Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

X Star Premium Please HELP

johnboyml

Reaction score
Ok guys. I am a relatively new drone operator and boy does it show. On my 4th or 5th flight during landing, the drone was on the ground and tipped over. I stopped it and picked it up and put it back in the case and thought nothing else about it. Seemed very incidental. Now when I try to fly, all I get is the following error. " Gimbal over-tilts. Gimbal is entering sleep mode. Gimbal attitude is abnormal. " Motor's won't start or anything. I have went back and made sure all firmware is updated. I have also try binding the drone, disconnecting and reconnecting the gimbal. Autel says I should send it in but worried that it is something small and that they will charge me a fortune not to mention I will be at their mercy for a return time. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks .

First try and remove the camera. Make sure power is off. Clean the metal tabs with contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol. It might just be a bad connection as the camera is the life line of these unites.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I'm new as well, purchased a refurbed XSP in April from Autel. No problems until 3 weeks ago motors wouldn't start and received some on the same gimbal errors as you. XSP would power on, flash all lights, chirp then nada, no motor start, no lights at all. Called Autel and after trying all of the things you tried to get the motors started, didn't work, was told to send it in. They found a problem with the drones Main PCB and replaced under warranty (The total cost if I would have had to pay was around $220 for part and labor) and they covered all shipping as well which would have been another $40 or 50+. It took 2 weeks from the day I shipped it to get it back, would have been 13 days but I missed the Fedex guy and had to wait another day. Autel customer service was great and my XSP is back in the air!

Wow. $220 is pretty high. I just bought it used a few weeks ago and had been doing great til my tipover. Glad yours was under warranty but mine will not be. If I get hit with that high of a price, I will probably sell it when it gets back go to DJI like I was originally going to do because a tipover should not have done much damage I would not believe.

First try and remove the camera. Make sure power is off. Clean the metal tabs with contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol. It might just be a bad connection as the camera is the life line of these unites.
That’s the fix that worked for me after a very hard landing. Now, I clean the contacts fairly regularly. I’ve landed hard or tipped-over in windy conditions so many times I’ve lost count. The XSP is very durable — that error only happened once, reseating the camera fixed it....

That’s the fix that worked for me after a very hard landing. Now, I clean the contacts fairly regularly. I’ve landed hard or tipped-over in windy conditions so many times I’ve lost count. The XSP is very durable — that error only happened once, reseating the camera fixed it....
What problems were you having prior to cleaning the contacts

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
What problems were you having prior to cleaning the contacts
The camera was not functioning
With the camera off will the XSP start? You don't need the camera on to fly so if it starts and flies I can't see it being a FC board problem.
Duh, yea, good call. XSP flies great w/o the camera, a bit more responsive and for a few minutes longer! I totalled one camera, so I know :(

Just curious. What are you guys tipping over ON? Pavement, gravel, hard surface? Mine has tipped twice that I can remember and luckily, both times in grass. Nothing untoward happened.

Just curious. What are you guys tipping over ON? Pavement, gravel, hard surface? Mine has tipped twice that I can remember and luckily, both times in grass. Nothing untoward happened.

Well I know Hilo tips his over on Lava Rock which is pretty hard and uneven till a few months ago when it became very liquefied.
lol2.gif

Jagged lava, most of the time. If it’s really windy (often), I aim for clumps of weeds and soft-crash land there. Lava is so uneven it’s impossible to land in any wind, manually or RTH (auto-crash I call it)...

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
My last tipover was on concrete. It landed fine and when I pushed the left stick down to kill motors just as manual says to do. It tipped over backwards and now I have to send it in for repair.

The camera was not functioning

Duh, yea, good call. XSP flies great w/o the camera, a bit more responsive and for a few minutes longer! I totalled one camera, so I know :(
Tried without gimbal. Motors won't even start. Guess I have to send it in. I will let yall know the outcome.

Tried without gimbal. Motors won't even start. Guess I have to send it in. I will let yall know the outcome.
Hmmmmmmmmmm. All you did was one tip-over landing on concrete? Did the throttle increase while going backwards?

This is a very durable drone, amazingly so...

I’ve done that more than once, it was windy, and all that happens is chipped props at the worst. I’d start from scratch. Motors won’t start by either the App, or the RC? Does the XSP give you the ready sound when powered-up? Did you check the manual for the colored LED indicators? Different sequences mean different things...

Last edited:
It has been sent it. All I did was once it landed, I pulled the left stick down per owners manual to kill the motors and it tipped over on concrete. I knew the props got chipped a little but I thought all was good until I tried to fly it again a few days later. The bird turns on, makes the chirping noises, the gimbal appears to synchronize and then it turns loose and sways to the right and the aircraft will be disconnected and I get the aircraft over tilts and gimbal abnormal error. I tried reinstalling firmware, cleaning gimbal contacts, flying with or without gimbal, and everything I can think of. The front lights would stay red, while the back lights would slowly flash. Its appearance a mystery to me and cannot find anything like this on google searches. The customer service has been good unsure about the copter . I did buy it second hand but it has flown about 5 or 6 times flawlessly til this happened so who knows.

Had a tip-over in the grass while doing the same thing. Landed, descent stick down, flips over on its back. No damage. Since then, when manually landing, I hand catch. Even then, when doing the shutdown with left (descent) stick, if I don't hit the =exact= center of the control stick area, the XSP will rev to one side or other (front or back). I just hold it steady while tweaking the left stick a bit to kill all power. I am not looking at RC at this time - I am concentrating on the props. :D

Landing can also be done with the take off/landing button, which will automatically shut off motors after touchdown.

Hope your bird is repaired and returned quickly!

if I don't hit the =exact= center of the control stick area, the XSP will rev to one side or other (front or back).

Hope your bird is repaired and returned quickly!

That's right, Goob . . . It's critical to pull the left stick exactly straight down. Otherwise, the bird tends to lean left or right. If Wifey is nearby, I'll have her catch it (don't want to mess up my fingers - ha). I haven't mastered the self-catch move yet.

I actually crash landed my old Phantom 2 Vision years ago in pebble gravel. One of the engines felt like it had picked up some grit, but I kept turning it left and right, upside down, and eventually it cleaned itself out and flew flawlessly. I guess I can chalk that up to "clean living". :cool:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials