Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Checking My Car's Lights for Inspection

Just back up against a wall and you can see all your lights to determine if all is working. Or reverse into a parking spot where there is a large shot window to reflect your light into your mirrors. Far easier than getting out a drone and flying.

Just back up against a wall and you can see all your lights to determine if all is working. Or reverse into a parking spot where there is a large shot window to reflect your light into your mirrors. Far easier than getting out a drone and flying.
Nah. The nearest parking space with a window like that is about 40 miles away. Getting the drone flying takes about three minutes when everything is in one place.

2.jpg

Richard

or borrow your partner's phone for Zoom, Facetime, Skype. but the big advantage i love using the drone is checking head and fog beam coverage when I am testing LED and HID modifications. drone use is wonderful for that

or borrow your partner's phone for Zoom, Facetime, Skype. but the big advantage i love using the drone is checking head and fog beam coverage when I am testing LED and HID modifications. drone use is wonderful for that
got a part 107 for that? lol

see that's the part I don't like. I know it's a grey area but technically, if you are not flying for fun (and checking on vehicle lighting is not recreational) then you need a part 107 if your activity requires a drone. but if you activity requires a GoPro camera or a computer camera or a mobile phone, no government license is needed.

not a fan but I understand the rules.

got a part 107 for that? lol

see that's the part I don't like. I know it's a grey area but technically, if you are not flying for fun (and checking on vehicle lighting is not recreational) then you need a part 107 if your activity requires a drone. but if you activity requires a GoPro camera or a computer camera or a mobile phone, no government license is needed.

not a fan but I understand the rules.
It is a bit on the absurd side. Without Part 107, a person technically can't use a drone to inspect the rain gutters of their own home, or check the roof of their SUV for dents after a hailstorm.

That's because technically speaking, anyone who flies a drone for any reason needs Part 107. The 49 U.S.C. § 44809 exception is just that -- an exemption for flights conducted "strictly for recreational purposes." It also requires adherence to "a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines." I doubt any of the CBO's have guidelines for recreational rain gutter inspections.

Fortunately for non-107 pilots, FAA has a long history of not wasting time investigating nonsense. Part 107 or no Part 107, I doubt anyone will be hearing from their friendly neighborhood FSDO because they used their drone as an expensive inspection mirror to complete a personal chore. But in theory, it could happen.

Richard

It is a bit on the absurd side. Without Part 107, a person technically can't use a drone to inspect the rain gutters of their own home, or check the roof of their SUV for dents after a hailstorm.

That's because technically speaking, anyone who flies a drone for any reason needs Part 107. The 49 U.S.C. § 44809 exception is just that -- an exemption for flights conducted "strictly for recreational purposes." It also requires adherence to "a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines." I doubt any of the CBO's have guidelines for recreational rain gutter inspections.

Fortunately for non-107 pilots, FAA has a long history of not wasting time investigating nonsense. Part 107 or no Part 107, I doubt anyone will be hearing from their friendly neighborhood FSDO because they used their drone as an expensive inspection mirror to complete a personal chore. But in theory, it could happen.

Richard
I agree and I think it is absurd as well. I really wish they would emphasize the "promoting a business" part as well and that way if at all possible, whatever you are doing (whether for profit or not, whether you get paid or not, etc) as long as you don't have an inking of commercial activity.....I guess we should fall in line and get part 107. :)

I agree and I think it is absurd as well. I really wish they would emphasize the "promoting a business" part as well and that way if at all possible, whatever you are doing (whether for profit or not, whether you get paid or not, etc) as long as you don't have an inking of commercial activity.....I guess we should fall in line and get part 107. :)
It's not a bad thing to have in any case. Hobbies often become professions, sometimes accidentally.

That was actually how I first got into IT. My original training was in aviation maintenance / avionics. But I started fixing computers on the side in the 1990's; and before I knew it, I was a business. So I made the company legal, got some certifications, hired some employees, and ran it for ten years.

I sold it when the old lady and I split up. I wanted to move before she changed her mind.

A lot of recreational flyers take phenomenal pictures and videos, and could easily make a career of it. I think they should get certificated, not only to make their YouTube stuff legal, but so they can accept the inevitable offers for paid work that will come along.

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg