Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Geo Fencing Coming To Autel In Conflict Regions

While I agree with your premise, anyone who is receiving any airspace warnings already has installed GEO maps. Very old Autel drones without any airspace warnings during flight are still safe, as long as they are properly sandboxed.

However, as others have pointed out, you must also have a dedicated sandboxed tablet for your drone, on which neither the OS nor the flying app can be updated. Updating either the tablet OS or the Autel flying app can create a FW incompatibility with the drone that will force updating the drone FW to be able to continue to fly with that tablet.

Lots of gotcha's along the way!
You mean you don't use a dedicated tablet not connected to the Internet? Wow!

You're really missing out. Smart people learned to do this years ago. Buy hey, you do you.

You're really missing out. Smart people learned to do this years ago. Buy hey, you do you.
Most don't understand the need for it, as you and I do. Most also don't dedicate a sandboxed tablet to each drone, as they should, to maintain full user control for the life of thecdrone. However, doing so also gives up map access.

Most don't understand the need for it, as you and I do. Most also don't dedicate a sandboxed tablet to each drone, as they should, to maintain full user control for the life of thecdrone. However, doing so also gives up map access.
I use the same tablet for all my drones. A Tripltek 8P. Works great. No Internet unless I want it to connect.
I'm not some kind of know-it-all. I just figured out what works best years ago.

The problem with DJI is every time an update is done, it wants to connect to the Internet to login the next time I use that particular DJI drone. That's the part I hate about the control freaks at DJI. I don't have that issue with the 3 Autel drones I have because if they are working right, I simply don't update them again. No need to.

Thank you for understanding. :)

Reactions: G_G

To ensure that Autel Robotics products and services are not used in violent conflicts, no-fly zones have been established for sensitive areas, including: all of Palestine, all of Israel, all of Russia, all of Ukraine, all of Myanmar,Taiwan, Aruna Char Region, Kashmir Region.
Then why is Australia a no fly zone?

I would just like to chime in and say that if you have an Evo 1 or 2 with the standard controller , you do not even need a phone or tablet to fly so that way there is absolutely no way those geo fenced maps that some people are talking about are stored in the controller. :)

Reactions: G_G and Eagle928
I would just like to chime in and say that if you have an Evo 1 or 2 with the standard controller , you do not even need a phone or tablet to fly so that way there is absolutely no way those geo fenced maps that some people are talking about are stored in the controller. :)
Good to know, but without a camera view, it's just a drone carrying an uncontrollable camera payload, instead of a camera drone with FPV. Might as well attach a GoPro to a drone, like in the very early days.

Good to know, but without a camera view, it's just a drone carrying an uncontrollable camera payload, instead of a camera drone with FPV. Might as well attach a GoPro to a drone, like in the very early days.
The controller does have a camera view, that is one of the reasons why I bought an Evo 1. autel-evo-drone-review-dji-screen.jpg

Reactions: Eagle928
These are all horribly unacceptable sacrifices with major loss of required functionality that do not in any way make it ok.

Everything you can do with the tablet that you cannot do with the controller. I'm not going to make a bullet point list of things to entertain this silliness because I think it's well understood. The controller screen is good for a limited contingency if the tablet fails.

I beg to differ , time is very important, and I was able to catch this double rainbow because of the ability to take off really quickly , if I would have taken the time to connect my phone I would have missed this opportunity.

I beg to differ , time is very important, and I was able to catch this double rainbow because of the ability to take off really quickly , if I would have taken the time to connect my phone I would have missed this opportunity.
Unfortunate that you didn't also have an Evo 2 with the 30° gimbal elevation capability for that awesome double rainbow. I remember that silly 0° maximum gimbal elevation from horizontal on the Evo 1. They should at least have been able to add some gimbal elevation when in a hover, when the forward pitch in flight clearly supports gimbal elevation for the camera to remain level. Fortunately, they added that essential capability on the gimbal on the Evo 2!

You also can't create spherical panos without gimbal elevation!

Reactions: Madhungarian
I would consider that a limited contingency and it was "good enough" to get a picture of that rainbow. Doesn't change that all the functionality from the tablet/app was not available to you.

Guys, nobody that is spending $1500-$2000 on equipment is going find it totally acceptable to only use a very limited subset of functionality on a tiny screen, sacrificing so much important and advanced important stuff. There's a time and place for using that screen, like what you did with the rainbow, or when the tablet fails. Abnormal contingencies as a backup. But suggesting all this geofencing is totally not a problem because of the built in screen or by permanently air gapping is just nor reasonable. Great if you find yourself stuck in an unforseen circumstances, but not a reasonable status quo.

Reactions: Madhungarian
Unfortunate that you didn't also have an Evo 2 with the 30° gimbal elevation capability for that awesome double rainbow. I remember that silly 0° maximum gimbal elevation from horizontal on the Evo 1. They should at least have been able to add some gimbal elevation when in a hover, when the forward pitch in flight clearly supports gimbal elevation for the camera to remain level. Fortunately, they added that essential capability on the gimbal on the Evo 2!

You also can't create spherical panos without gimbal elevation!
Yes! Your so right, you know I emailed Autel back in the day asking to make this possible with the Evo1 since the camera obviously can do it, you can see this during the calibration start up of the drone.

Yes! Your so right, you know I emailed Autel back in the day asking to make this possible with the Evo1 since the camera obviously can do it, you can see this during the calibration start up of the drone.
Even though the gimbal range of motion has to include elevation above level for forward flight when the aircraft is pitched forward to keep the horizon in view, the problem is that giving the user independent control over that upward gimbal elevation will cause the top of the drone to be visible if used in any type of forward flight. Only when hovering in windless conditions where the drone is perfectly level at all times would upward user control over the gimbal elevation not show the top of the drone. The Evo 1 drone has too much of the drone sticking out directly above the camera, unlike the Evo 2.

Update or not, I was geofenced in Australia, and Autel's support was non-existent in getting it cleared for flight. The Evo Max N, which was supposed to be used in a demonstration for crocodile biologists from around the world, couldn't even take off. Autel's complete lack of assistance and their two-day response time not only cost me thousands of dollars in wasted travel but also left me feeling abandoned in my attempt to promote Autel equipment to the conservation community, leading to a sense of deep frustration and embarrassment. The best they could do was offer shallow discounts on my next purchase of any Autel equipment. Why would I want to spend more money buying Autel equipment?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert