Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Wind speeds

Reaction score
Thanx AutelPilots for the add. Newbie Autel Evo here, and I will be operating down here in the windward and leeward islands of the Caribbean. I've been looking for any posts or safety precautions about wind speeds. What sort of wind speed would be considered as a no go for flying the Evo? Also has anyone been caught flying their drone and it got caught in a rain squall? Did it survive if so?

I think the answer depends on the pilot. As a novice, I won't usually take off if the wind is above 15mph. But a capable/focused pilot should be fine in winds up to 30mph I think - and I have seen remarkably smooth footage shot in a 40mph wind.

You do need to check the wind speed at the height you plan to fly at as it is typically a lot stronger than it is at ground level. I use a great app called UAV Forecast.

Welcome! XSP continues to amaze. Weather in AZ has been windy/rainy awful for 2 weeks. Bored, I flew w/30 mph winds yesterday. Went-up 1500’ over a mountain, winds noticeably stronger up there. While it flew just fine, if wobbly — the video was rock-solid which amazed me. I was so miserable with the wind chill being 20-25F I landed and ran to the car. :(.

I think it will snow in this week, I miss Hawaii...

I try not to launch over 20 mph at ground level. Likely above 100 ft the winds will be higher and if it's gusty it may cause an unrecoverable situation. UAV forecast is a good "guideline" however not always accurate, but if it's reading accurate ground level windspeed, the readings at altitude are probably not far off. I have also flown in 30 mph winds, but the only reason I don't recommend it as the craft can handle itself well , is that if you loose GPS even for a couple of seconds and happen to be looking down at your monitor the wind WILL carry it and unless you take control quickly enough you might have a loss . Granted this is worst case scenario, haven't had a GPS loss yet on the EVO, did on my Inspire once, but it was scary as I was in a fairly tight spot and came stupidly close to a wall before I could regain control in Atti. SO be careful fly with caution but yes you can push it a bit

Reactions: Caribbean Dronz
Which island in the Caribbean are you from? Like many of our fellow peers said, Keep an eye on the wind speeds and adjust your Evo acordingly. I have no qualms with flying in 30mph winds. I do it from time to time. As for a sudden rain squall, I have been there as well. Always look at the signs in the sky if it's going to rain. If you are caught while flying, simply land as soon as possible and dry your drone. Let it sit for a week so it can dry completely and sadly never use that battery again. It may fail you mid flight.

Which island in the Caribbean are you from? Like many of our fellow peers said, Keep an eye on the wind speeds and adjust your Evo acordingly. I have no qualms with flying in 30mph winds. I do it from time to time. As for a sudden rain squall, I have been there as well. Always look at the signs in the sky if it's going to rain. If you are caught while flying, simply land as soon as possible and dry your drone. Let it sit for a week so it can dry completely and sadly never use that battery again. It may fail you mid flight.
None of the islands. I'm a liveaboard cruiser. So I travel them all, from Grenada to St. Maarten. Thanx for the info, and advice

I had a chance to take my EVO out for a spin yesterday...The Catskill mountains area 150 miles NORTH of NYC...i flew in a remote area of thousands of acres with a pond and mountains all around...i left the place where i was staying and drove to this off the track place and i noticed that it was an uphill drive..not steep but a gradual upgrade for a few miles..i setup...fire the rockets and off it goes (i am still not using a video screen...i am using my eyes..ONLY)...i was cautious...all of a sudden i realized that the wind was kickin...Th Evo was rocked back/sideways/every which way...it was groaning trying to keep position...BUT...it DID ! It was wobbling and swaying and i heard the motors squealing a bit...another tough outing but it showed me that this one is a tough bird

I had a chance to take my EVO out for a spin yesterday...The Catskill mountains area 150 miles NORTH of NYC...i flew in a remote area of thousands of acres with a pond and mountains all around...i left the place where i was staying and drove to this off the track place and i noticed that it was an uphill drive..not steep but a gradual upgrade for a few miles..i setup...fire the rockets and off it goes (i am still not using a video screen...i am using my eyes..ONLY)...i was cautious...all of a sudden i realized that the wind was kickin...Th Evo was rocked back/sideways/every which way...it was groaning trying to keep position...BUT...it DID ! It was wobbling and swaying and i heard the motors squealing a bit...another tough outing but it showed me that this one is a tough bird
Did you take any video? What always surprises me with the XSP is how smooth the video is in strong winds. Only a strong burst seems to wiggle the gimbal, and that’s rare...

Did you take any video? What always surprises me with the XSP is how smooth the video is in strong winds. Only a strong burst seems to wiggle the gimbal, and that’s rare...
I video every time i fly...i have not looked at the footage yet...i haven't uploaded any vids here yet...Mainly because i don't know how to do it...The files are HUGE...is it a complex procedure ? Are there limits to the size of the files ? So many questions...Can you help ? I will post...nothing special,just took it out for a spin for fun and no goal (while filming) in mind

I video every time i fly...i have not looked at the footage yet...i haven't uploaded any vids here yet...Mainly because i don't know how to do it...The files are HUGE...is it a complex procedure ? Are there limits to the size of the files ? So many questions...Can you help ? I will post...nothing special,just took it out for a spin for fun and no goal (while filming) in mind
Just upload the video to Youtube, Vimeo or any video web page of your preference and post a link in here. The upload time depends on your internet connection and the file size.

I am being notified that my file is too large to upload...a bit over 3 gb in size...What are my options if any ? Thanks ALL

I did notice while reviewing the vids ..SOLID...Rock solid...i am impressed..I have a MP...The videos are good...THIS one...The EVO..NO comparison..Professional grade vids...So very happy with the results...still trying to upload but NG...i will work on it...SUGGESTIONS ?

I am being notified that my file is too large to upload...a bit over 3 gb in size...What are my options if any ? Thanks ALL

I did notice while reviewing the vids ..SOLID...Rock solid...i am impressed..I have a MP...The videos are good...THIS one...The EVO..NO comparison..Professional grade vids...So very happy with the results...still trying to upload but NG...i will work on it...SUGGESTIONS ?
Youtube is your best option. Perhaps a dropbox/Google Drive/Onedrive link works too.

Reactions: swings16
Thanks..i worked it out

i used THIS...Not a Quick upload BUT over 3gb's shared via e mail to more than 1 recipient (if you like )

pCloud Transfer
[email protected]

FREE..NO CHARGE !!!

Enjoy and THANKS

It is an easy self explained process

click on the link and follow the simple instructions

Today was the first day that i used it

i saw others that did 2 gb's or less

This one handles BIGGER files

Check it...works GREAT

It is an easy self explained process

click on the link and follow the simple instructions

Today was the first day that i used it

i saw others that did 2 gb's or less

This one handles BIGGER files

Check it...works GREAT
I clicked the email link you posted and all I get is my outlook trying to write an email.

I clicked the email link you posted and all I get is my outlook trying to write an email.

It was 1.2.3. with me

I have G mail

I wish i could help but i don't have an answer for you

It worked very well...i wish you luck..That is the best i an do

It was my first time using it... i D/Loaded and installed the program...i UPLOADED the Vid...and Shared with multiple friends (by e mail)

wish i could help you more..Sorry...Martin

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia
Vimeo lets you upload larger and longer files. I think with less compression too.
Then you can just email the link to whoever you want. You can post the link in the forums too.

Last edited:

That’s great. I have yet to find a flight that had wobbly video from strong wind, and I’ve pushed it. I can tell when I get out of the car if it’d be insane to fly, but just short of insane? Why not try? LOL

Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy