Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

V1 or V2 extended range antennas?

Dale EVO 2 V2

Reaction score
If someone has this V1 or V2 Autel EVO 2 smart controller I was wondering if they have had issues with range and was wondering if they have used after market extended range antennas?

I have a V2 smart controller on order and was wondering if they have these accessories out for the V1 orV2 antennas out as of yet?

I think everyone would like to go farther(25 miles?) and longer(90 minutes?) with their quad. Regards............Dale from Ontario, Canada.
Autel-Smart-Controller_5_500x.jpg

Reactions: edgardcafe

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the EVO II is limited in range to a maximum of about 10 miles and that is if it's a one way trip; 5 miles if its a roundtrip. It is physically impossible to fly 25 miles even in absolutely perfect conditions with the EVO II due to battery life limitations. I have flown over open ocean 100AGL with absolutely no interference and was only able to achieve 5 miles out and back and land with 10% battery remaining.

So the stock controller is more than sufficient to get the maximum range out of the EVO II; where improved transmission power and antennas come into play is when you are flying in less than ideal situations such as highly congested areas where you will be lucky to get 1000' with the stock controller. In those situations an antenna mod could possibly be beneficial. For me personally in over 14yrs of flying for commercial projects; I've never needed anything but the stock controller and stock antennas to complete the project.

Can't speak for the V2 version, but the range on the V1 SC was no better than the stock controller, and replacing the rabbit ears with external amped antennas did not improve its range at all. Don't buy it for improved range.

Reactions: herein2021
Can't speak for the V2 version, but the range on the V1 SC was no better than the stock controller, and replacing the rabbit ears with external amped antennas did not improve its range at all. Don't buy it for improved range.
You just confirmed what I already suspected....just another piece of marketing hype. There are FCC regulations controlling the amount of output wattage these controllers can put out; I didn't see how a different controller would improve that; DJI got around it by developing a whole new transmission system but Autel was advertising increased range just by changing the controller.

I still think there's only a slim chance the V2 will have longer range or better congested airwaves handling but I suspect not.

Reactions: G_G
Ok. Thanks.

You just confirmed what I already suspected....just another piece of marketing hype. There are FCC regulations controlling the amount of output wattage these controllers can put out; I didn't see how a different controller would improve that; DJI got around it by developing a whole new transmission system but Autel was advertising increased range just by changing the controller.

I still think there's only a slim chance the V2 will have longer range or better congested airwaves handling but I suspect not.
Had Autel actually included the 5.8Ghz frequency in the V1 SC in the U.S. like they represented, or even a functioning 900Mhz band, it would likely have been better. I returned my SC. The V2 SC claims to now actually have a working 5.8Ghz band. Rather than throw good money after bad on a new V2 EVO 2 and V2 SC, I opted to add an Alientech Pro to the stock EVO 2 V1 controller instead. It arrives today.

Had Autel actually included the 5.8Ghz frequency in the V1 SC in the U.S. like they represented, or even a functioning 900Mhz band, it would likely have been better. I returned my SC. The V2 SC claims to now actually have a working 5.8Ghz band. Rather than throw good money after bad on a new V2 EVO 2 and V2 SC, I opted to add an Alientech Pro to the stock EVO 2 V1 controller instead. It arrives today.
My experience has been the same. The SC has no better and oftentimes worse range than the stock controller. Just my 2 cents.

I am not sure how having 5.8ghz on V1 was ever going to help if the V1 Chipset on the drone didn't support it, but I may be missing some detail on that chipset, I'll readily admit 😉

V2 does indeed support 5.8ghz in addition to 2.4 ghz and offers an "Auto" dual band (switching) mode that at first was not switching as well as Occusync does, then somehow got better, and substantially so, without a FW update... hmmm, Not too scientific, yet it's absolutely true in my experience as I spent WEEKS testing the standard controller on long jaunts) 2 miles+ and constantly checking band switching events. The disappointment was the observation that it was holding 5.8 too long, degrading, disconnecting and initiating RTH events. Also, if I manually switched bands, or forgot to select auto (you must select it every restart of the app or controller) and switched to auto during flight it would switch too slowly and do a failsafe RTH.

Then the V2 Smart Controller finally was in my hands 9 weeks after pre-order... my V2 SC is giving noticeably enhanced range of 10-40% over time on average around 25% -it was 2000-3000 feet, now seeing 2500-3800. Same places Measuring average of 10 flights in star pattern from set home point to specific end points under varying conditions. I also do a wide orbit at increasing larger distances from identical homepoint.

You can also flip between 2.4, 5.8 and auto without a disconnect - it switches instantly without issue. It may get further tuning going forward but it's definitely better than stock controller dual band performance in my experience. Now if the Android version if Autel Explorer could get some love, things would be looking up!

It's not lab perfect conditions, but that's what I want to test. Life isn't lab consistent either. 🙃

Last edited:
I have found those antennas online. Does anyone know if will work with the Smart Controller V2 version? Will it do a better ranger ?

Attachments

• AC68DBD7-BACE-40C9-B2BC-354DF11C32B9.png
    AC68DBD7-BACE-40C9-B2BC-354DF11C32B9.png
    707.2 KB · Views: 23
My concern is these have RP-SMA connections. These will not mount directly- RP Means reverse polarity. I have found dozens of antennas with these (it's a female connection) -we require a male SMA. You can get barrel adapters but I don't know if the will fit as the connections on the SC are recessed. It's probably not a great idea to be adding adapters to mount antennas when you can just buy the correct ones to begin with. That recess is a pain - If you have to dremmel the nut to make stuff fit- I wish Autel had just made them extend from the Controller top surface.

My concern is these have RP-SMA connections. These will not mount directly- RP Means reverse polarity. I have found dozens of antennas with these (it's a female connection) -we require a male SMA. You can get barrel adapters but I don't know if the will fit as the connections on the SC are recessed. It's probably not a great idea to be adding adapters to mount antennas when you can just buy the correct ones to begin with. That recess is a pain - If you have to dremmel the nut to make stuff fit- I wish Autel had just made them extend from the Controller top surface.
I don't know which are "these" but the link I provided are not RP-SMA, they're SMA so that part fits.
And yea, I'm sure Autel could have made the housing bigger, but they maybe didn't want to provide that kind of access... Their antenna's are non-standard outer diameter.

If you didn't care about warranty, the housing is the first thing to change with a plastic reamer. I'm sure it's neither functional nor structural and it's the only think preventing normal antenna options from fitting.

The part that gets me is they provided a sub-standard antenna, with an upgradable option, and then made it hard to upgrade.
With DJI stuff they don't even make it so you can upgrade without tearing the whole controller apart.

I am not sure how having 5.8ghz on V1 was ever going to help if the V1 Chipset on the drone didn't support it, but I may be missing some detail on that chipset, I'll readily admit 😉

V2 does indeed support 5.8ghz in addition to 2.4 ghz and offers an "Auto" dual band (switching) mode that at first was not switching as well as Occusync does, then somehow got better, and substantially so, without a FW update... hmmm, Not too scientific, yet it's absolutely true in my experience as I spent WEEKS testing the standard controller on long jaunts) 2 miles+ and constantly checking band switching events. The disappointment was the observation that it was holding 5.8 too long, degrading, disconnecting and initiating RTH events. Also, if I manually switched bands, or forgot to select auto (you must select it every restart of the app or controller) and switched to auto during flight it would switch too slowly and do a failsafe RTH.

Then the V2 Smart Controller finally was in my hands 9 weeks after pre-order... my V2 SC is giving noticeably enhanced range of 10-40% over time on average around 25% -it was 2000-3000 feet, now seeing 2500-3800. Same places Measuring average of 10 flights in star pattern from set home point to specific end points under varying conditions. I also do a wide orbit at increasing larger distances from identical homepoint.

You can also flip between 2.4, 5.8 and auto without a disconnect - it switches instantly without issue. It may get further tuning going forward but it's definitely better than stock controller dual band performance in my experience. Now if the Android version if Autel Explorer could get some love, things would be looking up!

It's not lab perfect conditions, but that's what I want to test. Life isn't lab consistent either. 🙃
An Alientech Pro antenna mounted onto the stock V1 controller will easily deliver a 4 mile range, where the stock V1 controller craps out at a mile or less. I'm sure the Alientech Pro results on the stock V2 controller would be similar. Why settle for only 10-40% when you can enjoy 300% for less than half the price?

An Alientech Pro antenna mounted onto the stock V1 controller will easily deliver a 4 mile range, where the stock V1 controller craps out at a mile or less. I'm sure the Alientech Pro results on the stock V2 controller would be similar. Why settle for only 10-40% when you can enjoy 300% for less than half the price?
Because it might be difficult to hold onto being unbalanced. Same with mounting LifThor/ Monitors. My plan is to use these and put the AlienTech Duo II on the SC. Cheap it's not. It will also be quite a heavy obnoxious thing. But that's where I am probably going with my V2 SC.
SmartSelect_20211023-213618_Chrome.jpg

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
in84