your SD card back and maybe a repairable bird.

I use the Trakimo & Maco Polo on my quads for tracking purposes. I have recovered a lost x-star with my Marco Polo unit, well worth the money. Now I use the Trakimo in cellular areas & the Marco Polo in non- cellular areas for a piece of mind while I'm flying.

I figure if I just paid around $900 for a drone, this is cheap insurance. And it can be put on with velcro so it can be moved to and used with other items. I've tested it by having the DSH hide it in the woods and I try to find it (just the tracker) with no clue even which way he went on our 15 acres. I can pretty much walk right to it with an occasional zigzag. As long as you know which way the drone was going when it was lost you can walk, or drive that direction with the receiver running in the car, and it will start sounding off when it gets in range. If it is in tall grass or bushes it will take you right to the spot within inches. I got the dog collar model that is in a waterproof case so it won't quit working if it lands in water. The drone will be toast, but you will at least get your SD card back and maybe a repairable bird.

I'm going to look into a Marco Polo. The area I was flying in southern New Mexico is heavily forested and there is no cell phone coverage.I was concerned that with no ability to load a map, if it crashed I wouldn't be able to find it. So much to learn but losing my drone is not something I want to learn the hard way.

I count on State Farm insurance to buy me a new drone if I ever get in a situation I can't find mine.

Of course since we all only fly VLOS it shouldn't happen often.

I bought a Marco Polo drone tracker and put it on my drones, even the toy grade ones and have never lost one. Plenty have went down, but I always find them or at least what's left of them.

Buy a Marco Polo drone tracker. Even with the last know location, there can be trees or high brush or the drone drifted after it lost connection. I have not lost one since buying one. I have been within two feet of a downed drone and couldn't see it because it was high in a tree. Without the tracker I would never have found it.

For the price of a Marco Polo I can insure a drone for four years. That includes loss from all causes, not just losing it.

If your drone goes down out of sight there is a good chance that it may have sustained other damage. The Marco Polo won't fix that, but insurance will

For the price of a Marco Polo I can insure a drone for four years. That includes loss from all causes, not just losing it.

If your drone goes down out of sight there is a good chance that it may have sustained other damage. The Marco Polo won't fix that, but insurance will
Insurance will only work once. I know I had it. Once you make a claim you will get paid and then dropped with farm bureau and companies are too expensive, especially after a claim. Once you buy the tracker, no annual payment. I have many drones and haven’t lost one yet although they go down all the time, especially the racing drones. Get the tracker.

One other nice thing with the Marco Polo (which I used to find my lost x-star) is that you only need 1 receiver, you can add up to 3 individual transmitters if you own multiple quads.

Insurance will only work once. I know I had it. Once you make a claim you will get paid and then dropped with farm bureau and companies are too expensive, especially after a claim. Once you buy the tracker, no annual payment. I have many drones and haven’t lost one yet although they go down all the time, especially the racing drones. Get the tracker.

Don't fly racers and have yet to have one go down. I will stay with insurance until I need a tracker. Been with SF for 40 years; currently two houses, four vehicles and general liability, 1 ATV and the drone. I doubt they will cancel me for one instance after having the drone policy for 4 years covering two drones; YMMV.

Last edited:
i use Marco Polo Awsome!!!!!! I Fly over corn fields loose one over over a 100acre corn field, good luck finding it! very very cheap insurance, they really work!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials