Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

VR MODE Working in Explorer Beta 1.0.1.43

Trox

Reaction score
I don't know how this one slipped by me but it did.

I was fooling around with the drone and RC powered up last evening and going through some software settings for the camera. I was connected with my Galaxy Tab A 8" tablet as my mobile device with the Explorer Beta installed. For grins I just clicked on VR Mode and when it loaded, Bingo, there was my camera view showing in the binocular screens. Mobile device tilt actuated the camera pitch and rotating the drone changed compass headings and all my telemetry was active.

So I powered down everything and switched to my cell phone as the mobile device. This phone is running the public Explorer version 1.0.1.33. Fired everything up and NO VR camera view in that mode. OK, time to put the Beta on the cell phone so I hit the Google Play store for the Android update. Powered everything back up with the cell phone running beta and Son of a Gun, I GOT VR MODE Houston! 2am in the morning right now but come daylight if its not freezing rain as predicted I'll be strapping on the Googles for my first VR flight.

Tablet VR Mode screen grab below.
TabletVRModeBeta.jpg

Cell Phone screen in VR Mode running Explorer Beta 1.0.1.43
What is noticeable in my telemetry display is the numbers are showing I am exactly 1.5 MILES from my Home Point. ?? I'll have to investigate that once daylight arrives. The tablet display did not have that anomaly.
20191114_014349.jpg

Would this work with Google cardboard?
That is nothing more than a holder for your phone. That said, I have a plastic phone holder myself with built in lenses for each eye. Not sure if Google Cardboard has that. Maybe not. In which case it would not work. Notice the OP has a picture of two different images, one for each eye.
I have used the Evo VR and it is OK, but I would prefer that the Evo has true goggle support. Sadly it does not.

Hi,
I have been readying through a number of the forums and comments above. Whilst this is not exactly a VR question it is close.
I am trying to find a way to connect to connect my Evo controller to both my mobile (S8+) and a single wearable display device. Basically so that I can still easily see what my drone is displaying as well as maintaining line of sight which is required in most countries I have visited.
I already own a small HDMI wearable device and was thinking of using it if possible, maybe with a USB type C hub with HDMI inbuilt.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Hi,
I have been readying through a number of the forums and comments above. Whilst this is not exactly a VR question it is close.
I am trying to find a way to connect to connect my Evo controller to both my mobile (S8+) and a single wearable display device. Basically so that I can still easily see what my drone is displaying as well as maintaining line of sight which is required in most countries I have visited.
I already own a small HDMI wearable device and was thinking of using it if possible, maybe with a USB type C hub with HDMI inbuilt.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

If I understood what you ment, basically you want to have 1 display for your VO and a headset for you? Did I understand correctly? It can be done in 2 ways. You can buy a slave controller and connect a secondary phone which you will place inside a VR headset and use that for your VR experience, leaving the master controller normally for your VO. The secondary way is to have a tablet with HDMI port integrated, besides the USB-C, and output to a VR heaset that allows HDMI input.

I tried to use a USB-C to HDMI adapter, but I wouldn't get any output on my secondary screen.

If I understood what you ment, basically you want to have 1 display for your VO and a headset for you? Did I understand correctly? It can be done in 2 ways. You can buy a slave controller and connect a secondary phone which you will place inside a VR headset and use that for your VR experience, leaving the master controller normally for your VO. The secondary way is to have a tablet with HDMI port integrated, besides the USB-C, and output to a VR heaset that allows HDMI input.

I tried to use a USB-C to HDMI adapter, but I wouldn't get any output on my secondary screen.
That's basically it in a nut shell. I have just bought a cheap Type C hub with HDMI,USB 3.1 and Type C that can plug into my phone. The wearable display works via the HDMI in the hub connected to my phone. The Evo controller does not though connect to my phone via the hub, only if directly connected.

I know I could buy the Autel Live Deck though that is a lot of money just to connect a eye piece display.

When I first bought the Evo, this was the very first thing I wanted to do. However, I did not find a way to do it without going to the live deck. This is an excellent question, and if anybody finds the answer it would certainly help the entire evo community.

Hi all,

It has been a few weeks as I 1. returned home to Australia, and secondly tried a few options.

Firstly I have found no simply way using a (in my case) a usb-c to HDMI/USB to connect the Autel remote, Vufind Wearable Display and Samsung phone together. The controller simply will not work unless it is connected directly to the phone. And I have tried a few devices.

What I have found works is to buy a simply cast device. I bought a cheap Mirrorscreen that I plug the Vufind Wearable Display into and cast my mobile directly to. What this now allows me to do is is have my mobile plugged into my controller with all the drone info and video and a small clip-on device on my glasses that allow me to see exactly what my phone is showing without looking down. I also maintain direct line of sight with my drone as the Vufind Wearable Display does not block my vision, just provides a small display to the side of my line of sight.

There are other Wearable Display devices out there though I chose the Vufind Wearable Display as I did not need it to have super high resolution, 720 was more than I need in such a small screen. My mirrorscreen device was just a cheap $30 unit from eBay and it works like a treat. I will note that there is just under a 1/4 second lag in the video between my Samsung screen and the Vufind Wearable Display. If I was racing it might be an issue though for the work I do with my Evo 1/4 of a second is not an issue.

Thanks for updating us. I am having a hard time envisioning what you have described. Can you perhaps show a picture of your setup? Just use the "attach files" link here. Also, if you could give a link where you purchased these items it would help too. Thanks mate, and BTW, sorry for the catastrophic fires ravaging your country. I hope it hasn't affected yo personally.

I have left my cable between the Vufind Wearable Display coiled up for travel though this should give you an idea.

Connect your phone to the Autel Controller as you normally would, and either before or after your start your Autel software on your phone turn on screen cast to your cast device. Then anything that is displayed on your phones screen will be cast to your wearable display, in my case the Vufind Wearable Display. I put the white cast device with a small usb battery in my pocket and the Vufind Wearable Display clips onto my glasses as shown. With my right eye I just look slightly to the right and I see exactly what is being displayed on my phone being the Autel software with the Evo's camera being the main part I am looking at.

Hope this helps with the description. All up I spent about $100US and it works like a dream.
(PS My glasses are up side down in the photo)

Attachments

• 20200118_094258.jpg
    20200118_094258.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
I have left my cable between the Vufind Wearable Display coiled up for travel though this should give you an idea.

Connect your phone to the Autel Controller as you normally would, and either before or after your start your Autel software on your phone turn on screen cast to your cast device. Then anything that is displayed on your phones screen will be cast to your wearable display, in my case the Vufind Wearable Display. I put the white cast device with a small usb battery in my pocket and the Vufind Wearable Display clips onto my glasses as shown. With my right eye I just look slightly to the right and I see exactly what is being displayed on my phone being the Autel software with the Evo's camera being the main part I am looking at.

Hope this helps with the description. All up I spent about $100US and it works like a dream.
(PS My glasses are up side down in the photo)
OK. I get it now. So, is that casting device a USB connector or HDMI and is it bluetooth or WiFi? I ask because my display is an HDMI in. I looked on Amazon and Ebay and couldn't find one that looked like the one in your picture.

Last edited:
Hi,

The casting receiver is a HDMI device. I have added the eBay link below to the one I bought. I went with this type as it supports WiFi direct and does not need to have an access point to work. Once it is turned on you simply cast your phone to it. The Vufind Wearable Display simly plugs into the Cast device HDMI connector.

I read a lot of reviews on Amazon about the Vufind Wearable Display and most were 1 star ratings. Biggest complaint is the mount being cheap and breaking. How do you find yours?

im using google daydream but i see the image from the camera as double, like when you are cross eyed, dont know what is the problem, if i could fix that, i can say vr for evo is a nice experience!

I read a lot of reviews on Amazon about the Vufind Wearable Display and most were 1 star ratings. Biggest complaint is the mount being cheap and breaking. How do you find yours?
I have only used mine a few times since getting it to work and all is going well. Battery life is the biggest issue though the inbuilt battery is lasting for almost a continuous 4 batteries I have for my Evo.

im using google daydream but i see the image from the camera as double, like when you are cross eyed, dont know what is the problem, if i could fix that, i can say vr for evo is a nice experience!
Sounds like you are selecting VR mode for your drone. I am leaving mine in standard mode with my phone in the controller bracket. All I do on my phone is under the phones settings for screen cast. I leave the Autel App in standard usage. This way whatever is being displayed on the phones screen is cast to the cast receiver and displayed on my Vufind Wearable Display.
There are other wearable displayes available that are smaller and higher resolution, I just wanted something small and cheap that I could attach to one side of my glasses to allow me to see what the drone was transmitting without having to look down at my phones, or controllers display.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy