Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

stupid

Reaction score
Hi, I have been trying to get my x-star off the ground now for the last 6 months. I cant believe we cant get batteries even a generic replacement from somewhere. Doesnt someone know which chinese factory made these in the first place and we put an order in, in bulk!
Anyway I got a phantom 3 battery and connected up the terminals to my x-star drone and it did fire up the drone but the remote control said "unkown battery" ". Has anyone tried cracking open the phantom 3 battery using their cells in the x-star battery case? If not Ill been having a go when I get chance. I just think its disgusting autel has stopped getting these batteries rendering the drone useless its not as if it was a cheap drone. I will not be getting autel products again, ever!!

Reactions: Auburnweedkiller
Hi, I have been trying to get my x-star off the ground now for the last 6 months. I cant believe we cant get batteries even a generic replacement from somewhere. Doesnt someone know which chinese factory made these in the first place and we put an order in, in bulk!
Anyway I got a phantom 3 battery and connected up the terminals to my x-star drone and it did fire up the drone but the remote control said "unkown battery" ". Has anyone tried cracking open the phantom 3 battery using their cells in the x-star battery case? If not Ill been having a go when I get chance. I just think its disgusting autel has stopped getting these batteries rendering the drone useless its not as if it was a cheap drone. I will not be getting autel products again, ever!!
You are absolutely right!! When Autel was just getting off the ground, we were the one's who supported them with an unknown product and took a chance with it. Now they just [Language removed by ADMIN] on their potential future customers. I was going to get an Evo 2 until I found out that batteries were no longer being sold for the X-Star, shame on them. I am done with Autel!! I do not trust them and even more so their business practices. Evo 1 batteries are next people, just watch and see!!

Last edited by a moderator:

@stupid @ORANGE CRUSH I understand you are upset and honestly I wouldn't be too happy either if I had a perfectly good drone that I couldn't get batteries for, but the reality is that they all do this. The X star was released in 2016 almost 5yrs ago, and as far as I can tell it simply wasn't popular enough for vendors to bother making a clone battery for it and there is no way the vendor would keep producing batteries for a product with such low market penetration 5yrs later.

Even with DJI drones, you cannot buy a brand new Phantom 1, 2, or 3 battery if you wanted to. With DJI though so many models were sold (possibly in the millions), that it was worth the aftermarket vendor's time and investment to recycle the batteries or make knockoffs; so I'm not sure you can blame Autel specifically for this situation.

I do think the biggest problem is the battery form factor literally changes every single model year, it is very frustrating for us as the consumer to keep having to repurchase batteries, chargers, and charging cables every time we get a new model of a drone but for now it is the reality of the industry. Regular cameras are the same way, I just picked up a new handheld cinema camera and the battery form factor is identical to the previous model; yet they moved the charging contacts to the other side of the battery to make sure you bought a new charger and all new batteries to use the camera.

Reactions: Eagle928
Try to see if it will change unk battery if you try to give it to list. Haven't done this in years but you can look it up on site. I am looking at by-passing the battery code to use 26650 battery. Let me know how it goes.

Just an
@stupid @ORANGE CRUSH I understand you are upset and honestly I wouldn't be too happy either if I had a perfectly good drone that I couldn't get batteries for, but the reality is that they all do this. The X star was released in 2016 almost 5yrs ago, and as far as I can tell it simply wasn't popular enough for vendors to bother making a clone battery for it and there is no way the vendor would keep producing batteries for a product with such low market penetration 5yrs later.

Even with DJI drones, you cannot buy a brand new Phantom 1, 2, or 3 battery if you wanted to. With DJI though so many models were sold (possibly in the millions), that it was worth the aftermarket vendor's time and investment to recycle the batteries or make knockoffs; so I'm not sure you can blame Autel specifically for this situation.

I do think the biggest problem is the battery form factor literally changes every single model year, it is very frustrating for us as the consumer to keep having to repurchase batteries, chargers, and charging cables every time we get a new model of a drone but for now it is the reality of the industry. Regular cameras are the same way, I just picked up a new handheld cinema camera and the battery form factor is identical to the previous model; yet they moved the charging contacts to the other side of the battery to make sure you bought a new charger and all new batteries to use the camera.
I did just buy a phantom 3 battery for £60 of amazon just the other day so they are still being sold in 2021 unlike the x-star battery. To be honest the life of the x-star battery is terrible as well, I thought it would last more than 20 odd flights. The actual x-star drone though is so great to fly which makes it all the more upsetting that i have to leave it on the shelf!!

Just an

I did just buy a phantom 3 battery for £60 of amazon just the other day so they are still being sold in 2021 unlike the x-star battery. To be honest the life of the x-star battery is terrible as well, I thought it would last more than 20 odd flights. The actual x-star drone though is so great to fly which makes it all the more upsetting that i have to leave it on the shelf!!

Yes it is possible to still buy a Phantom 3 battery but that's my point.....they are not brand new meaning you cannot go to the DJI store and buy a P3 battery. Every P3 battery that I have seen on Amazon has some sort of fine print in the description and it usually is a knockoff or it is refurbished by the reseller; none of them were manufactured by DJI in 2021. So, if it weren't for the resellers and knockoffs it would not be possible to buy a P3 battery.

Only 20 flights for the X star battery? That does sound pretty terrible. I read somewhere that most of the DJI batteries are good for about 120 flights which still doesn't sound like much if you ask me. My P4 batteries rarely lasted 1yr before they started to swell and they only lasted that long because I have 6 of them.

I Agree with you there, I only used my drone about 10 times and both batteries died from storage. I was not a happy camper when I found out they are not making them anymore

took old battery to bits, looks like I need to know how to reset the circuit board so it can be used with alternate batteries, anyone know how?

took old battery to bits, looks like I need to know how to reset the circuit board so it can be used with alternate batteries, anyone know how?

I think your best bet is to try to sell the thing and get an EVO II. As soon as an EVO III is released repeat the process. LiPo batteries are walking time bombs and have burned people's houses down, forced passenger planes to land prematurely, and are very dangerous even before tampering with their wiring. I still have misgivings occasionally just keeping them in my house. There is no way I would do what you are doing with this knowledge in mind, its just not worth the risk.

Less than a few years ago certain Samsung phones were banned on all airplanes due to their fire risk...and their batteries store a fraction of the power that drone batteries can store; a single LiPo could completely level your house.

What you are doing is the same thing I am trying to do. I think that your hookup should drive the drone... did you try and hook it up and see what the controller says?o_O:p

Yep. Not sure how to reset the board yet. It does have an RST on the motherboard and I'm trying to figure that out. I have built and flown other packs you have to charge and discharge to get the motherboard to start reading the larger pack. Or that is what I have learned so far.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
Hi, agree with you. Autel has deserted a group of loyal customers and got them going when they started and then dumped us. As mentioned I have also not bought a EVO which I was going to do how can you trust a company that dumps their loyal customers, I think its very sad. Cheers, John

Hi, agree with you. Autel has deserted a group of loyal customers and got them going when they started and then dumped us. As mentioned I have also not bought a EVO which I was going to do how can you trust a company that dumps their loyal customers, I think its very sad. Cheers, John
And if you look at my other post, you will see there is a flaw in the system! 4 batteries need 5 balance leads not 4! Just taking apart another battery to try and build a new higher power battery.

The battery has 4 leads on their connector but it uses the main negative lead as the 5th. So it has 5 in a different arrangement. Just remember this is a battery that was made to charge on their charger not a standard lipo charge. it all works as it should.

The battery has 4 leads on their connector but it uses the main negative lead as the 5th. So it has 5 in a different arrangement. Just remember this is a battery that was made to charge on their charger not a standard lipo charge. it all works as it should.
ADA, would you mind measuring one of the old LiPo packs and tell me what the physical dimensions are of the actual battery pouches?

I've found a few LiPo packs on one of the Chinese sites, but until my latest acquisition gets here, I'm loathe to tear my one battery pack apart...

Looking at these at the moment, and will be digging some more on going to LiOn cylindrical cells, but they seem to be difficult to find in the 10c or higher discharge rates.

LPHD8850097 4900 mAh 8.8 x 50 x 97 5C 3.7V
(A bit 'spooky' about this one, as 5c is right on the edge. I did take the drone and watch the current when I had it go straight up, and the display read about 28 amps for one or two reads..)

LPHD9544100 4000 mAh 100 x 44 x 9.5 20C 3,7V
Thanks,

Steve

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials