Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Confronted By Three Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Last Night

I have spent the past few evenings flying my E2P around Uptown Charlotte trying to get some nice dusk shots with sunsets and city lights coming on before I need to ground it with the Class B restrictions forcing me down 30 minutes after sunset.

Upon landing last evening two police officers circled in on their cycles, and a third rolled into the park in his SUV. My drone touched down just as the police arrived. Not surprisingly the questions started immediately the first of which was are you authorized to fly here? Fortunately I had checked all the boxes, not the least of which was getting laanc authorization. I showed him my text message from the FAA approving my flight. He then asked if I was aware where I couldn't fly and I told him absolutely as I had to draw out my perimeter on the Kitty Hawk app in order to get approved. I pointed out that I couldn't fly "over there" for instance because of the proximity to the hospitals. Almost immediately he said, "correct". I was a little surprised at his knowledge of the flight restriction nuances and then he told me he was a Mavic Air 2 owner and that explained it.

At that point he looked at me and said, "Congratulations, you are the first person we have confronted flying a drone around here that has actually followed all the rules!" He then pointed out that they have encountered several corporate drone pilots for the banks here, along with one of our major league sports teams (I am purposely not naming them) that had not checked any of the boxes and were totally flying illegally.

They were laughing saying I wasn't hard to track with my bottom strobe light flashing every one second. I don't think that counts as an anti-collision light, but it was another sign to them I was trying to use all the tools I had to be safe and conspicuous.

So in sum, it was a bittersweet encounter. The officers were all fantastic - truly courteous and professional. I was proud to get high marks from them, but a little sadden to hear other drone pilots are flaunting the rules and not helping to maintain a high standard for our hobby (or vocation). I'm still learning myself as there seems to be a myriad of rules and opinions on the rules, so I know I'm not perfect by any means.

Here is a sample clip from my trips these past few days! Wait for the sun! :) I hope you are able to watch it in 4K. I can't get over the quality of the H.265 10-Bit video. This is the result after VERY little color grading in Premiere Pro.

Aha, so nice my local weatherman flying UAV's! I do not fly downtown CLT but have gotten many a shot from our leafy suburbs of the downtown skyline!

Reactions: tvwxman
I have only been approached by "security" not L/E, in downtown Atlanta, when I was flying on private property. I didn't realize I was on PP but had already finished my flight. Try to stay away from people but occasionally I can't resist.

I live in the KC Metro area and was unaware of this. Well, I know where I'll be doing my next round of 1A audits at.
Please, not another idiot 1st amendment auditor? Most ignorant of all. Go get a degree in Law, and read the thousand of court decisions which are as APPLICABLE as the original 1st amendment. Then you can argue law, NOT ON THE STREET or a PO or Police station, but a COURT OF LAW.

So I'm studying for my Part 107 from UAVcoach and I just ran across this. Unless I'm not reading this correctly, this seems to indicate "Law Enforcement" does have the right to question me, any thoughts?ss.jpg

^I'll keep it brief because I'm sure nobody wants to hear a lot of talk from me. I think the ^above^ verbiage is absolutely correct. Any law enforcement can "request" to see your documentation. However, they cannot "demand" to see it. If you are willing to comply and give them consent, law enforcement is happy to start reading thru logs, reviewing your video footage, weighing your drone, inspecting it for air-worthiness, etc. A polite "no thank you" would suffice if law enforcement doesn't demand to see your details. A demand can legally be enforced using force (physical, arrest, warrant, etc) and the police know what their state laws allow them to demand (i.e. they don't take their direction from the FAA).

Can you lose your part 107 if you refuse? Probably so. I don't have a part 107 but I understand a commercial drone license may come with additional requirements and expectations. Clearly I wouldn't refuse a request from a federal law enforcement officer (FAA police, etc) but I would hate to reinforce the practice with peace officers especially when it comes to recreational pilots. Sort of like the CDL vs. the non-commercial class C motorist. City police, deputies, and state troopers are not properly trained to investigate drone pilots and even if they had the knowledge, state law and local/county ordinances do not support such activity. But I guess the FAA would love to utilize 500,000 law enforcement officers and millions of citizens nationwide to help out by giving them a phone number to call; how convenient.

Some Info As of March 16, 2021:

Part 107 RPs must show UAS registration, and Remote Pilot Certificate, and a Picture ID, to LE (and NTSB, TSA, and the Administrator) upon request.

Must have the RP certificate In Their Possession and available when they fly.

Not required to show regency of knowledge to LE, however:

Must show any document required under Part 107 to the administrator upon request.

———————————————

Recurrent Training

Recurrent testing is going away.
Recurrent training will be available 3/1/2021.
People need to understand they can’t take advantage of Night Ops or OOP until 3/16/2021.
Training needed for Night Ops.
Will cover 107.29 and 107.39 operations.
Recurrent training will also cover RID.
Will also reset the 24 month calendar.
Free and Only available at www.FAA safety.gov.

Reactions: tvwxman
^nice. but unfortunately that's not the law in my state. FAA doesn't provide legal orders to my state troopers, deputy sheriff, and city police officers. if the faa said recreational pilots must provide a blood sample and a fingerprint to police when requested, you think that's a law just because the faa said so? ntsb, tsa, faa, federal officers and administrator sure, no problem. but we cannot let 700,000 peace officers become the law enforcement arm of the faa; it's inappropriate and it's unlawful. there is no legal framework for law enforcement to implement this or enforce it unless they violate someone's rights. imagine if every time a cop saw a drone flyer he could pull up and ask for a license? if the person doesn't have one (or refuse), then what?

I get it. there will be many who say why not just show your ID and yes, I probably will. depends. somebody will have to challenge it, that's the way the justice system works.

they cannot. they just think they can. and only if you let them.

the police around here see me flying the drone and they just keep driving by. I live in a free state.

eta: I understand there are some local and state laws erected in certain places; understood.
I live near open desert and thank god that there's no one around to aggravate me!

Reactions: UasDriver

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwoody