Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!

Winter Time Flying

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday it snowed and it was warm enough that there was actually a mist in the air but I decided to take my Anafi out for a short flight as it seemed to be clearing up. After landing I was in shocked to see the props. They all looked like they where shattered with tiny cracks. Turned out there was enough moisture in the air and just the right temp to cause icing on the props. It never built up enough that I noticed any performance problems but goes to show you just how accidents happen or should I say pilot error can happen pretty fast.
I have only experience this once before with my Yuneec Typhoon Q500 with carbon fiber props flying near the water falls in the winter. Just something to keep in mind if your out flying in the right conditions.

2020-01-05 15.02.18.jpg

2020-01-05 15.02.34.jpg

Reactions: Goober and Ansia

Ansia

Staff member
Reaction score
Those props break fast. I hear trees tremble every time you take your Anafi out in the winter.

Jimmer

Reaction score
bought my EVO about 1 month ago, had it up twice, live in upper Michigan so we have cold and snow, had no problems flying in the cold (25f) other then the battery life is a little shorter

Reactions: USMCDandy

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
The cold weather wrecks drones as they currently are.
Do you have any facts that cold weather wrecks drones? Are you sure you do not mean cold weather will shorten your flight times as Lipo batteries hate cold weather?
I have several UAV's and all fly just fine in cold weather, warm weather and wet weather. You just have to know their limitations.

Reactions: Goober

Pman

Reaction score
Glad your anafi was OK.
Does everyone fly with gloves on? My hands dont have any insulation and they just cant take it. Dont think I could fly well with gloves.
I tried to fly a Yuneec Breeze out in light snow once and it really didnt like it. I think the bottom sensors were confusing it as I was about 6' up and within 10' of it. It was really erratic in movement with no input from me so I landed it right away.
As long as the drone and battery are not cold I dont think there will be an issue. Of course plastic becomes more brittle the colder it gets so I would expect more damage if there's a crash.

Catweazle

Reaction score
Props could be made from varnished hard wood for winter flying :rolleyes: . Or the props could be sprayed with de-icer before takeoff. o_O

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad your anafi was OK.
Does everyone fly with gloves on? My hands dont have any insulation and they just cant take it. Dont think I could fly well with gloves.
I tried to fly a Yuneec Breeze out in light snow once and it really didnt like it. I think the bottom sensors were confusing it as I was about 6' up and within 10' of it. It was really erratic in movement with no input from me so I landed it right away.
As long as the drone and battery are not cold I dont think there will be an issue. Of course plastic becomes more brittle the colder it gets so I would expect more damage if there's a crash.
I use my winter mitten ;)

20180908_083920.jpg

Reactions: Pman and DanielC

Pman

Reaction score
Wow, never seen anything like that.
Did you make it?
Where would one find something like that?
What tablet are you using?

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
I have even seen guys put one of these inside to keep even warmer but if its that cold out I prefer to stay inside anyways :)

macoman

Reaction score

Alaska

Reaction score
I had my props ice once this winter flying in ice fog and had a small, gentle low level crash. Got lucky, I was considering flying over a canyon earlier. Never had that happen before. I have flown in below zero a lot and there are no issues, props don't ice when it is cold and dry. My last cold flight was minus 20 a few days ago I got 18 minutes out of a battery that was charged several days before. Battery lasted longer than my fingers. I use the thicker touch screen gloves and usually do ok if my body is already warm enough. I keep the spare batteries in the house or someplace warm if I am away from home. I don't try to fold the arms or antennas if I have flown in below zero, I just put them in plastic bags and bring them in to thaw before folding them up.

Reactions: Pman

Pman

Reaction score
I must not have hit post but I did order those gloves plus another one that said "upgraded".
I'm now also looking at "touch screen" gloves as I didnt know those existed either. Thanks!

Anyone know where to get that hobbyking universal heating system or the equivalent? Hobbyking shows out of stock:(
There is a Hyperion version already mounted in an RC bag that also runs off a 3s at 2A with max of 50C/122F.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agustine

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score

Pman

Reaction score
I have a couple of those zippo type hand warmers that work well but they wouldnt be a good idea inside the glove.

Heckmaniac`s Drone

Reaction score
Got these at Christmas - haven't actually used them when flying yet, but they should work well and feel good on.
20200114_120307.jpg

Rorysee

Reaction score
wow....that is interesting. the water crystals in the air freezing would be like flying your drone into a snowman. you very brave, I sh.t my pants when I am flying and I see a hint of very light drizzle and the drone is a meter away

Alaska

Reaction score
Got these at Christmas - haven't actually used them when flying yet, but they should work well and feel good on.
View attachment 6080
The touch screen gloves I have the fingers don't open, it has the stuff woven into the tips that transfer your touch right through them. Work well 99.9% of the time, but I have an old Lenovo Tab with a screen protector that they don't work on. It just wasn't sensitive enough to start with. Everything else is great. These are the thicker ones and there are thinner "running" gloves, too. They also have grippy palms so the controller is easy to hang on to. Costco had them for about $9 several times.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnOfDrones