Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Using Autel explorer app vs using controller by itself

davshev

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts about the differences, advantages/disadvantages between using the Explorer app vs using the controller by itself? I've been using the app for over a year, but I've never really used the controller by itself. I'm going to assume that the app has more features?

It's actually pretty useful when you're flying VLOS and under manual control. There are of course no Intelligent Flight modes like tracking available without a phone or tablet and Explorer. While you'll also want and need Explorer to set the fine-tuning of flight characteristics (for instance EXP curves, and Sensitivity) once you've done so, they're stored in the AE2 itself, so they work with just the controller. The built-in FPV screen is small, but bright. With a little foam protector I carved out, the controller fits in the outside pocket of a small DSLR bag with the drone in the main compartment (the LowePro bag is a hip pack).

It's actually pretty useful when you're flying VLOS and under manual control. There are of course no Intelligent Flight modes like tracking available without a phone or tablet and Explorer. While you'll also want and need Explorer to set the fine-tuning of flight characteristics (for instance EXP curves, and Sensitivity) once you've done so, they're stored in the AE2 itself, so they work with just the controller. The built-in FPV screen is small, but bright. With a little foam protector I carved out, the controller fits in the outside pocket of a small DSLR bag with the drone in the main compartment (the LowePro bag is a hip pack).
Good to know. Thanks.

been flying controller only since I got my EVO 2+ years ago, never a problem, video and stills are as expected, very good. It's simple, no complications with the extra tech to worry about or get distracted from. Never once thought "wow, I need a smart thing" to make this better
1mans opinion

Reactions: davshev
Screen may be small, but there is toggle button to switch into camera view mode using just the Standard Controller--no smartphone needed

Last edited:
I actually fly using both as the situation dictates. Being able to shoot Panorama, and Hyperlapse are very cool, and occasionally I will use the Smart Orbit or Orbit functions as well. I don't notice any real difference when using Dual Stability, but I do like being able to quickly swipe and adjust my camera settings.
As you can tell - everyone has their own pros and cons.
IMG-5201.PNG

I actually fly using both as the situation dictates. Being able to shoot Panorama, and Hyperlapse are very cool, and occasionally I will use the Smart Orbit or Orbit functions as well. I don't notice any real difference when using Dual Stability, but I do like being able to quickly swipe and adjust my camera settings.
As you can tell - everyone has their own pros and cons.
View attachment 14417
What APP is this screen shot from? My explorer APP for EVO 1 doesn't have all this.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the differences, advantages/disadvantages between using the Explorer app vs using the controller by itself? I've been using the app for over a year, but I've never really used the controller by itself. I'm going to assume that the app has more features?
WorkSite-1.JPG Saturday my phone's battery discharged super fast while I was using Explorer and having great fun flying over a closed and empty work site. It shut itself off mid-flight so I unplugged it, changed the view on the RC and brought my drone home using only the RC. After confirming the phone was dead, I relaunched and continued the fun time using the RC only. It was my first time to use RC only so the bottom line is that it was a life saver....ok, a drone saver. Just wish I'd played around with RC only a few times to better use its features.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58