Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

USB Mini Port and Evo Controller

Autelguy

Reaction score
The end of the USB Mini cable which connects to the Evo Controller is tapered. The USB Mini Port on the controller used for charging is not. Because of this, it seems that the issue found on this video may result on the Evo Controller having the same problem:

There is no information on this on the Evo manuals as to how to correctly insert the cable. I grabbed a screen shot from Autels video where they quickly connect the cable to the controller. Since the port isn't tapered, it's hard to determine which end of the cable plug needs to face up.

Why both DJI and Autel still use USB Micro instead of type C is odd.

Nevertheless, do you guys mark the end of you USB Micro cable to remember to insert it correctly and not damage the port?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190220-064218_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20190220-064218_YouTube.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 72
Look at this photo and you'll clearly see that the port on the Evo Controller is clearly not tapered. The other photo is of the ends of OTG USB C cable and the micro USB charging cable. The OTG plug is squared, the micro USB is tapered.

Attachments

• 20190220_073721.jpg
    20190220_073721.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 20190220_075209.jpg
    20190220_075209.jpg
    956.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I don't. I use a normal micro usb to charge my controller. I just learned from day one to look at the insert and memorize the way it should go in. I've broken enough usb ports in my life, to ruin this one as well.

memorize the way it should go in
Carefully examine the controller charging cord which came with your EVO. The USB A plug goes into the charger while the USB micro B plug attaches to the controller. The USB micro B plug is tapered but, more importantly, the connector slot is on the "top" or longer side. You will notice that there are two lugs or parallel raised rails on the outside of the metal connector … also on the "top". For me these mark the "up" side when inserting the plug. Even though the controller socket is not tapered, you can see that the connectors are on the "top" of the socket also.

Last edited:
I wonder why they used a micro a usb socket instead of a micro b usb socket. The micro b has the taper which makes it easier to identify which way to insert. Maybe the a socket is more reliable in the long run, idk. I mark mine with a dot of silver permanent marker on top so it's easy to know which side is whiich. Also you can insert a micro b cable into a micro a socket which I just found out.
microA and B.jpg

The Micro-A receptacle is also used by other drone manufacturers, (well known) on their controllers. Logic unknown? :rolleyes:

After seeing the guys at the office break the DJI port, I took action.
I marked the charging cable and the standard sized USB cable on my Autel devices. It just makes it me-proof to mark it.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials