Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

With V3 of the Autel Evo II coming out

winrose

Reaction score
It would be nice if Autel would offer those of us who might desire a V3, upgrade board replacements for a price. i for one would shell out funds to have my V2 upgraded to V3. I wonder what the price point might be to provide an incentive for Autel to offer an upgrade such as that?

i think buyers would have to provide a good reason for autel to make such upgrades available. it would be expensive. my guess is the reasons must be valid, it's can't be "so i can continue to get support from autel" or "so i don't have to fly an obsolete drone" or "because i like the fly the latest and greatest." at this point, no one has said that any of the previous version will not be faa compliant.

if you don't mind sharing with us your rationale, would like to hear....

Personally, I'd wait to see how it all shakes out.

John McBride (of Autel Robotics, on the Enterprise side) said on a podcast just a few days ago the Evo II V3 ecosystem changes to Skylink. I took that to mean not only does the video transmission protocol change (here's hoping for 2.7K 30p out to 1km distance via 5.8GHz like the Lite+), but also likely means the app driving it changes to Skylink, too. As yet, Skylink doesn't port over all the Intelligent Flight Modes that the Evo II V1 and V2 with Explorer have (like Smart Object Tracking) or Missions (for map-making which is arguably much more critical for the Enterprise and RTK drones).

Given that Autel seems to test the market interest first after leaking a new product but before gearing up and committing to production runs, it could be several months yet until it ships, and longer still until the new Evo II V3 firmware and software updates are as well sorted as the V1 and V2 presently are.

The one thing that the V3 probably has going for it over the current Evo II Pro V2--besides Remote ID compliance for the manufacturer, come Dec 16th, 2022-- is the 2.7K video feed. You could have that today with the Evo Lite +. Chances seem excellent that with the ecosystem changes to Skylink for the entire product line going forward, the Evo Lite+ you buy now will have mapping soon, too. And the controllers will be interchangeable (that is, according to John McBride).

If you're simply wanting a V3 board swapout change for Remote ID compliance, wait. Tack-on modules are bound to begin appearing soon. You've got until next Sep 16th to add one to your existing drone. Keep in mind that tack-on modules don't have to display the operator's current position (only at takeoff), whereas the manufacturer's baked-in RID does.

If there is controller compatibility with the Lite, Nano and V3 I would go for that capability. Having a dedicated smart controller for each device would not be cost effective for me. Really liking the V2 SC I would like the smaller SC that appears to be going with the V3.

The V1 and V2 is video transmission resolution is 1080p which matches the Smart Controller V1 and V2. Guessing that the new smaller Smart Controller will also be 1080p because of the form factor. While the 1080p feed from my Evo II Pro V1 looks pretty good on my Galaxy Tab S6, full res would be astounding

It would be nice if Autel would offer those of us who might desire a V3, upgrade board replacements for a price. i for one would shell out funds to have my V2 upgraded to V3. I wonder what the price point might be to provide an incentive for Autel to offer an upgrade such as that?
From experience, a 'new' main board for a Mavic 2 goes for between £350 and £400. A third of the price of the whole drone. The modular upgrades or OEM repair parts are hideously expensive. What I worked out quite a while ago is that it's cheaper to buy a drone-alone (no battery/no controller) and cannibalize the bits you require. I seriously doubt that any of the manufacturers will price their replace/repair components at a reasonable level. It makes more sense for them to sit and wait until you bite the bitter pill and fork out for a complete new model.

I also get the distinct feeling that the guts of the v.3 will not be compatible with the v.1 or the v.2 - Autel are having to design their third EVO to take the boards and chipsets necessary for mandatory geofencing and real-time UUID/location tracking... otherwise they haven't got a hope in hell of being able to sell it anywhere in the European continent once the latest EASA/EU regulation kicks in properly after 1st January 2023. DJI have screwed that pooch by engineering their Mavic 3 to conform to EASA/EU 'C1' category requirements.

To date, we hear only that the props and the arms and the batteries and general form factor (non-Enterprise, that is) will remain the same as the Evo II V1 and V2. If Autel has newly spec'd any of the other peripheral parts differently (antennas? motors? anything electrical with an voltage, impedance, or resistance value on a V3 that's not exactly the same as a V1 or V2), swapping the main board by itself may not be all that's required to successfully function as a V3. Firmware might need to be rewritten to the precise specs of all the other components working together in tandem.The potential number of branches of firmware needed for backwardation --especially considering possible multiple slight differences of earlier production runs due to parts sourcing mid-C19 Pandemic-- might stop such a Frankendrone dead in its tracks

John McBride (of Autel Robotics, on the Enterprise side) said on a podcast just a few days ago the Evo II V3 ecosystem changes to Skylink. I took that to mean not only does the video transmission protocol change (here's hoping for 2.7K 30p out to 1km distance via 5.8GHz like the Lite+), but also likely means the app driving it changes to Skylink, too. As yet, Skylink doesn't port over all the Intelligent Flight Modes that the Evo II V1 and V2 with Explorer have (like Smart Object Tracking) or Missions (for map-making which is arguably much more critical for the Enterprise and RTK drones).

Given that Autel seems to test the market interest first after leaking a new product but before gearing up and committing to production runs, it could be several months yet until it ships, and longer still until the new Evo II V3 firmware and software updates are as well sorted as the V1 and V2 presently are.

The one thing that the V3 probably has going for it over the current Evo II Pro V2--besides Remote ID compliance for the manufacturer, come Dec 16th, 2022-- is the 2.7K video feed. You could have that today with the Evo Lite +. Chances seem excellent that with the ecosystem changes to Skylink for the entire product line going forward, the Evo Lite+ you buy now will have mapping soon, too. And the controllers will be interchangeable (that is, according to John McBride).

If you're simply wanting a V3 board swapout change for Remote ID compliance, wait. Tack-on modules are bound to begin appearing soon. You've got until next Sep 16th to add one to your existing drone. Keep in mind that tack-on modules don't have to display the operator's current position (only at takeoff), whereas the manufacturer's baked-in RID does.
My understanding is the Explorer app will remain for the Evo 2 v3

Reactions: Waldo Pepper

What would be the disadvantage of getting the v3? Does it not have missions built in like the v2?

Also, anybody using this Thermoconverter 1.7 to enable Flir Studio to work with thermograms from 640t? I’m really confused as my box says 640t but also says Flir Thermal? It shows temps fine and in IRC Pro too. But if it’s Flir camera why can’t I use Flir Tools?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain