Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Very interesting lesson on video transmission setting page!

Apollo11capcom

Reaction score
I recieved this reply from Alejandro regarding my question on the settings and graph on the video transmission page and found it interesting, I thought maybe some of you would as well...

"So the image transmission settings can be a bit confusing, but I would not focus on the graph too much as it will vary more on your location than your actual settings. The two settings on there (Broadband Settings and Image Transmission Mode) will affect what you see on the graph only slightly.

If you select 5 Mhz, you will see a more thin "bar" going vertically, whereas if you select 20 Mhz it will get wider. The Broadband setting adjusts how much data you are actually transmitting from your Evo back to your remote controller. The best way to describe it is you choosing how wide to open the flood gates. If you plan on always flying close to yourself, I would recommend 20 Mhz because you will get the most data flow coming back to you!

Now the Image Transmission Mode is a little bit different, it will adjust your live camera feed resolution. Smooth is about 480p, Normal is about 720p, and High Definition is 1080p. Now, you would only want to adjust this if you are having latency issues or pixelation in your camera feed. Most of the time, you will only need to be in Normal mode. If you plan on going out more than a mile, or you are experiencing a good amount of interference then I would change it to Smooth so you can ensure that there is less latency.

All of this is not very well translated to on the graph, but the more stable your connection the higher the line will be on the graph. As it gets higher, it will shift away from red and up to green. Depending on your flight environment you may never reach a green line, but this does not mean that your connection is not stable it simply means that there may be some interference in your area.

I hope that this was helpful, if you have any more questions or concerns please let me know I would be happy to assist you!"

So 5mhz and smooth for further flying. 20mhz and HD for close flying. If 20mhz has more data being transmitted, why not open the flood gates for further distances?! Larger broadband you think would be better for transmitting longer ranges.

So 5mhz and smooth for further flying. 20mhz and HD for close flying. If 20mhz has more data being transmitted, why not open the flood gates for further distances?! Larger broadband you think would be better for transmitting longer ranges.
I thought that same question, but I assume it's sorta like tcp/ip where it starts showing errors as it loses strength (dropped packets) due to its distance, where the 5hz it much easier to maintain so no such errors. That's a guess on my part.

Reactions: Elroy
I may be talking out of my ..., but if I understand correctly, it's like water. When you put your finger over the hose, the water will travel farther.

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
I’m in a rural area, best I have gotten on a clear day is 10500 ft here roughly. When the wind dies down, if it does, I’m gonna have to test this and see which does best because now I’m curious

Reactions: Ansia
I may be talking out of my ..., but if I understand correctly, it's like water. When you put your finger over the hose, the water will travel farther.
I was thinking of it more like 2 hikers, one with everything he could fit into his pack making it weigh 80lbs and the other with just the bare essentials in his making it weigh 10lbs. I also may be talking out of my.... ;)

So just took mine up. Let the startup go through and switched it to 5mhz and smooth....with it 5ft in front of me it said weak video signal. I flew it off, 2300ft at 380ft High it was cutting out bad, 2800ft out lost image. Regained it after a hover and went to 3400ft. Switched to 20mhz and normal, was able to take it out to 5800ft on this cloudy day. Don’t think they were 100% knowledgeable on that or my bird is flawed

So just took mine up. Let the startup go through and switched it to 5mhz and smooth....with it 5ft in front of me it said weak video signal. I flew it off, 2300ft at 380ft High it was cutting out bad, 2800ft out lost image. Regained it after a hover and went to 3400ft. Switched to 20mhz and normal, was able to take it out to 5800ft on this cloudy day. Don’t think they were 100% knowledgeable on that or my bird is flawed
Hmmm, the plot thickens...
I'l try the same experiments when the weather clears a bit, it's a little to wet and foggy here today.

Hmmm, the plot thickens...
I'l try the same experiments when the weather clears a bit, it's a little to wet and foggy here today.

Ill try again on a clear day or clearer day. According to the weather is suppose to be cloudy for the next 2 weeks and rainy. Oh I love Florida, the fake sunshine state

I’m in a rural area, best I have gotten on a clear day is 10500 ft here roughly. When the wind dies down, if it does, I’m gonna have to test this and see which does best because now I’m curious
Yours are made of steel. After 2,000' I'm hyperventilating.

Reactions: Opa43
Yours are made of steel. After 2,000' I'm hyperventilating.

Eh, Best Buy geek squad. Said if I bring in most of it in a bag they’ll give me another lol. Most I have done is like 10500 or 11000ft away. Took a picture of my wife pulling up to the store to freak her out [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Eh, Best Buy geek squad. Said if I bring in most of it in a bag they’ll give me another lol. Most I have done is like 10500 or 11000ft away. Took a picture of my wife pulling up to the store to freak her out [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I'm a coward and try to keep it VLOS at all times. I used to send it really far away until 1 day I lost it. From what I've observed, you can "see" it up to around 1,800'.

I'm a coward and try to keep it VLOS at all times. I used to send it really far away until 1 day I lost it. From what I've observed, you can "see" it up to around 1,800'.

Nah I can’t blame you. This is like my fourth drone and with the one time replacement I’m a little more old Han I should be a lot of times but I’m always aware of the surroundings and know I can pretty much get to it. One day scared me, winds picked up hard and it was heading back from a mile off at 3mph. Now I basically do it with all the apps telling me it’s safe

I recieved this reply from Alejandro regarding my question on the settings and graph on the video transmission page and found it interesting, I thought maybe some of you would as well...

"So the image transmission settings can be a bit confusing, but I would not focus on the graph too much as it will vary more on your location than your actual settings. The two settings on there (Broadband Settings and Image Transmission Mode) will affect what you see on the graph only slightly.

If you select 5 Mhz, you will see a more thin "bar" going vertically, whereas if you select 20 Mhz it will get wider. The Broadband setting adjusts how much data you are actually transmitting from your Evo back to your remote controller. The best way to describe it is you choosing how wide to open the flood gates. If you plan on always flying close to yourself, I would recommend 20 Mhz because you will get the most data flow coming back to you!

Now the Image Transmission Mode is a little bit different, it will adjust your live camera feed resolution. Smooth is about 480p, Normal is about 720p, and High Definition is 1080p. Now, you would only want to adjust this if you are having latency issues or pixelation in your camera feed. Most of the time, you will only need to be in Normal mode. If you plan on going out more than a mile, or you are experiencing a good amount of interference then I would change it to Smooth so you can ensure that there is less latency.

All of this is not very well translated to on the graph, but the more stable your connection the higher the line will be on the graph. As it gets higher, it will shift away from red and up to green. Depending on your flight environment you may never reach a green line, but this does not mean that your connection is not stable it simply means that there may be some interference in your area.

I hope that this was helpful, if you have any more questions or concerns please let me know I would be happy to assist you!"

Thank You for relaying this information. I have never actually seen it all addressed once and for all like that! And it makes perfect sense if it indeed works as designed.

That being said, I have experimented with all that and in my experience, it makes no difference to the video or control range at all!
The only difference I see is that if you select the "5mhz" broadband setting the "signal strength indicator bar graph" on the controller loses a bar even if the drone is right next to you and not even flying! I also called about all that and sent pix and all they came back with is the fact that the "mhz" is supposed to be "mbs" and that will be fixed in an update...that was stated before the last update... so... it wasn't fixed yet..

Here are the pix of that " 1 less bar" issue and a copy of the reply from Autel:

Sydney [email protected] via freshdesk.com
Oct 17, 2018, 4:17 PM

to me

Hello John

Thanks for the pictures. I also Those settings really only impact the video transmission and won't effect flight at all, so you won't have to worry about that. Although it appears like the video signal changes when you switch to different Broadband settings, the vision signal and Broadband settings are two separate things. The signal will fluctuate depending from time to time depending on a variety of things, but won't affect much. Also, it's important to note that while looking into your case, we did notice a typo on the Explorer app. For the 5, 10, 20 settings, it's actually mbps, not mHz. Our development team is now aware of this and will be making the appropriate fix.

Best,

Sydney

Customer Support
AUTEL ROBOTICShighlighted 5MHz.jpgHighlighted 10MHz.jpgHighlighted 20MHz.jpg

I fly all my drones at 10mhz and regular image transmission mode. From my experience, it gives the best signal quality and farther distances. I beleive Sydney is wrong on the Mb/s. Either that or other manufacturers are also getting it wrong.

If it is in fact the broadband connection from the drone back to the controller as Alejandro stated then megabits per sec would make more sense as its a measure of data throughput as opposed to mhz which i think is a measure or frequency of radio signal (I think... I understand data well, radio, not so much). The 5, 10, and 20 levels would also make sense for the throughput amount, LANs were 10 and 100 mbps and are now 1000+. But we're not talking wired connections, we're talking over a radio signal at some distance.

I almost bought the protection plan for that reason... until she told me it was over 300 bucks! I'l just be careful.

Reactions: Opa43 and Ansia
I almost bought the protection plan for that reason... until she told me it was over 300 bucks! I'l just be careful.

Truthfully I spent 1k on a drone and went back within 7 days and bought the protection plan. I wouldn’t have but peace of mind knowing I can get a replacement for $350 over the course of 2 years and then the next one will come with Autels 1 year warranty. So if it goes out within 2 years I just go get another and then have a new drone and a new warranty. I just didn’t want to be out a grand if a mishap happens, regardless of Autels customer service I want to be able to grab a new one same day

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials