Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel EVO II Dual FLIR 640T/R Thermal Camera - Detecting/ Visualizing Gas Leaks

Malli35998

Reaction score
Website
www.raptoraerialservices.com
I am using the Autel EVO II Dual FLIR 640R Thermal IR Camera to photograph oil & gas storage tanks. I am also using this camera for thermal IR mapping surveys. Both applications are using temperature contrast to visualize results. Can these FLIR thermal cameras be used to detect/visualize gas (methane, others) leaks? I have read that optical gas imaging (OGI) cameras are more appropriate for detecting/visualizing gas leaks. Has anyone had any experience with using the Autel EVO II Dual FLIR 640T or 640R to detect/visualize gas leaks such as methane gas? Another couple of questions. Can you attach external filters to the Dual thermal IR camera? If so, where can you purchase the filters?

Last edited:
Reactions: jmason702
Interesting question. 👍

If the leaking gas is at low temp then it will be difficult to detect, unless you adjust for change in gaseous density either on the camera or post processing. Thinking on the fly, a leaking gas will result in isotherms and a measurable temp change, so using post processing in your software seems the obvious method.

One of my mates attached a battery gas sensor to his drone which recorded gas content, He then synced the gas data with his video to get the location. He did find a gas leak, eventually.

Not sure about the filters making a difference but am sure there's a filter out there that will help you.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles