Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Do I really need the “Pro” ?

Just using this for “fun flying.” Not looking to make a movie or for professional work. :)

Is there any reason I need the 6K Pro version vs. the lower cost 8K version?

I wouldn't hesitate to get the 8K version if this is just a hobby. If your final planned display medium is social media you really don't need the Pro. Of course I doubt anyone actually does this, but you could even get the 8K now and if you decide you want the 6K later you can just switch out the camera.

The only way to truly get the most out of the 6K anyway is to shoot RAW and post process it to maximize the DR. For video you would need to shoot ALOG and properly color grade it in a Rec.709 color space and shoot in 10bit to get the most out of the sensor for video. If you don't plan on doing either...the 6K's footage will probably look pretty identical to the 8K's on smaller mediums like social media platforms.

none at all really in your case
Biggest advantage in simple terms is the bigger sensor and better low light photography. If that doesn't interest you then no need

none at all really in your case
Biggest advantage in simple terms is the bigger sensor and better low light photography. If that doesn't interest you then no need

And even for low light, if you do not shoot RAW and properly develop the image it will look no different from the 8K....but when you do it can produce some pretty amazing footage for such as small platform.

Project-04042021-TPAV-TampaDowntown (2).jpg

For fun flying, just get the 8K. This comes off very demeaning, but it's not supposed to be by any means, but we typically say amongst our team is that if someone does not know if they need the 8K or 6K, then the 8K is most often perfectly fine. Sensor size doesn't mean much to a guy or gal just looking to fly, have fun, and grab good pictures. We obviously like to educate on what a larger sensor really provides, but "fun flying" doesn't need a 1" sensor. :D

For fun flying, just get the 8K. This comes off very demeaning, but it's not supposed to be by any means, but we typically say amongst our team is that if someone does not know if they need the 8K or 6K, then the 8K is most often perfectly fine. Sensor size doesn't mean much to a guy or gal just looking to fly, have fun, and grab good pictures. We obviously like to educate on what a larger sensor really provides, but "fun flying" doesn't need a 1" sensor. :D

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. :)

Reactions: advexure
the only problem with getting the 8k is after time passes and you start to do a little bit more than just "fun flying" you learn about this awesome 6k and start to have second thoughts. then you start to look at this "interchangeable" camera and the prices before you realize that's not so cool. get the drone that you can most afford now. reminds me of the old days about automobiles and options: sunroof/no sunroof, CD player/no CD player, navigation/no navigation. finally when you changed your mind and wanted it, there was always a fair amount of "cutting" and wrenching involved. :)

Reactions: Retired In FL
the only problem with getting the 8k is after time passes and you start to do a little bit more than just "fun flying" you learn about this awesome 6k and start to have second thoughts. then you start to look at this "interchangeable" camera and the prices before you realize that's not so cool. get the drone that you can most afford now. reminds me of the old days about automobiles and options: sunroof/no sunroof, CD player/no CD player, navigation/no navigation. finally when you changed your mind and wanted it, there was always a fair amount of "cutting" and wrenching involved. :)
At my age, don't have that much time to let pass! :D I'd prefer the extra battery & multi-battery charger over the $300 for the 6K. The only reason I may regret it is because I always like to have "the best" whether I can afford it or not!

The only way to truly get the most out of the 6K anyway is to shoot RAW and post process it to maximize the DR. For video you would need to shoot ALOG and properly color grade it in a Rec.709 color space and shoot in 10bit to get the most out of the sensor for video. If you don't plan on doing either...the 6K's footage will probably look pretty identical to the 8K's on smaller mediums like social media platforms.

YEA! What he said !!!! Haven't checked my Rec.709 color space recently. Must be out of room! :D :D

Reactions: Rubik3x
Just using this for “fun flying.” Not looking to make a movie or for professional work. :)

Is there any reason I need the 6K Pro version vs. the lower cost 8K version?
Not unless you like flying at night. The 6k pro is really good at low light.

There will always be a better drone than the one you have. Settle for the one that does what you want. Of course if you're swimming in money get the 6000 just so you dont have to question your decision later . Then again it wont make a difference since youll buy the one you want at that time

If you can afford the extra $300 or so, get the 6K Pro. Otoh, if its all about cost, jump on some of the current EVO II 8K sale prices while they last.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman