Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO II Cracking Cause

Just got mine back a month ago and just noticed a crack on the body again
img_2844-jpg.9890
For what it's worth, my cracks are developing in EXACTLY the same area as the one in this picture posted by Bigdz. And when I say exactly, I mean EXACTLY!

Reactions: PingSpike
Wow! So that definitely explains why some are having issues with cracking shells and others are not. It’s beyond me why they didn’t change them out when Autel had my drone in for issues and warrantied the shell while in their custody? I’m also partially convinced that maybe the reason why some have had absolutely no issues with their EVO II and others have had issues is from different chip boards or hardware in different production times or runs. I say that because some have experienced absolutely no issues and praise this drone, while others have been faced with true issues and frustrations. Just tracking the evolution of the EVO II over the past year, it’s easy to find people who have had compass/gps issues, obstacle avoidance issues, gimbals freaking out and shaking uncontrollably, abnormal flight patterns, separated plastic of the motor arms, loss of focus, shell cracks and so on. That’s all outside of the firmware issues that have plagued some firmware versions. Just a theory. Thanks for cracking open your shell and giving proof of the difference between the two drones! Have a good one! Adios!
I agree. It's like they never fully tested their product before release. And they seemed to change things as they went along. It's as if the customers were their testing center. The scary part is, it seems like they knew what they were doing.

On another note. I took the shells off of my evo2, because my batteries were getting too hot. I took a Dremel and opened the upper shell's sides, where the battery is, or where those small vents are. I turned the small vents into 2 big vents, one on each side. I actually got 15 degree F cooler batt temps, which was all I needed.

That orange shell isn't functional at all, except for the upper forward half where the camera is. The camera actually fits into that upper front half. So, I, in my infinite wisdom took my shell apart again and broke the top piece in half. I only attached the upper top half, so the camera could be fixed in place appropriately. The back upper and the entire bottom remained off while I used it for a while. And guess what, the whole machine ran cooler , lighter and faster. But i'm didn't leave it like that. I bought a new upper shell.

Lastly, half of the screws holding the orange shell in place are not needed. There's like 28 screws holding those flimsy, useless pieces of plastic onto the inner frame. I only used half when I reattached the shells. And guess what, no cracking issues.

It's like they never fully tested their product before release. And they seemed to change things as they went along. It's as if the customers were their testing center. The scary part is, it seems like they knew what they were doing.
Whole heartedly agree with this 100%

Reactions: PingSpike
So you wouldn't follow warranty guidelines, you removed a structural screw to fix a cosmetic problem, and you didn't consider replacing the structural screw with one with a flatter head. Huh.
For one…I was one of the first few to receive my EVO II state side directly from China, so my warranty has been done for some time now. Second, I already had it replaced and returned from Autel with a new shell for THE SAME CRACKS that appeared once again less than a month back from Autel. I am technically able and willing to give it a look over and found these crappily chosen screws as the issue. If you would’ve cracked one open yourself, you’d see these screws are far from structural. Another screw is unnecessary and I no longer have an issue. But hey, what do I know

For one…I was one of the first few to receive my EVO II state side directly from China, so my warranty has been done for some time now. Second, I already had it replaced and returned from Autel with a new shell for THE SAME CRACKS that appeared once again less than a month back from Autel. I am technically able and willing to give it a look over and found these crappily chosen screws as the issue. If you would’ve cracked one open yourself, you’d see these screws are far from structural. Another screw is unnecessary and I no longer have an issue. But hey, what do I know
I don't have the same issue, and I don't know you. I would have done it differently, but it sound like you've got it all figured out. I just want to know what those screws are for? Engineering mistake? Holding something from vibrating internally? Meant to provide damping for the outer shell? Actually extra? Like a clearance hole existed and some tech just decided to put a screw in that hole? I guess it doesn't matter unless your airframe falls out of the sky and that screw was the cause... But hey, like you say, what do I know.

I've got the same hairline crack near the battery vents. As frustrated as I am, I just decided to accept it for what it is.

You can clearly see the internal chassis once you remove the battery, so, the shell isn't that structurally important.

My Autel has a battle scar now, proof of around 75 completed flights :)

"It is what it is."

Reactions: aebiv
The Orange shell is essentially a dust protector. I've flown my Evo2 without the plastic shell covering without any issue. There is a part of the top front of the plastic shell involved in keeping the camera in place, but I rigged a solution to that and flew it without the shell and with the camera. The battery stays about 10 degrees F cooler without the shell. Why they have so many screws holding the top and bottom halves of the shell in place is illogical. After I took the shell off, I only used 60 percent of the screws to put it back on. This actually reduced the strain on the plastic, reducing it's chances to crack. NOTE: YOU CAN BUY THE TOP AND BOTTOM HALVES OF THE SHELL FOR 20 usa DOLLARS EACH. If you develope too many cracks just buy a new shell. It's easy to remove, you just have to make sure you get every single screw out before trying to take it apart.

Here is a video, if you should ever choose to do so.

Reactions: aebiv and AstroNoot
The Orange shell is essentially a dust protector. I've flown my Evo2 without the plastic shell covering without any issue. There is a part of the top front of the plastic shell involved in keeping the camera in place, but I rigged a solution to that and flew it without the shell and with the camera. The battery stays about 10 degrees F cooler without the shell. Why they have so many screws holding the top and bottom halves of the shell in place is illogical. After I took the shell off, I only used 60 percent of the screws to put it back on. This actually reduced the strain on the plastic, reducing it's chances to crack. NOTE: YOU CAN BUY THE TOP AND BOTTOM HALVES OF THE SHELL FOR 20 usa DOLLARS EACH. If you develope too many cracks just buy a new shell. It's easy to remove, you just have to make sure you get every single screw out before trying to take it apart.

Here is a video, if you should ever choose to do so.
My Evo 2 was involved in a crash because of a Dynamic Track error. Had some blemishes on it and decided to change the top shell.

I replaced my top shell but god damn, the screws in the battery slot were so hard to remove...
And every other screw felt like it was made out of "chinesium". They stripped almost instantly.

Since then, I found replacement screws (with Philips heads) for my Evo and now it's way easier to disassemble it in case I wanna fix it again.

And just like you said, the inside is built like a tank. My Evo 2 kissed a tree but none of the internal structure was damaged.

LOL, I remember trying to take the battery compartment screws out. I stripped one and couldn't get it out. I got all the screws out except that one. I got the top shell off by snapping the plastic around the screw. I didn't care because I was putting a new shell on any way. Needless to say, the battery compartment screw slots remain empty to this day. There is no way I'll be putting those back in. They are redundant as most of the screws are anyway.

LOL, I remember trying to take the battery compartment screws out. I stripped one and couldn't get it out. I got all the screws out except that one. I got the top shell off by snapping the plastic around the screw. I didn't care because I was putting a new shell on any way. Needless to say, the battery compartment screw slots remain empty to this day. There is no way I'll be putting those back in. They are redundant as most of the screws are anyway.
Literally the exact same thing happened to me! I had to visit a dentist friend , and he helped me drill out that screw , haha!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy