Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Well This Is Fun (NOt) Off topic

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
OK the last three days I been fighting a 2009 dodge ram 1500 4x4 spare tire winch. I bought the truck second hand in May of 2016. Its been a fairly good truck up till now. First day I get low tire pressure alarm so I check each tire with my gauge to find the low one. Passenger side valve cap will not turn . Hmmm, use a little force and the valve stem breaks half way down from corrosion. Well thats not good I think. Oh well get the spare tire down and change it out. Darn thing would not even turn when cranked. So day one I sprayed it down and day two I sprayed it down a few more times to try and loosen it up. Day three I finally get the cable to start dropping but no tire lol WTF i think. Googled a few things and from what I read the retaining ring sometimes get stuck.
OK bring the cable down and spray the H out of the retaining ring. A couple hours later prying on it the nylon bushing pops out of the retaining ring but but the tire and ring are still stuck. Came in and sucked back a couple of beers and going to give it another go tomorrow.
Rant over :)
20170811_164707.jpg 20170811_164716.jpg

Reactions: Squirrel!
LOL
Thanks I need a laugh right now. Getting to old to lay under a truck and turn wrenches. Used to love it when I was a teenager but at 60 I find it hard to get back up and dust off all the dirt :)

Reactions: Squirrel!
Get a three+ pound sledge and give it a few whacks. The rim is probably rusted to the cross member. On the newer trucks they have rubber bumpers on the cross members to keep this from happening. It's probably never been lowered in its life. An as for the valve stems, if it has the TPMS sensor valves, do not use anything other than the cheap plastic caps. All the fancy ones corrode onto the brass fittings and will give you problems after a year.

Ya thanks. I actually had a spade shovel jammed up into the top of the tire and can make it move so i don't think its stuck to the cross member. If it is it is stuck real good. And yes on the caps. That was the only tire that had a aluminium cap and the rest had plastic. From all the youtube videos that I have watched on lowering the tire there is no safety latch so I don't see that as a problem. I soaked it down again just before coming in for dinner and going to let it sit over night and give it another go in the morning.
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming, better yet come over and get it down LOL

Yes it does. The problem is winters up here and road salt. Not a good thing for under your cars or trucks.
Ahh, OK. I looked this up to see how it worked. I've seen the spares under there, but had no idea they were held in place like this. Looks like that plate welded itself to the rim.

I have no idea what might be holding it up. In this picture I got from the internet the metal retaining ring is suppose to drop down like in the picture but it will not budge. The nylon bushing that fits inside of the retaining ring came down with some effort but not the metal ring. That retaining ring must have welded itself to something.

Retaining ring.jpg

I have a grinder that i can cut the sucker off with if need be. I'm not giving up yet LOL New winch here in Canada is about 140 bucks.

I have a grinder that i can cut the sucker off with if need be. I'm not giving up yet LOL New winch here in Canada is about 140 bucks.
Can you just mount the spare in the back of the truck somewhere? Or you could go redneck and carry it in the front seat.

Last edited:
That is a option to mount in the box of the truck but I would need to buy a tire rack for that purpose. Not a big deal and probably a better option then under the truck.

OK...The cable comes down, the retainer remains, holding the tire in place...what your problem is, is that the retainer top (the part that the cable goes through) is bell shaped basically and it fits up into a 'cup', for lack of a better term, like a mount. The bell and the cup mount have rusted together.

What you want to do is either beat the hell out of the retainer and hope to break it free of the rust (be careful...if it works, that tire will just fall) ao take your grinder with a cutting disc and cut the ears of the retainer off and drop the tire. In my opinion anyway.

OK the last three days I been fighting a 2009 dodge ram 1500 4x4 spare tire winch. I bought the truck second hand in May of 2016. Its been a fairly good truck up till now. First day I get low tire pressure alarm so I check each tire with my gauge to find the low one. Passenger side valve cap will not turn . Hmmm, use a little force and the valve stem breaks half way down from corrosion. Well thats not good I think. Oh well get the spare tire down and change it out. Darn thing would not even turn when cranked. So day one I sprayed it down and day two I sprayed it down a few more times to try and loosen it up. Day three I finally get the cable to start dropping but no tire lol WTF i think. Googled a few things and from what I read the retaining ring sometimes get stuck.
OK bring the cable down and spray the H out of the retaining ring. A couple hours later prying on it the nylon bushing pops out of the retaining ring but but the tire and ring are still stuck. Came in and sucked back a couple of beers and going to give it another go tomorrow.
Rant over :)
View attachment 893 View attachment 894
Holy Crap Agustine...has your truck been under water for a while?????

Joking here...

Drive that truck down the road. The tire will fall within the first mile. Of course it will roll away and eventually cause several thousands of dollars in damages that you'll end up paying!!!! ;)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials