Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

V2 Smart Controller; Will it get enough development?

BlairAir

Reaction score
I asked before, possibly in a different thread - Does anyone know a source of APK's for Autel Explorer versions -or any versions? I have a V2 Smart Controller running V1.1.7.60 for crying out loud. No way to install FW, System (Android Updates), FW or AE App easily if it isn't presented in the Update Menu. I figured out how to force a FW Update (haven't tested yet, but I can unpack a FW Zip file into the Android/data/com.autelrobotics.explorer/files/upgrade folder, which should work, but without pairing with the .93 app version I am concerned there will be issues. Alternately, I could push the FW to the AC via sdcard, but would have a Controller/Aircraft version mismatch, I believe I don't have much experience with Autel's file management.

I get that the V2 SC is new. But your putting it in production, shipping it and it's now out there. Autel should be able to provide some basic things, like caching video to the SC. Like downloading the video to SC wirelessly. Downloading ANYTHING to the SC wirelessly other than low res photos.

Photo transfer speeds are insanely slow. Like 12 seconds to download ONE photo to the controller. I just transfered 8 photos. It took 12 minutes, 41 seconds. I could transfer a nice amount of 4 k footage in that time on my Air 2, even without high speed WiFi Direct.

Look I know Autel is working hard, and they are genuinely interested in making these products succeed. They simply must invest in more resources- particularly Android developers. They could probably find expertise at XDA-Developers, or at phone companies such as Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile that could fix stuff like camera options on AOSP Android. That was embarrassing to see on this beautiful beast of hardware. Or an automotive scanner app installed (I'm guessing to test or change some behavior or setting)

Minimally Autel needs staff that knows basic AOSP if they want this controller to not be top hardware running a barely functional AOSP Android build. These things are not optional.
SmartSelect_20211015-135649_Chrome.jpgSmartSelect_20211015-135649_Chrome.jpg
I honestly thought they had all this, but it is apparent that they don't or do but cannot implement for some reason. Worse, they are charging prices that give customers high expectations. This discrepancy is not promising for the success of the SC, and by extension, the "Enterprise" Products. Enterprise means an ecosystem and support infrastructure, not a high end bit of hardware in a wheel case. They simply have to have it all. I want it for them. But I simply can't see how they get there. If I was CEO I might not get much sleep. So much greatness, so many challenges.

SmartSelect_20211015-140758_Chrome.jpg
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: goldenu2

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d