Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Waypoint Feature - why the limit?

SteveNunez

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm really enjoying the EVO.
As a Parrot Disco owner, I find myself truly liking the 'waypoint' feature as I can easily plan a 15 mile flight (or more) and have the Disco go on the flight....if anyone isn't aware of how cool the Disco is- go to YouTube and search the autonomous flight abilities- it's amazing. (Not a typical hovering drone- this is a different type of drone.)
The reason I mention this is the Autel EVO also has the ability to set waypoints and go on autonomous flights but is severely limited as Autel imposes a very short flight distance from the home point making the feature almost useless......I'd really like Autel to consider changing the parameters to limit the flight to the duration of the battery- not a physical distance limit.

Is anyone using the Waypoint feature? Thoughts?

As a Parrot Disco owner, I find myself truly liking the 'waypoint' feature as I can easily plan a 15 mile flight (or more) and have the Disco go on the flight....if anyone isn't aware of how cool the Disco is- go to YouTube and search the autonomous flight abilities- it's amazing. (Not a typical hovering drone- this is a different type of drone.)
The reason I mention this is the Autel EVO also has the ability to set waypoints and go on autonomous flights but is severely limited as Autel imposes a very short flight distance from the home point making the feature almost useless......I'd really like Autel to consider changing the parameters to limit the flight to the duration of the battery- not a physical distance limit.

I don't like the limitation as well, but Autel is going for safety there. I wish there was a way to turn that off.

What is the limitation exactly? I have use this feature several times... never noticed or encountered a limit yet.

There's a "safety circle" it imposes and if you attempt to fly outside the 'invisible' circle it will not allow the flight. Sad part is the EVO has the capability to make the flight it just limits the flight to a close distance making it not as useful as some other options out there.
I really wish Autel would allow flights outside this parameter!

I always programmed my waypoints offline so I have never seen the "safety Circle". I think my max distance for a waypoint has been about 1300 feet. Probably would still limit me if I hit the magic distance.

I went out and tested it again, after loading up waypoints that were way beyond 1600 feet. Offline the waypoints were accepted but once loaded into the EVO I immediately got the blue circle and the EVO would not begin the program. Just a warning that the waypoints had exceeded the limits. Oh well.

Exactly Agabus, it will let you set it up but wont let you run the flight as it exceeds the perimeter.......this limitation has to go!

I agree... we should be limited by our batteries.... this is disappointing. I don't see a scenario where they will change it... grrrr.

Just wondering,,,how can the Disco can go on a pre-programmed excursion sans GPS?

The Disco does have gps.
My bad, I guess. I was relying upon info from this review ; Parrot Disco FPV [2018] – The Parrot Disco Drone Review Thanks for setting the record straight.

"– Many drones of this type have GPS devices, but this is not the case for the Parrot Disco. As such, it might be harder for people to actually manage to get the device going in the direction they want and they might struggle when it comes to locating it. "

I just ordered an EVO. Now I discover that it has a limit on how far you can fly autonomous flights, if I would have known this I would not have ordered it.

Maybe Autel can't be associated with an "approved" flight plan which would take the EVO beyond anyone's line of sight?

Obviously, there is no limit in free flight as people have flown it out to 3.5 miles to test but maybe that's not quite the same as Autel allowing you to program a flight which would exceed regulatory limits.

Reactions: Nightbat2
I could have sworn I read somewhere the circle either had been expanded or lifted all together in the latest firmware/app, but, i could be wrong.

I'm currently in contact with Autel as the new firmware screwed up my horizon and they feel I should send the A/C in to them as we couldn't fix it remotely, I will ask now that it came up.

Reactions: Agabus
I'm currently in contact with Autel as the new firmware screwed up my horizon and they feel I should send the A/C in to them as we couldn't fix it remotely, I will ask now that it came up.
I tested the new firmware yesterday and also have my horizon tilted somewhat. Not as good as previous firmware in that respect. Also one of the engineers advised they were decreasing the Waypoint Missions restrictions a couple of weeks ago. I assumed it would be with this update.... don't think they did it.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg