Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

A Sunday drive to the country town of Pahoa, Hawaii

HiloHawaiian

Reaction score
A quiet Sunday drive to Pahoa, Hawaii on July 22, 2018. The road to Kalapana was just re-opened, but Leilani Estates was closed to permitted residents only. It's an eerie drive, much of the foliage is dying, the gas fumes are strong. Getting out of your car and hiking up a hill for a better look will get you arrested, if you don't faint from the fumes first. You can drive much closer to fissure #8 than I thought possible, on an old single lane road. Fissure 8 has been erupting non-stop for 2 1/2 months spewing 20X the volume of lava compared to the last big fissure eruption that buried Kalapana in 1990. I was parked, thinking about trying to launch my XSP closer to the action, when a Humvee drove by with guys in uniform, reminding me of the consequences... I read in the paper eight were arrested Sunday--with a drone confiscated, and hefty fines. I only flew my drone outside the 5 mile no-fly zone (footage at the end).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bace14
Crazy, Mother Nature is showing us who's boss! Thanks for sharing. Hope all is well Hilo and stay safe.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I’m fine, ty. This is such a remote area, I’d never know there was an eruption at all w/o all the civil defense warnings about going out to the Hawaiian Hinterlands. Can’t see or smell anything from 30 miles away in Hilo, it’s actually a very small fissure fountain, but the volume of lava has been incredible. My fav part of the island just got a natural makeover!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben648691