Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Weak Video

Kcriverhouse

Reaction score
I went to fly yesterday at the same location that I've used for the times, sometimes I got three hundred feet away the X 600 feet away from base and the video link started messing up. And lost video signal.
It didn't seem to matter how far, so I tried going up 300 straight up and lost video signal. Each time before the signal was lost I had to caution on cell phone link, starling, that stated video signal link weak , be careful. And then the video would start to deteriorate on the screen in square pixels and then lost.
Anyone have any suggestions on what to check or how to fix this problem.

Which model X-Star do you have? Do you encounter this problem at other locations? We need a little bit more information to help you accordingly.

Usually these connection type problems on the XSP were cause by dirty contacts on the gimbal. Try taking the gimbal off and cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol and or an eraser.

Two other things to try would be to change the data/charging cable and another phone/tablet. Do all of those one at a time and then retry so you will know what the source of the problem was. But again, it's usually dirty contacts on the gimbal.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to check or how to fix this problem.

You have a strange issue here to troubleshoot. To begin, you mention you get the 'weak video' message at a distance and eventually the image pixelates and dies. At this point do you still have full flight control of the drone and can fly it around Line of Sight off the joysticks without any issues? If you can still fly the drone without FPV camera view then its probably not the drone transmitter itself since the control signals and the video are sharing the same antenna as far as I know. That would then point to the camera signal. However if the problem were faulty or dirty contacts, you should have the problem at take off too. Distance should not come into play. And whatever the camera is sending to the transmitter would be the same whether at ten feet or 600 feet from the controller. So that is the conundrum.

Just as a wild shot in the dark how about this. Set your drone in a large open area and power up but don't start the motors. Monitor your camera image as you walk away from the drone and see if the lost image occurs at about the same distance (or at all) as you got when its flying, i.e. buzzing/vibrating and moving. Being able to duplicate the issue on the ground and in the air OR NOT is at least some additional details that might provide further clues.

There is another possibility. Electronic components are extremely reliable but not entirely infallible. Along this line of thinking there may be a component failing in the video camera or its circuitry. And often failures of this type are related to heat breakdown which requires the circuit to be active for some time before the component starts failing after it warms up.

So a secondary test along this line: Fire up the drone and controller. Leave the XSP on the ground and sit there watching your screen over the course of a few minutes or longer. If your image starts failing after a period of time it would definitely point to the circuitry and components. Probably an easy fix back at the repair shop where they could change out the image processing board or camera and get you flying again.

prior to reading your response I removed the camera cleaned the contacks with a pencil eraser and wipe down with electrical contact spray. Re-installed the camera. Still have the same problem. Forgot your one question Yes I still have control of the drone and line of sight.
Where do I send the camera to get it repaired.
I appreciate your help!!
Thanx Ken

I switched micro cables--used 2 different tablets and 2 different cell phones. Appreciate your trying though... God Bless !! Ken

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials