Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Would You Fly Near a Cell Tower?

drrags

Reaction score
I found a cell tower out in the distant desert and thought about deploying the drone, but I thought, if there's ever been an opportunity for electromagnetic interference, this would be the place. After thinking about that for a few minutes I decided to just leave the drone in its case. Secondary was a question of legality - not that there was anyone within 10 miles of me. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried it.
IMG_2555 2.jpeg

I have one about 1/4 mile away, never a problem unless......
You don't watch your drone !
(When I had my Typhoon H ! )

Reactions: drrags
I fly close to cellular towers quite frequently doing surveys of the installed equipment.
I've had some issues with our DJO Matrtice 2 drone wich does not like the Microwave dishes depending on their transmission frequency. Never had any issues with the EVO 2 pro nor DJI's Mavic series.

MAX_1044.jpg

Last edited:
Thats not just a cell tower in your photo - those are microwave relays (the flat ones) that could cause issues. Just cell antennas as the others are showing, not so much
Looks like huge bass drums to me...... ;)

My big question is which of the devices commonly on theses towers should we stay away from?

The big bass drums emit powerful microwave radiation - they are carrying data and cell calls long distances.
A quick little search shows that microwaves would probably prove deadly for a drone. Good to know.
Thanks!

Well I don't agree cell towers are deadly as cell tower inspections are done all the time with drones. Cell towers in the city are as plentiful as a Macdonalds every three blocks or so. If they were so dangerous drones would be dropping like crazy. My old X-Star uses the 900 Mhz channel. So do Cell towers. Both have their own set of protocols and I have never had one single problem flying near them at all.

Reactions: Dougiefresh27
Well I don't agree cell towers are deadly as cell tower inspections are done all the time with drones. Cell towers in the city are as plentiful as a Macdonalds every three blocks or so. If they were so dangerous drones would be dropping like crazy. My old X-Star uses the 900 Mhz channel. So do Cell towers. Both have their own set of protocols and I have never had one single problem flying near them at all.
I agree, cell towers are fine but the microwave things on some towers can be very bad

I have used my X-Star as well close to cell towers. This was a pretty windy day as well but no problems at all flying by the tower

Attachments

• Cell_tower_extreme_closeup.jpg
    Cell_tower_extreme_closeup.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
We have companies do aerial scans of the towers all the time. Main issues are losing connection to your remote control.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller