Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What larger phones / small tablets is everyone using with their Evo?

Black Dog Drone Ops

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

just got my Evo today and I'm extremely impressed! Such a solid build and just one short flight so far, but all I can say is 'wow'.

I had originally been planning on using my iPad mini 4 with the controller but waiting for a adapter to arrive so I flew with my iPhone 6 just now. You know, with the screen on the controller, it wasn't half bad with the smaller device and I especially liked the non-cumbersome handling of it. Got me to thinking about buying a device that will still fit in the controller bracket but just dedicated to flying. I initially thought about something along the lines of an iPhone 6 Plus or similar but with the delay on the iOS app, I am wondering what other brands, even though running Android, might also be a good option. I saw in another forum (Mavic Pro) lots of people like the Huawei Ascend xt2 and some others. I thought I'd see if anyone here has any feedback on what they are suing and if there are any caveats to be aware of. I'd ideally like to find something with about a 5.5" screen that is good and stable but not too pricey too.

Thanks for your input!

I am using a LG Stylo 3 plus they are very inexpensive and work very well.They have a stylus which work well for setting up way point missions. I gave two of them I do not use so I dedicated one to the EVO.

Reactions: Black Dog Drone Ops
I am using a LG Stylo 3 plus they are very inexpensive and work very well.They have a stylus which work well for setting up way point missions. I gave two of them I do not use so I dedicated one to the EVO.
Thanks for the info! I just checked that one out online and it looks great! I think that is a top contender for me. Good price and the stylus is a nice plus too!

I made an adapter so I could use a larger tablet, but it was kind of unwieldy and the balance was a little off. I just bought (but haven't used yet) a Sky Platinum 6.0 plus. 6 Inch screen. Even though it is smaller screen size than my Note 8 it is actually kind of larger in appearance if that makes sense. It was only 25 bucks at Microcenter. Specs aren't awesome, but should be good enough and large enough. This is for my Evo only. At $25, I figured it was a no brainer.

Congrats!! So glad you decided to join our side!!

I use an LG V30. It's my main phone and I love it. Probably too pricey to just use for the drone though.

You had a Mavic before, right? How does it compare with the Evo?

Congrats!! So glad you decided to join our side!!

I use an LG V30. It's my main phone and I love it. Probably too pricey to just use for the drone though.

You had a Mavic before, right? How does it compare with the Evo?
Thanks goferfan!

I just got the Evo yesterday and I have to say, I am blown away by the build quality and I love the controller. Had a little snafu with the device holder though... a piece of the rubber grip at the top was missing so I could not use my phone with it since it was slick plastic and popped right out! I contacted Autel and they jumped right on it and have a new piece in the mail to me - amazingly good customer service!

I only went on a short 10 minute flight test around my back yard yesterday but I will say it seems much more stable and more responsive than my Mavic Pro. Don't get me wrong, love the MP but you can really tell there is some newer tech voodoo going on here. I'm really looking forward to trying out the camera and learning the controls better.

I have always been an Apple device user (being an Apple consultant and now a drone pilot) so I was stuck on using my iPad mini with this but after looking into some other Android devices, and since it will be dedicated to the Evo controller solely anyway, I think I'm going that way. I like the look and price of that LG Stylo 3 and the built in stylus is a nice plus if I want to use it. It's on sale at Besy Buy for $139 so I think I will pick one up tomorrow. It has a decent 5.7" screen which should be a good match for the controller and the overall size is less cumbersome than even the iPad mini.

Thanks again for all the info and help and I'm enjoying my move to the 'orange side' so far!

Thanks goferfan!

I just got the Evo yesterday and I have to say, I am blown away by the build quality and I love the controller. Had a little snafu with the device holder though... a piece of the rubber grip at the top was missing so I could not use my phone with it since it was slick plastic and popped right out! I contacted Autel and they jumped right on it and have a new piece in the mail to me - amazingly good customer service!

I only went on a short 10 minute flight test around my back yard yesterday but I will say it seems much more stable and more responsive than my Mavic Pro. Don't get me wrong, love the MP but you can really tell there is some newer tech voodoo going on here. I'm really looking forward to trying out the camera and learning the controls better.

I have always been an Apple device user (being an Apple consultant and now a drone pilot) so I was stuck on using my iPad mini with this but after looking into some other Android devices, and since it will be dedicated to the Evo controller solely anyway, I think I'm going that way. I like the look and price of that LG Stylo 3 and the built in stylus is a nice plus if I want to use it. It's on sale at Besy Buy for $139 so I think I will pick one up tomorrow. It has a decent 5.7" screen which should be a good match for the controller and the overall size is less cumbersome than even the iPad mini.

Thanks again for all the info and help and I'm enjoying my move to the 'orange side' so far!
betcha dont miss the NFZ crap,huh?,its turn on an GO!

Hey guys, I have a spare new Stylo 3 plus I will ship for $100 . Lower 48 only. PM me if interested.

I have 2 but keeping one for the EVO of course.
Nice deal! I already have one arriving today from Amazon or I would have taken you up on this deal! Looking forward to setting it up with my Evo as a dedicated device.

Nice deal! I already have one arriving today from Amazon or I would have taken you up on this deal! Looking forward to setting it up with my Evo as a dedicated device.

You will. It does a good job for me. I bought 2 one for me and one for my wife. Then I got a good deal on V30 that's why I have 2. But it worked out putting one to good use.

I made an adapter so I could use a larger tablet, but it was kind of unwieldy and the balance was a little off. I just bought (but haven't used yet) a Sky Platinum 6.0 plus. 6 Inch screen. Even though it is smaller screen size than my Note 8 it is actually kind of larger in appearance if that makes sense. It was only 25 bucks at Microcenter. Specs aren't awesome, but should be good enough and large enough. This is for my Evo only. At $25, I figured it was a no brainer.

I hate quoting myself, but I figured since I actually put the phone I got yesterday into practice last night I'd share an update. The phone is nearly tablet sized and worked perfectly. I had used a Galaxy SIV previously and a tablet. I miss the real estate that the tablet offered, but this phone (at 6 inches) is an improvement over the Galaxy and worked just as I'd hoped. As a dedicated device the only concern I have is if it has enough memory and processing power to run a screen recorder and the Autel app at the same time. It appears to be able to do it with no issues and I like the form factor. The $25 cost for a 6 inch display made it an easy decision since the same phone sells for over 100 on Amazon.

well, since I wanted an HDMI output for my Yuneec goggles, I had to get a tablet with an HDM out, I heard very good things about the Nvidia Shield K1 which is discontinued, but I found a pre owned one reasonably priced on eBay, a little beat up but seems to be working fine, the app is not as resource hungry as the DJI GO app, which I will try, just because I want to see the app page on the goggles which the HDMI from the Inspire doesn't provide. So far so good with the Nvidia. Someone posted replacing the phone holder on the EVO remote with a DJI Phantom/Inspire clone and I loved the idea so much I got one, now I need to adapt it to the remote.

well, since I wanted an HDMI output for my Yuneec goggles, I had to get a tablet with an HDM out, I heard very good things about the Nvidia Shield K1 which is discontinued, but I found a pre owned one reasonably priced on eBay, a little beat up but seems to be working fine, the app is not as resource hungry as the DJI GO app, which I will try, just because I want to see the app page on the goggles which the HDMI from the Inspire doesn't provide. So far so good with the Nvidia. Someone posted replacing the phone holder on the EVO remote with a DJI Phantom/Inspire clone and I loved the idea so much I got one, now I need to adapt it to the remote.

If you have a extra phone case attach it to the K1 with some velcro.

If you have a extra phone case attach it to the K1 with some velcro.
elsewhere in this forum I posted photos of the adaptor I "adapted" it was originally to allow a iPad 2 to fit the DJI Inspire remote. With just a little sanding it fit the EVO just fine, a little tight with the Shield, but works very secure.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials