Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Where The Two Rivers Meet

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Dog River is a river located northwest of Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. It enters the northern end of Big Dog Lake and drains at the southern end, continuing to Little Dog Lake and then to its confluence with the Matawin River to form Kaministiquia River. The name "Kaministiquia" comes from an Ojibwe word meaning "where the rivers meet". It derives its name from a large effigy of a dog dug into the ridge separating Big and Little Dog Lakes. Ojibwe Indians created the effigy to honour a dog which had alerted their sleeping village of an impending attack by the Cree. The 'dog' was found and excavated by Professor Kenneth Dawson and is located on the crest of a hill with a view above the hydro standpipe

Last edited:
What a fascinating story, what gorgeous country. It’s so virgin, so empty. I’m gonna miss that... How did they find the dog? A tomb/marker of some kind? Looks like where the Revenant was filmed, minus all the blood...LOL

Not sure if they meant a real dog or what the Native people carved into the land between the two lakes.
I wanted to do a lot more flying at little dog but this young couple came along and started to set up a picnic for their young one so I just left them to have some piece and quiet. :)
I live down river on the Kaministiquia where the falls is that I video all the time. Legend has it
Chieftain White Bear, the peace-loving grand old leader of the Ojibway tribe was interested only in the welfare of his people. One day Chief White Bear was greatly vexed to learn that large numbers of the fierce warlike Sioux were approaching his tribe's encampment at the mouth of the Kaministiquia River, bent upon the destruction of his tribe.
Being too old to go to battle himself and not knowing how to ward off the enemy, the old Chief was greatly distressed. Seeing her father's dilemma, Princess Green Mantle devised a plan.
Bidding her father farewell she hurriedly left the camp and paddled swiftly up the Kaministiquia River. Many times before she had gone for long canoe rides with her brother and she well knew of the Great White Falls. Leaving her canoe at the foot of the falls, she ran swiftly along the bank until she reached a point well above the waterfall.
She soon came within sight of the Sioux Camp. Boldly the young maiden walked into the camp of her bitterest enemies. At once they pounced upon her and captured her. Pretending to have lost her way, she led them to believe she was very frightened. Green Mantle was taken before the Sioux Chieftains and they decided to put her to death. Bargaining with them she followed through with her plan and told them that if they would spare her life she would lead them to her father's camp. The Sioux Chiefs were elated, thinking that they had indeed been blessed by the Gods.
The following morning the young Princess was placed in the lead canoe and the great band, in their war canoes followed, tied as Green Mantle suggested, one behind the other so that they would not get lost. However, she did not tell them about the falls and as they swiftly turned the bend of the river, they plunged headlong into the great gorge, killing all.
Princess Green Mantle of course lost her life also but all of her tribe were saved from the torturous hands of the most dreaded of all Native tribesmen.
The Great Manitou looked kindly upon the brave little Native maiden, and if one takes the trouble to walk down the viewing pods, the figure of Green Mantle can be observed in the mist, standing as a monument to the memory of the Princess who gave her life for her people.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials