Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What is the capacity of internal storage- EP2?

AndrewS

Reaction score
With my Evo Pro 2 v1, I typically store stills on a 32gb microsd card. But the thought occurred to me that perhaps internal storage may be more reliable. Unlike my full frame camera, the drone doesn't have a back-up SD slot. Does anybody know what the capacity is of the internal storage? I couldn't find it in the manual anywhere.

With my Evo Pro 2 v1, I typically store stills on a 32gb microsd card. But the thought occurred to me that perhaps internal storage may be more reliable. Unlike my full frame camera, the drone doesn't have a back-up SD slot. Does anybody know what the capacity is of the internal storage? I couldn't find it in the manual anywhere.

It says it in the marketing materials on their website; 8GB, you can also see the remaining capacity after you format the internal storage. There's no way I would use the internal storage over a microSD card, the internal storage is mainly just an emergency backup in case you took off and forgot to put a memory card in it or forgot to bring a memory card. 8GB can go pretty quickly when filming video, its a PITA to get the footage downloaded from the internal storage when the time comes (need a USB-C cable, the drone must be turned on, you have to remove the gimbal protector before turning it on, its slower to copy than from a microSD, etc, etc.). Even the photography buffer takes longer to clear when using the internal storage so the IO bus for the internal storage must be slower than the microSD card.

EVO_6K_Storage.JPG

I have flown probably over 1,000 miles since 2014 when I got my first drone and I have used SanDisk Extreme Pro microSD cards in every drone I've ever owned and not once after hundreds of commercial jobs have I ever lost footage stored on the card. All of my regular cameras have dual card slots as well, and I always configure my cameras to use dual slot recording for both photos and videos, but with drones I've just had to give up on expecting redundancy.

If I happen to have filmed some irreplaceable type of footage such as a racer crossing the finish line first then what I do is land the drone as soon as possible, I insert the microSD card into an SD card adapter, I turn on the write protect feature of the adapter, and I get the footage copied off and backed up right there on location via a laptop and external HD; that way I have 3 copies of the footage before ever leaving the site.

Reactions: EBEPLS and davery87
The freshly formatted internal "Flash Card" reads 5.98 GB remaining (EVO2E Dual 640T V2) on my SC. But you won't be able to use it in "dual slot" mode with the mSD for backup writing. You have to decide which one to take... I find the "Flash Card" nice to have in case when unintentionally not having the mSD on board or being faulty while in flight...

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg