Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!

Why you NEED to shoot in 10 bit! [Outdated]

AerialsOfRocco

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Recently my color grading has gotten more intense, and the 8 bit codec in the Evo was breaking apart too easily. Switching to a 10 bit profile (H. 265) was amazing and has helped me to take my color grading to the next level. This video shows a screen recording of how to switch to 10 bit as well as why you should also shoot RAW photos (which I believe are 12 Bit since they require less processing) Sample videos in 8 Bit and 10 Bit are provided as well for compasison. Enjoy!

parkgt

Reaction score
Please make a small clip of the 10 bit available for download.

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
Your 10 Bit video still says it is 8 Bit

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Home\Desktop\MAX_0047.MP4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 1
Codec ID : mp41 (mp41)
File size : 617 MiB
Duration : 51 s 868 ms
Overall bit rate : 99.7 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2020-05-07 18:42:42
Tagged date : UTC 2020-05-07 18:42:42
GPS : W:-77.4768, N:39.0482, H:59M

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : [email protected]@Main
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration : 51 s 868 ms
Bit rate : 99.7 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.201
Stream size : 617 MiB (100%)
Title : HVC Media Handle
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2020-05-07 18:42:42
Tagged date : UTC 2020-05-07 18:42:42
Color range : Full
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : hvcC

Reactions: parkgt

parkgt

Reaction score
Yes it is only 8 bit. I let him know on YT. It seems that any benefit he is seeing is the result of the better compression afforded by using h.265 rather than what he assumed was a 10 it file. Others have been surprised that their h.265 files were not 10 bit.

Hope Autel can get this sorted out on the EVO2s or there are going to be some disappointed customers; those coming from a Mavic 2 that does shoot 10 bit especially so.

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it is only 8 bit. I let him know on YT. It seems that any benefit he is seeing is the result of the better compression afforded by using h.265 rather than what he assumed was a 10 it file. Others have been surprised that their h.265 files were not 10 bit.

Hope Autel can get this sorted out on the EVO2s or there are going to be some disappointed customers; those coming from a Mavic 2 that does shoot 10 bit especially so.
Well I really don't think he researched his claims in his video very well. If he did he would have found posts from the past that the EVO I can in no way produce 10 bit. I am disappointed he is using this forum to only mine subscribers for his Youtube channel. He does not offer any info or advice other then thanking everyone for viewing his videos. This one really ticked me off when he was whining that people are not subscribing.
If he is going to produce tutorials he better do some more research on the subject.

As for Autel getting back to me on my request for a better explanation it would seem they have decided not to answer. So what does that tell you about their 10 bit claim??

Ansia

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I really don't think he researched his claims in his video very well. If he did he would have found posts from the past that the EVO I can in no way produce 10 bit. I am disappointed he is using this forum to only mine subscribers for his Youtube channel. He does not offer any info or advice other then thanking everyone for viewing his videos. This one really ticked me off when he was whining that people are not subscribing.
If he is going to produce tutorials he better do some more research on the subject.

As for Autel getting back to me on my request for a better explanation it would seem they have decided not to answer. So what does that tell you about their 10 bit claim??
I saw a flying pig earlier, so there is still hope! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon

Micander

Reaction score
That's exactly the same point i got no answer from support anymore a week ago.

AerialsOfRocco

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

I had done a fair amount of research, including one of Autel's own videos where they said the Evo does 10 bit in H.265. It was a mistake on their end, and as it turns out the only benefit I'm getting from H.265 is better compression, like Parkgt said above. The file sizes were substantially different and I personally saw the colors to be more vibrant. It's unfortunate that Autel has put out mis-information about their own drone. It is capable of outputting 10 bit, they just choose not to do it. This is my first issue I've had with them. It is my fault that I didn't do enough research but I still find it frustrating that you want to take hits at my channel saying I am begging for subs. You have told me not to ask in this forum before, and I have not asked since. The fact that I ask for people to subscribe in my videos is justified and is not your issue. I don't wish to have this kind of issue with you, but it is annoying. I will be correcting the video because the information is wrong. I just wanted to make a helpful video but you chose to go after it, despite my positive intentions. I apologize for posting inaccurate information, but please, don't base your moderation of this based upon me asking for subscribers in my video.

Oh, here's that video I referenced:

Last edited:

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
I had done a fair amount of research, including one of Autel's own videos where they said the Evo does 10 bit in H.265. It was a mistake on their end, and as it turns out the only benefit I'm getting from H.265 is better compression, like Parkgt said above. The file sizes were substantially different and I personally saw the colors to be more vibrant. It's unfortunate that Autel has put out mis-information about their own drone. It is capable of outputting 10 bit, they just choose not to do it. This is my first issue I've had with them. It is my fault that I didn't do enough research but I still find it frustrating that you want to take hits at my channel saying I am begging for subs. You have told me not to ask in this forum before, and I have not asked since. The fact that I ask for people to subscribe in my videos is justified and is not your issue. I don't wish to have this kind of issue with you, but it is annoying. I will be correcting the video because the information is wrong. I just wanted to make a helpful video but you chose to go after it, despite my positive intentions. I apologize for posting inaccurate information, but please, don't base your moderation of this based upon me asking for subscribers in my video.
Most of your videos are very well done. Some even educational. This one really ticked me off with your intro asking for subs. Maybe something to consider in the future to just add a "if you liked this video hit the subscribe button" Like most youtubers do. And I thank you for following the rules of the forum, much appreciated.

AerialsOfRocco

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Most of your videos are very well done. Some even educational. This one really ticked me off with your intro asking for subs. Maybe something to consider in the future to just add a "if you liked this video hit the subscribe button" Like most youtubers do. And I thank you for following the rules of the forum, much appreciated.
I'm glad you find them well done. And I do find the method in this video to be a little annoying, but has given me good results, more people subscribe if you ask them to at the beginning, but I will try to rephrase that a bit differently so it isn't as intrusive.

Reactions: Dave.mp4

parkgt

Reaction score
Nice and refreshing to see someone admit to a mistake.

Reactions: DanielC

San2C

Reaction score
After years of grading 8 bit footage and even the lesser DV footage, I've come to understand that you're better off nailing gamma, color, etc., in camera than trying to massage super flat, low color depth footage which can fall apart with noise, banding, and even macro blocking as a result.

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
After years of grading 8 bit footage and even the lesser DV footage, I've come to understand that you're better off nailing gamma, color, etc., in camera than trying to massage super flat, low color depth footage which can fall apart with noise, banding, and even macro blocking as a result.
Wow I guess all those professionals that put out tutorials on how to shoot videos are all wrong, who new 🤔

San2C

Reaction score
OK, I guess I'll have to take a break from making a living shooting and post-producing video to make a youtube video so you'll consider me a "professional." Good to know 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia and Agustine

Agustine

Staff member
Reaction score
It just goes against everything out there that has been posted. I'm sure you have a valid point but none that I have ever heard.

San2C

Reaction score
It's a fad that started after raw video became available. People got it drilled into their heads that shooting log was like shooting raw. It's not. Problem is, 8bit footage is fairly shallow in terms of color depth and as much as people have the mistaken belief that it's "safer" to shoot in log, it's actually safer to not shoot in log in 8bit.

When Technicolor put out their Cinestyle picture profile for 5DMKII, I shot a project with it and watched the 8bit footage break up as I graded it back to normal. I soon after realized that it made little sense to shoot with a super flat profile unless that's how I wanted to deliver footage.

I am pretty sure there is no extended range to be had recording in log, especially in 10bit or above. But without it, it's one less shiny object for camera manufacturers to use in selling cameras and our self described video experts wouldn't be able to post their asinine grading videos.

My philosophy is - nail the look in camera as closely as you can. As long as your highlights aren't clipping and you have good exposure (not underexposed) you're safe.

Reactions: Dave.mp4

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren562