Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

E2P V3 Questions

andrew124C41

Reaction score
Yesterday I lost my E2P V2. I lost signal at 360 foot altitude and only 1700 foot distance. The drone is insured.

I am thinking about getting the V3 because I still have the controller and lots of batteries and accessories but I have been reading about the problems... Not to mention the absolutely disgraceful customer service.

I live on the edge of the DC SFRA and DJI geofencing is inaccurate which is why I want with Autel.

Questions:

1) Can the V3 be used with the V2 controller or type of controller or only with the Smart Controller. The V2 was better controlled with duel stability and I think it was called precision mode... something like that...and these are now missing.

2) How about the signal loss issue which seems to have happened to others with the V2...is the V3 any better?

3) Are any other iterations like the Enterprise model any better? I could not read the display on the controller that someone posted. Does the Enterprise model have the missing flight modes?

4) Hoe about the Mission side of things. Are they the same as the V2?

Finally, I would like to hear anything good or bad about your experiences so I can figure out what to do.

Thanks

I am pretty sure the missing flight modes are only on the Smart Controller SE.. The app for the larger Smart controller has the flight modes from what I have seen. Mission planning should be on par.

Controllers not compatible between V2 and V3, flight batteries are.

Have not experienced signal loss so can't say there.

I am pretty sure the missing flight modes are only on the Smart Controller SE.. The app for the larger Smart controller has the flight modes from what I have seen. Mission planning should be on par.

Controllers not compatible between V2 and V3, flight batteries are.

Have not experienced signal loss so can't say there.
Does the Smart Controller SE come with the drone?

Is it as bright as a TrippleTek tablet? Can you use a tablet with the V3?

What kind of controller does the V3 Enterprise model have?

The SCSE is shipped with the Evo2 Pro.

The Enterprise version and the RTK version is shipped with the larger smart controller, there is no non-smart controller option to use with a tablet.

The V3 smart controller is rated at 2000 nits.. so it is pretty bright.

Is the
The SCSE is shipped with the Evo2 Pro.

The Enterprise version and the RTK version is shipped with the larger smart controller, there is no non-smart controller option to use with a tablet.

The V3 smart controller is rated at 2000 nits.. so it is pretty bright.
Is the SE version as bright? So, I would have to purchase the Enterprise version to get all the smart functions.

What I am concerned about is that I just lost my V2 while doing a smart orbit. It didn't RTH but just kept going and wound up in trees in the side of a small mountain!

I am concerned that the V3 might do the same thing. Can it be trusted to RTH if signal is lost?

You would have to purchase the Enterprise or the RTK unit that is bundled with the larger smart controller. RTK is slightly less expensive. You could also work with a dealer to re-package the larger controller with the standard Pro version.

I cannot see why they would not update the app in the SE version to include all the flight features.. but cannot depend on that happening.

Cibsi
You would have to purchase the Enterprise or the RTK unit that is bundled with the larger smart controller. RTK is slightly less expensive. You could also work with a dealer to re-package the larger controller with the standard Pro version.

I cannot see why they would not update the app in the SE version to include all the flight features.. but cannot depend on that happening.
Considering that I just lost my V2 because it lost signal while in smart orbit... And it didn't RTH... And apparently others report the same issue... Maybe that is why they don't have it... But then why is it on the RTK and Enterprise.

(My V2 is still under warranty but who knows if they will honor it.)

If there was a RTH failure perhaps there is something in the logs that would be of use to Autel... and worthy of full or partial discount on new..

Who knows.
If there was a RTH failure perhaps there is something in the logs that would be of use to Autel... and worthy of full or partial discount on new..
But, I have heard this is a problem with V2 when in intelligent modes won't RTH... I have heard this from a couple people since this happened.

Who knows.

But, I have heard this is a problem with V2 when in intelligent modes won't RTH... I have heard this from a couple people since this happened.
Damn ! I'm sorry you lost your V2. Is there anyway to recover the craft ? I bought my EVO II PRO V2RTK in November 2022. Mine is still under warranty, however I haven't had any issues with communication on the Smart Controller 7.9". It is really bright in direct sunlight. I like the big controller because of my eyesight. In my area, we have a lot of pines/hardwoods and I've been getting about 3/4 mile for range. It's mostly flat here with a few hills, but I'm not flying beyond line of sight. I don't have any issues with the package I got but it was shipped with the standard controller too, why I don't know. I would have liked to have had two extra batteries instead, but I've got 6 now with approx 3 hours flight time if needed.

My system has been very stable; app version 1.0.94 on the controller. I really haven't checked on any of the intelligent photo modes. Most of my flying has been in manual mode except for the two mapping missions I've done. I'm real satisfied with mine.

I'd had planned on purchasing another EVO V3 as backup, but with all the issues I've read about I don't think I will unless they're fixed. I'm still learning all the flight parameters with the unit. My goal is to get my part 107 as soon as possible. It's not as easy as I thought it would be but I'm gonna need it to do any commercial work.

Hopefully if the funds are there, I'm moving up to a UAV with LIDAR. That's what would benefit us the most.

I wish I could suggest a UAV for you but I'm fairly new to all of this, but it's fun learning again in my old age.

Damn ! I'm sorry you lost your V2. Is there anyway to recover the craft ? I bought my EVO II PRO V2RTK in November 2022. Mine is still under warranty, however I haven't had any issues with communication on the Smart Controller 7.9". It is really bright in direct sunlight. I like the big controller because of my eyesight. In my area, we have a lot of pines/hardwoods and I've been getting about 3/4 mile for range. It's mostly flat here with a few hills, but I'm not flying beyond line of sight. I don't have any issues with the package I got but it was shipped with the standard controller too, why I don't know. I would have liked to have had two extra batteries instead, but I've got 6 now with approx 3 hours flight time if needed.

My system has been very stable; app version 1.0.94 on the controller. I really haven't checked on any of the intelligent photo modes. Most of my flying has been in manual mode except for the two mapping missions I've done. I'm real satisfied with mine.

I'd had planned on purchasing another EVO V3 as backup, but with all the issues I've read about I don't think I will unless they're fixed. I'm still learning all the flight parameters with the unit. My goal is to get my part 107 as soon as possible. It's not as easy as I thought it would be but I'm gonna need it to do any commercial work.

Hopefully if the funds are there, I'm moving up to a UAV with LIDAR. That's what would benefit us the most.

I wish I could suggest a UAV for you but I'm fairly new to all of this, but it's fun learning again in my old age.
Thanks. I am relatively new at this myself.

The drone is not easily accessible and not worth getting hurt over especially since I am sure it was seriously damaged. It is still under warranty and insured so I think I am ok. I may switch to DJI but I am uncomfortable with their unpredictable geofencing.

I have not yet heard from Autel about the Warranty claim. I should hear back from them. Why did you get the RTK? Why not DJI? I will have the option of getting another V2 or 30 percent off any Autel drone package from a dealer. I am thinking of switching to DJI but I live in the DC area which is a problem.

I'm in the land surveying business, been licensed since 1986. My brother and I having been running the business our dad started in 1972. We both were raised up in the business since mid teens and my dad was always buying the latest software/ hardware we could afford. We started using GPS in the late 80's with Trimble's first suitcase size receivers, antenna's were about 2' square and the units were powered by car batteries. Our first project using them was providing about 40 GCP's for a local mining company for their photogrammetrists . The project paid for the receivers (3 @ 30k each). My dad was a private pilot also and his goal was to get into photogrammetry but a heart attack killed his pilots license.

Ever since day one, we've been basically on the leading edge of technology in our field and photogrammetry has always been in the back of my mind. I'd been looking at UAV 's for the past two years and I was impressed with Autel Evo's so I bought one on my 65th birthday for myself. I looked at DJI but was hesitant due to their flight restriction areas ( which is great for dummies), but also the issue with data going back to China.

From reading and researching Autel, it's my understanding that COVID caused most of Autel's problems with the lack of availability of electronics (i.e. different versions of the EVO) and their support issues. I've had great compliments from people seeing me flying with the EVO and also favorable reviews from people that currently own them. In fact, once I get my part 107 I'm seriously buying another V3 or the EVO Max. If the Max turns out to be what they say it will, it'll be an excellent mid grade mapping UAV for the price but who knows.

I like my EVO V2 RTK, no problems at all. I think those that complain may have had serious issues with their UAV's but overall it appears Autel 's support is improving since I bought mine in 11/22. I'm enjoying learning flying/mapping and processing with AgiSoft Metashape. It's some powerful software for the price. I've been using/learning on the software about 3 months now and it's really fun seeing the results. I've been practicing on a 14 acre cutover site I flew in March. I've got about 7 iterations of the same site just learning the in/outs of Metashape.

If it was me looking for another UAV, as I've said above, I would go with Autel. I think they are finally realizing and listening to their customers. This is my first UAV,...I bought it for learning something new that will benefit our business. I have high hopes for Autel.

Last edited:
I'm in the land surveying business, been licensed since 1986. My brother and I having been running the business our dad started in 1972. We both were raised up in the business since mid teens and my dad was always buying the latest software/ hardware we could afford. We started using GPS in the late 80's with Trimble's first suitcase size receivers, antenna's were about 2' square and the units were powered by car batteries. Our first project using them was providing about 40 GCP's for a local mining company for their photogrammetrists . The project paid for the receivers (3 @ 30k each). My dad was a private pilot also and his goal was to get into photogrammetry but a heart attack killed his pilots license.

Ever since day one, we've been basically on the leading edge of technology in our field and photogrammetry has always been in the back of my mind. I'd been looking at UAV 's for the past two years and I was impressed with Autel Evo's so I bought one on my 65th birthday for myself. I looked at DJI but was hesitant due to their flight restriction areas ( which is great for dummies), but also the issue with data going back to China.

From reading and researching Autel, it's my understanding that COVID caused most of Autel's problems with the lack of availability of electronics (i.e. different versions of the EVO) and their support issues. I've had great compliments from people seeing me flying with the EVO and also favorable reviews from people that currently own them. In fact, once I get my part 107 I'm seriously buying another V3 or the EVO Max. If the Max turns out to be what they say it will, it'll be an excellent mid grade mapping UAV for the price but who knows.

I like my EVO V2 RTK, no problems at all. I think those that complain may have had serious issues with their UAV's but overall it appears Autel 's support is improving since I bought mine in 11/22. I'm enjoying learning flying/mapping and processing with AgiSoft Metashape. It's some powerful software for the price. I've been using/learning on the software about 3 months now and it's really fun seeing the results. I've been practicing on a 14 acre cutover site I flew in March. I've got about 7 iterations of the same site just learning the in/outs of Metashape.

If it was me looking for another UAV, as I've said above, I would go with Autel. I think they are finally realizing and listening to their customers. This is my first UAV,...I bought it for learning something new that will benefit our business. I have high hopes for Autel.
Thank you for this informative and interesting reply. I have experimented with mapping using a Drone Deploy free trial. It gave me a finished map with a scale in pdf form! Agisoft is under a hundred dollars for a regular liscense. I wonder what you get for that. Is it easy to overlay over Google maps?

Ken Booth who used to work for Autel told me to run away from Autel ASAP. They just approved a warranty replacement... But what good is a V2 without RID?

I am thinking of upgrading to a V3.

Reactions: EBEPLS
I kinda looked at Drone Deploy, Pix4D and open source but when I saw Metashape I was fascinated by it's capabilities. Also the reviews were pretty good and reviewing their support/forum, I knew it was what I needed to get started. Dave Pitman on here and Emlid forums recommended it. Just briefly messaging Dave, he uses it for volume computations and he went over some of the basic capabilities with it. I think the cost for the pro version I got was very reasonable for what it can do.

I flew a timber cutover back in March and it was the first time I created a mission and was impressed with the EVO V2 RTK. There was no manual as you probably know but it was kinda intuitive creating the mission, setting parameters, etc. I liked what it did and produced. I haven't flown any other missions since because I want to get familiar with Metashape using that data. I've done about 8 iterations with the site just learning the software and it's pretty easy once you read the tutorials. My 3 year old W8 workstation is handling the processing requirements pretty well. I don't have any experience with photogrammetry except what I had in college 45 years ago... I still have a couple of books from then I've used for reference.

There's a couple of roadblocks I've encountered using the software... one is trying to understand Metashape's methodology of converting and exporting the dem/ortho to another datum/projection system but I'll figure it out.

It'll probably be at least a year maybe before I upgrade to a newer UAV. Maybe the Evo Max. Photogrammetry is good for us using large clear sites, volumes and planemetric mapping, but I'm eventually wanting a LIDAR capable UAV, this would be excellent for undeveloped wooded sites. I'm hoping for a large project to pay for it.

It's just fun learning new stuff, software and equipment. That's what has kept me going in our profession... exciting new toys to play with !

Reactions: Limewood
Yesterday I lost my E2P V2. I lost signal at 360 foot altitude and only 1700 foot distance. The drone is insured.

I am thinking about getting the V3 because I still have the controller and lots of batteries and accessories but I have been reading about the problems... Not to mention the absolutely disgraceful customer service.

I live on the edge of the DC SFRA and DJI geofencing is inaccurate which is why I want with Autel.

Questions:

1) Can the V3 be used with the V2 controller or type of controller or only with the Smart Controller. The V2 was better controlled with duel stability and I think it was called precision mode... something like that...and these are now missing.

2) How about the signal loss issue which seems to have happened to others with the V2...is the V3 any better?

3) Are any other iterations like the Enterprise model any better? I could not read the display on the controller that someone posted. Does the Enterprise model have the missing flight modes?

4) Hoe about the Mission side of things. Are they the same as the V2?

Finally, I would like to hear anything good or bad about your experiences so I can figure out what to do.

Thanks
My understanding it that the V2 and V3 use a different chip. That being said, I don't think the Smart Controller SE is compatable with the V2, but I could be wrong. This video may be of help to you.

Thank you for this informative and interesting reply. I have experimented with mapping using a Drone Deploy free trial. It gave me a finished map with a scale in pdf form! Agisoft is under a hundred dollars for a regular liscense. I wonder what you get for that. Is it easy to overlay over Google maps?

Ken Booth who used to work for Autel told me to run away from Autel ASAP. They just approved a warranty replacement... But what good is a V2 without RID?

I am thinking of upgrading to a V3.
The RID module for the V2 is around 80 to 90 dollars.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RonalsBerigon310