Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

YouTuber Drone Pilot Fined $182,000 (Phillydronelife)

Madhungarian

Reaction score
Starts at 50 minutes, crazy, if you are monetized on Youtube better have your 107. If you have haters\trolls on your channel all they have to do is call FAA and this happens.

Reactions: TroyMich
Most social media now is just pure crap. It doesn't help that people think that they can just do whatever they want, slap monetization onto, and expect a free pass and make a few bucks off of. Think about how much money exchanged hands by stupid kids pouring ice water on each other or eating tide pods.

This has been something on my mind before and more so ever since I jumped through the hurdles of getting my license and following the rules, yet see people commercializing their recreational hobbies on platforms as such. FAA wise, one example I saw specifically was a guy flying around at night, without a waiver, saying that it was fine because it was recreational, yet still had his video monetized. The dude even went about to state that "his friend was flying under a waiver but I wasn't because I'm flying recreationally" yet he was still commercializing his video.

I had to stop watching that specific video you posted after just a couple of minutes after the 50min mark because the guy in question can't handle himself as an adult.

Last edited:
I hope that fellow gets some help, could not watch 30 seconds of him. To bad the other two that actually has some common sense had to sit there and listen to him. OriginaldoBo is still kind of a puzzle also. He should not drink on air as he can't handle his booze. The other bad thing is OriginaldoBo gets credit on his Youtube channel whether you liked the video or disliked it. Every like or dislike goes towards a hit on his channel which is money in the bank for him.

Well I did watch most of it and some of the things he was fined for was reckless flying and flying in fog. He never mentioned BVLOS but I am pretty sure that was also listed. It was over 100 violations(127?) at 1500 dollars a pop. He was saying that he's on welfare and cannot afford a lawyer since they want all the way up to 50k just to look at the case.

Reactions: verticalflyer
I hope that fellow gets some help, could not watch 30 seconds of him. To bad the other two that actually has some common sense had to sit there and listen to him. OriginaldoBo is still kind of a puzzle also. He should not drink on air as he can't handle his booze. The other bad thing is OriginaldoBo gets credit on his Youtube channel whether you liked the video or disliked it. Every like or dislike goes towards a hit on his channel which is money in the bank for him.
I know this is not a thread about OriginaldoBo but just a comment about him anyway. He does sometimes have helpful information and I admit to sometimes watching him. I appreciate him for this but...he is full of himself. Drones and alcohol do not mix...just like automobiles and alcohol do not mix. Both require responsible actions of sober folks.

Ya if you can get past the " full of himself" part he does have some good videos and I have told him that but he has this mind set "I don’t try nor care to please everyone " which is to bad as he could be a good educator if he took things more seriously.

Reactions: Lyk2fly

That's interesting that they went after videos in the live streams only. My guess is is that it's actual proof he was making money from the wreckless flying videos via live donations, with them possibly not knowing whether he was a part 107 pilot or not.

Starts at 50 minutes, crazy, if you are monetized on Youtube better have your 107. If you have haters\trolls on your channel all they have to do is call FAA and this happens.
It's hard for me to comment because I am a fan of Mickey and his PhillyDroneLife channel ...much in the way many people admit to being "fans" of NASCAR but are secretly watching in morbid fascination anticipating a horrific crash. It is also hard for me to comment because I have a monetized YouTube channel on which I post drone flight videos and anything I say may spark a fan-feud in the self-styled "YouTube Drone Community" (aka The Cool Kids Table)
I'm not a lawyer, I'm just a Part 107 certified UAV pilot with a background in paralegal services ...but Mickey seems to plead a good case for leniency due to a) FAA confused and/or non-existent public policy messaging regarding drones in general, b) constantly shifting regulation guidelines on where, when, how, etc. c) FAA inability to convey to the public and to law enforcement clear policy on punitive action and/or a definition of "reckless flight". That and Mickey's clear intention to accept responsibility and work with FAA to make reasonable compensation in lieu of being devastated by their monetary fine structure should be taken into account on his behalf.
Best of luck to my flying fool friend, Mickey from Philly.

Last edited:
Reactions: verticalflyer
Philly Drone guy deserves what he's received. What an idiot.

The FAA is a fair organization if you follow the rules of the air.
You can't stop someone from calling the FAA on you. If you have your Part 107, your bird is registered, your flight is approved or legal. You'll be commended by them for cooperating with them.

Last edited:
I find it arcanely interesting, the clown purports himself to be on welfare (government assistance) but can afford a drone. Obvious to me his priorities are misplaced. Wonder if a Bridge Card is acceptable payment for a drone?

Reactions: Deleted member 6303
I find it arcanely interesting, the clown purports himself to be on welfare (government assistance) but can afford a drone. Obvious to me his priorities are misplaced. Wonder if a Bridge Card is acceptable payment for a drone?
He has a whole bunch of drones. according to his videos, Mavic 2 pro, Mavic Air 2, Mavic mini and mini 2 and probably more. He did say that this hobby helped him stay off the drugs. There were others like milesdeep that also got contacted by the FAA but he did not get fined, probably depends on which state your in and whoever gets assigned to your case. The real idiots are the ones that take the time to report this to the FAA, they have nothing better to do.

From my understanding of his case he had multiple warnings and kept ignoring them. They finally slapped him with the fines to get his attention. Some of the people in the know say he will never get charged with the full amount but he has to acknowledge his wrong doings before that will ever happen.

Lots of snitches and people who need to mind their own business that don't today but then any FAA agent can peruse You Tube and initiate an investigation without any ancillary input as it is a public viewed medium which is why I never post anything anywhere (Face book, Twitter, You Tube, Tumbler or any public viewed medium.

People today need to mind their own wire. Sadly they don't.

Good case in point. I hold a BATFE Class 3 firearm license and a concealed carry permit and I can open carry here in this State if I desire but I never, never open carry in any urban or suburban area because if someone saw me toting a handgun on my hip, they would immediately call LE and report me as 'some crazy person' with a gun' and, by law, LE must respond to every complaint, founded or unfounded so when out and about, my handgun is concealed. Now if I'm in a rural area (like where I live) open, legal carry is commonplace. I think nothing of it, no one else does either but urbanized areas, no way. One, I don't want to be tying up LE from important duties and two, I know what would happen when the snitches snitch.

Always been my philosophy that... A polite society is an armed society.

From my understanding of his case he had multiple warnings and kept ignoring them. They finally slapped him with the fines to get his attention. Some of the people in the know say he will never get charged with the full amount but he has to acknowledge his wrong doings before that will ever happen.

I'm about 10 minutes into that video and both of them have already gone to the point of not making sense in ways of safety.

Dono saying that nothing bad happened in any of the instances of what the drone pilot in question was fined on. If the pilot in question was flying within zero or very very low visibility conditions then does it take someone causing an accident and putting a manned craft in danger of possibly causing serious harm or death to then make this relevant? Stating also that there are people that do this 9-5 and is their job. Those people then are not recreational pilots! It's not a hobby then, it's not for recreation. Are those "recreational pilots", who rely upon their 9-5 "hobby" paying taxes on the income made off of their evidently non-commercial job?

Latourette saying that part 107 pilots are wanting regulation, wanting control and only rec pilots questioning regulations is very one sided. I, personally, don't want regulation by government in any aspect of my life, period. But if I'm being held to a tougher and higher standard, one that doesn't make sense when a rec pilot can "commercialize" their hobby, then I'd rather see no regulations in place and let's just go for a free for all but that will not ever happen. Once gov gets their mitts onto something then they'll never let it go. None of this is about pitting one group against another in my eye. It's about being someone that is acting in a safe and responsible manor vs those that want to be a mavric and F everyone else. If people want to make money off possibly putting other people's lives at risk then there needs to be a much much larger discussion than drones.

In the end, flying a drone remotely or flying an airplane in the cockpit is nowhere near or close being on a bicycle. If some kid on a bicycle runs in front of me in a car then I risk hitting and killing him or swerving off the road to miss him and crashing into a tree. We're talking about, in this specific case, inanimate objects that can get into the direct impediment of an actual person in an vehicle that just may not be able to "swerve" out of the way.

I respect Latourette for his involvement in the industry but, my opinion, he's not even in the right ballpark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Theborg
You did better than me, I made it to 6 minutes and gave up.
I'm still trying to grapple the whole idea of "profiting". If I am fling by the rules of the sky, why can't I make a buck from that legal flight? I "understand" it, it's the Government, it's lobbyist, it's screw you little guy. But as someone that made a good living thinking logically, this does not compute. Real world example; I took my SD to staples, they printed it out, as I'm leaving the store I get bumped into by a lady, my poster-board image falls, she picks it up, says "I love it", small talk, and she asks if it's for sale, I laugh, tell her about her tax dollars at work and "gave it to her" at cost, explaining 1 cent more and I'd be a felon :eek:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller