Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Urban distance test. Heavy interference

So let me get this straight. You contend that the Evo and the Mavic 2 have roughly the same range in urban environments? I don't intend to offend in any way but that is just crazy talk. The Mavic 2 murders the Evo in range in every environment. IMO I mean I don't think it is even close. What I am saying is in my actual real life experience the Mavic utterly destroys the Evo in range. It is absolutely ludicrous to think otherwise. The Mavic Air is about the same as the Evo. Maybe you meant to say that.

Reactions: G_G and aed1980
So let me get this straight. You contend that the Evo and the Mavic 2 have roughly the same range in urban environments? I don't intend to offend in any way but that is just crazy talk. The Mavic 2 murders the Evo in range in every environment. IMO I mean I don't think it is even close. What I am saying is in my actual real life experience the Mavic utterly destroys the Evo in range. It is absolutely ludicrous to think otherwise. The Mavic Air is about the same as the Evo. Maybe you meant to say that.
The Mavic air uses wifi just like the Spark and it would not even get half the distance in my environment. Sorry but true.

This is a drone with a malfunction. This is not a representative of the Mavic Air normally. I have a Mavic Air and it performs very similarly to my Evo in actual use. I also realize the Air is WiFi however here in the US it performs pretty amazingly. The Evo on the other hand can in the open go about 3 miles. In urban locations it is much less in my experience. I start having signal issues before a hit a mile. The Evo is no where near the performance of a Mavic 2 in range and signal performance.

Reactions: G_G
Madhungarian.....
Where do you live?
It looks like you are near a desert area?
Reason I ask is I see no swimming pools in back of the hundreds of homes !
Here in the cold Northeast almost every second home has a pool !

Reactions: Madhungarian
Madhungarian.....
Where do you live?
It looks like you are near a desert area?
Reason I ask is I see no swimming pools in back of the hundreds of homes !
Here in the cold Northeast almost every second home has a pool !
Hey Atomic, its in Sun City CA, and there are pools but the area that I flew over is mostly retirement 55+ only and those houses were built back in the 60s. My house cannot be seen but there are ones in the beginning. I actually have a pool. :) Have a great day.

Reactions: mavicn00b
Why does it matter how far these drones can go. All aviation agencies around the world will tell you to remain within VLOS. That is less than a 1km away.
I am referring to high interference area. I already know how far the EVO can go without much interference. Now I can check who is working in the morning at the parking lot before I show up. :)

Hey Atomic, its in Sun City CA, and there are pools but the area that I flew over is mostly retirement 55+ only and those houses were built back in the 60s. My house cannot be seen but there are ones in the beginning. I actually have a pool. :) Have a great day.
:p:p

NewZona check your facts. Dustin Dunhill on YT compared the M2 with Evo flying the same route. M2 3.6 miles Evo 3.5 miles. Hardly “murdering” or “destroying” the Evo. The only thing “ludicrous” is your asinine comment.

NewZona check your facts. Dustin Dunhill on YT compared the M2 with Evo flying the same route. M2 3.6 miles Evo 3.5 miles. Hardly “murdering” or “destroying” the Evo. The only thing “ludicrous” is your asinine comment.
I think he had both drones automatically kick in RTH since the batteries were getting low and still have good video.

So, are you aware of any other accurate, head to head comparisons or is it just your own opinion?

Are you legally allowed to fly over towns and roadways in the US? In Australia if caught you could be fined several thousand dollars!

I'm sure these fellows are up to date on the rules and regs for where they are flying but just in case they are not LOL

7.1.3 The Aircraft is Flown Within the Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) of the Person Operating
the Aircraft or a Visual Observer Co-Located and in Direct Communication With the
Operator. This means that either the recreational flyer or the visual observer must have
eyes on the aircraft at all times to ensure it is not a collision hazard to other aircraft or
people on the ground. The assistance of a visual observer is generally optional but is
helpful in ensuring the recreational flyer is able to check instruments for extended
periods. The assistance of a visual observer is necessary if the recreational flyer wants to
use first person view (FPV) devices that allow a limited view of the surrounding area
from the perspective of a camera aboard the aircraft.
7.1.3.1 Visual observers need to be co-located with the recreational flyer, and able to
communicate directly with the recreational flyer without the use of
technological assistance.

7.1.4 The Aircraft is Operated in a Manner That Does Not Interfere With, and Gives Way to, Any Manned Aircraft. This makes the recreational flyer responsible for knowing the altitude and position of their aircraft in relation to other aircraft, and responsible for maintaining a safe distance from other aircraft by giving way to all other aircraft in all circumstances.

Reactions: Leon N Gauthier
I'm sure these fellows are up to date on the rules and regs for where they are flying but just in case they are not LOL

7.1.3 The Aircraft is Flown Within the Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) of the Person Operating
the Aircraft or a Visual Observer Co-Located and in Direct Communication With the
Operator. This means that either the recreational flyer or the visual observer must have
eyes on the aircraft at all times to ensure it is not a collision hazard to other aircraft or
people on the ground. The assistance of a visual observer is generally optional but is
helpful in ensuring the recreational flyer is able to check instruments for extended
periods. The assistance of a visual observer is necessary if the recreational flyer wants to
use first person view (FPV) devices that allow a limited view of the surrounding area
from the perspective of a camera aboard the aircraft.
7.1.3.1 Visual observers need to be co-located with the recreational flyer, and able to
communicate directly with the recreational flyer without the use of
technological assistance.

7.1.4 The Aircraft is Operated in a Manner That Does Not Interfere With, and Gives Way to, Any Manned Aircraft. This makes the recreational flyer responsible for knowing the altitude and position of their aircraft in relation to other aircraft, and responsible for maintaining a safe distance from other aircraft by giving way to all other aircraft in all circumstances.
Seems somewhat more lax than our rules. Here it is against the rules to fly over a “populous area” or over roads with moving traffic on them. And absolutely verboten to fly over areas where there are people in the street. You can get a waiver if you hold the proper licence and have a hexacopter (or higher).

Seems somewhat more lax than our rules. Here it is against the rules to fly over a “populous area” or over roads with moving traffic on them. And absolutely verboten to fly over areas where there are people in the street. You can get a waiver if you hold the proper licence and have a hexacopter (or higher).
It seems Australian officials are rather paranoid about drones falling off the skies. Probably has to do to the fact that drones down there fly upside down. ?

It seems Australian officials are rather paranoid about drones falling off the skies. Probably has to do to the fact that drones down there fly upside down. ?
Unlicensed pilots tend to do much what they like here, but from later this year the rules will be tightened and that could interesting. Speaking of flying upside down, I’ve toyed with the idea of getting a Traxxas for fun.

Reactions: Ansia
Unlicensed pilots tend to do much what they like here, but from later this year the rules will be tightened and that could interesting. Speaking of flying upside down, I’ve toyed with the idea of getting a Traxxas for fun.
Which model? I’ve looked at the rock climbers, but haven’t pulled the trigger, due to wife issues.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller