Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Brushless Motor Failures

Trox

Reaction score
I'll bet a majority of drone owners started out with "toy" drones with brushed motors. And as we all experienced, you needed to keep a supply of spare motors on hand to replace those that eventually gave up the ghost and failed. Just one of those aircraft maintenance things pilots accepted. I have a shelf full of bags of spare motors for various toys.

Along came Brushless Motors. And even though I have read a few thousand posts and comments and responses on a number of drone related forums I have not come across anyone mentioning a brushless prop motor failing. All things fail or wear out eventually if they are used frequently enough. But yet, no one has documented in writing a lost or crashed drone from a motor failure. Or perhaps the final analysis of such an event didn't consider a motor failure as the true cause. I still wonder about Barney's drone loss in the lake down in Australia while he was flying in ludicrous mode on his return leg home. There was no warning, just dropped off the radar.

I have to say I am very impressed with the technology's reliability and that in itself gives me more and more confidence to fly my aircraft a bit further each time I need more range OR when I'm flying over water where a failure means a total loss. Oh crap, knock on wood!!

Has anyone experienced a brushless motor failure or know of an actual case? I don't see any drone manufacturer offering motors as a consumable replacement part for their products.

The probability of a brushless motor failing on you is rather low. The motors will most likely outlast your drone. What could have happened is one of the wires that gave power was poorly soldered and gave way due to vibrations. That could be a more likely and probable cause of a motor failure, than the actual motor failing. Another thing that I've seen many times is a propeller failure. Either what holds them fails or one of the sides just breaks apart, sending the drone into a spin. The possibilities of what happened to him are so many, but I can tell you that the one thing that probably didn't fail was the brushless motor.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo