Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Waypoint & POI precision

pwaitzman

Reaction score
Can anyone give tips for precisely placing waypoints and poi's? I'm able to get them reasonably close (say within 10 to 15 feet maybe) using the planner on an iphone screen but it seems that placement accuracy is limited to the diameter of my fat fingers. I'm trying to shoot roughly from a semicircle (using 6 waypoints) about 25 ft in distance and 10 ft higher in altitude from a single POI (which is 10 ft in alt).

Am I asking too much or is there a way to achieve more precision?

Last edited:
Create LineString in GoogleEarth on desktop, export to KML and import to AE.
Paste KML file to Autel Explorer main folder on iPhone.

im assuming you mean on the iPhone screen: I have found luck with blowing up the screen max as much as possible and then press and hold the marker and kinda roll your finger like when you take fingerprints.

so you're trying to create a mission which involves flying a waypoint in a semi-circle slightly above the poi; photos or video? honestly you might have been luck to try this manually using precision flying. such a small area, any work involving post-processing?

Create LineString in GoogleEarth on desktop, export to KML and import to AE.
Paste KML file to Autel Explorer main folder on iPhone.
Thanks - I have exported the .kml with the linestring and poi. I'm having trouble locating/accessing the AE main folder (i see the DCIM folder only). Can you describe how to reach the AE main folder?

Thanks for your help.

Y
im assuming you mean on the iPhone screen: I have found luck with blowing up the screen max as much as possible and then press and hold the marker and kinda roll your finger like when you take fingerprints.

so you're trying to create a mission which involves flying a waypoint in a semi-circle slightly above the poi; photos or video? honestly you might have been luck to try this manually using precision flying. such a small area, any work involving post-processing?
Yes - I would have just tried it manually - but I want to be able to repeat it to capture project process over a few days. I'm taking photos. And your assumption is correct; even with max zoom it's still not too precise.

It appears that there is a problem with importing KML files on iPhone.
I send it from desktop PC to iPhone via gmail, store it directly to AE folder on iPhone from mail.
I can choose it in AE > mission > KML import but app crashes every time i load it.
Only Android for now :/ , LineStrings importing as waypoint missions, polygons importing as polygon missions.

It appears that there is a problem with importing KML files on iPhone.
I send it from desktop PC to iPhone via gmail, store it directly to AE folder on iPhone from mail.
I can choose it in AE > mission > KML import but app crashes every time i load it.
Only Android for now :/ , LineStrings importing as waypoint missions, polygons importing as polygon missions.
Ok - looks like I'll migrate to android.
btw - where do you see an option to import missions. I don't see that anywhere on my iPhone.

Ok - looks like I'll migrate to android.
btw - where do you see an option to import missions. I don't see that anywhere on my iPhone.
I have never had success importing and actually using a kml file and I am on the android platform. It acts much the same way you described. I can import & locate the file, but the explorer app just exits when I try to use it.

I would love to hear from someone who has actually accomplished this.

Reactions: pwaitzman
I have had success using the mission planner in the app to get the wpt and poi close to where needed, then, go in and edit the wpt/pois manually entering in the lat/lon coordinates (if you have them). Have been able to get very good accuracy using the above, granted its slow and cumbersome compared to litchi and others, also needs to be done on each device/app.

I hope that Autel is paying attention. Lots of opportunities here.
I agree whole heartedly! If the import of kml/kmz files actually worked I would be in heaven! Because that would mean I could program my flight completely in Dronelink on a large PC Screen then export my kmz file, import to my beautiful orange bird and then watch amazing video and images get created!

Reactions: gschulzuio
The Autel Explorer app will let you import a KML file. I have been using it for a while. I use my drones for photogrammetry missions that need to follow the terrain. I use UgCS to plan all of my missions. (Google Earth will work as well). I export the KML file as a linestring (contains gps coordinates and elevation in meters). This KML file is then copied onto that android device (not sure if this works will apple devices) internal storage. I just created a folder called KML files and placed them there.

From the Autel Explorer app, click on Mission. Then click on the icon between the magnifying glass and four squares that is a downward left arrow in a box. The Select File window opens and you need to navigate to your KML file and select it (Update: It appears the latest update of the app will not let you navigate to anyway on the internal storage. It freezes up. You will have to put the KML files in this directory Android\data\com.autelrobotics.explorer\files to be able to find them. Updates are a pain sometimes).

The app imports the KML as a Waypoint mission. (This is also a little buggy with the update but still works). You may or may not see any waypoints on the map. Don’t worry, just click the save icon and back out to the Mission selection screen. Your uploaded mission should be there. Click on it and it will open up and you will see all of the waypoints.

Click the edit icon to edit your waypoints. I change the global settings for all the waypoints by clicking on the far left icon (two waypoints with a squiggly line between). To make this into a terrain flowing mission, select Altitude Type and change it to MSL. This will follow the elevation info in the KML. Change other settings as desired and click Confirm then save.

One major shortcoming for these missions, is that the drone comes to a complete stop at each waypoint. This is frustrating and increases mission time but it does work. Another issue is that if you bring the drone in for a battery change, it does not like to resume the mission. A few bugs to work around but hopefully future updates will fix some of these issues.

I hope this helps some of you. Good Day.

Reactions: Gpop24
The Autel Explorer app will let you import a KML file. I have been using it for a while. I use my drones for photogrammetry missions that need to follow the terrain. I use UgCS to plan all of my missions. (Google Earth will work as well). I export the KML file as a linestring (contains gps coordinates and elevation in meters). This KML file is then copied onto that android device (not sure if this works will apple devices) internal storage. I just created a folder called KML files and placed them there.

From the Autel Explorer app, click on Mission. Then click on the icon between the magnifying glass and four squares that is a downward left arrow in a box. The Select File window opens and you need to navigate to your KML file and select it (Update: It appears the latest update of the app will not let you navigate to anyway on the internal storage. It freezes up. You will have to put the KML files in this directory Android\data\com.autelrobotics.explorer\files to be able to find them. Updates are a pain sometimes).

The app imports the KML as a Waypoint mission. (This is also a little buggy with the update but still works). You may or may not see any waypoints on the map. Don’t worry, just click the save icon and back out to the Mission selection screen. Your uploaded mission should be there. Click on it and it will open up and you will see all of the waypoints.

Click the edit icon to edit your waypoints. I change the global settings for all the waypoints by clicking on the far left icon (two waypoints with a squiggly line between). To make this into a terrain flowing mission, select Altitude Type and change it to MSL. This will follow the elevation info in the KML. Change other settings as desired and click Confirm then save.

One major shortcoming for these missions, is that the drone comes to a complete stop at each waypoint. This is frustrating and increases mission time but it does work. Another issue is that if you bring the drone in for a battery change, it does not like to resume the mission. A few bugs to work around but hopefully future updates will fix some of these issues.

I hope this helps some of you. Good Day.
What version is your explorer app? Everytime I've tried to select/use one of these files the Explorer app just exits.

Importing a KML is only part of a solution unless someone has found a way to not only bring in the waypoint info, also to bring in a poi and its location, along with wpt mission actions. For example, with Litchi the trick is to make a copy of a mission, eliminate "curves" at waypoints, then export and import into explorer, open and save. However, still need to add mission actions for each wpt, as well as have not had success exporting poi from litchi. The other missing piece is once you have added your wpt actions, adjust altitudes, poi's etc, is to move to another device/tablet/phone, you have to repeat the above steps which is a pita and time consuming.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58