Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Dynamic track did not follow up dirt hill

tlamb2

Reaction score
I am a new Evo owner and was at my brother's ranch and tried the dynamic track for the first time. We were in his Rhino and it was following then we went up a hill and the drone kept going lower until it was 2 feet off the ground then it landed saying minimum flight height too low. It was like it could not tell the height when going up a 30-foot hill has anyone else experienced this.

I am a new Evo owner and was at my brother's ranch and tried the dynamic track for the first time. We were in his Rhino and it was following then we went up a hill and the drone kept going lower until it was 2 feet off the ground then it landed saying minimum flight height too low. It was like it could not tell the height when going up a 30-foot hill has anyone else experienced this.

Yep... It's supposed to be addressed down the road, but is not a feature yet! Not so dynamic, more like basic tracking. I never noticed because it's flat where I live.

Does the inverse also hold true? If you launch from a hilltop and then travel downhill, does the EVO then follow you down or is it unable to descend below its takeoff height? Logic says it would stay high.

Autel might know how to make it work but they also might have to jump through some hoops to use it. They don't want to get sued again by any other manufacture.
The Parrot Anafi is an excellent Follow drone using patented technology including hybrid GPS/Optical tracking which uses both VPS and a barometer for altitude control. This is very dependent on a solid device GPS signal and an accurate barometer.
The Anafi controls X, Y and Z in Follow using unique algorithms. Going behind an obstruction is not critical like Active Track because GPS will carry you through, no predictive trajectory nonsense here like DJI or others.

Sadly, the Anafi's camera isn't good enough for me. No point in being able to jump through XYZ hoops if the images don't make you happy.

But the EVO can use OA to unilaterally climb above obstacles so it shouldn't be beyond them to rise above the ground.

The Typhoon H Plus camera spec is better than the EVO too but it produces inferior images to the EVO imho (although not a matter of opinion when it comes to the in-camera JPEGs).

How the EVO does it, I don't know. Maybe it's just down to the engineers who set up their camera actually understanding digital imaging rather than just throwing together components and algorithms which should work. Maybe the others all copy each other's algorithms and errors while the EVO people started from scratch.

But somehow the EVO's image quality is better than any other drone camera in the sub-£2k bracket, including those with a higher spec.

Reactions: Hysteresis

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chen